cassette help

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited September 2013 in Workshop
I have just removed the 10 speed cassette of my giant tcr1 (105 groupset). Guy who had it before me didnt do a great job of replacing it and I need to know if there should be a 1mm spacer behind the cassette? I ask because you can rock the cassette very slightly when tight.

Also the lockring had a very thin metal spacer around the edge, but bent and in pretty bad condition - I've had to remove it but do I need to replace?

Cheers

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    You need to know what sort of wheels you have - second hand they may not be the originals.

If they are 10 spd specific you do not need a 1mm spacer.

If 8,9,10 spd you do need the spacer.

The wheel name / model will probably on the rim somewhere - Google it.
  • chatlow
    wheels are standard - giant pr2.

will have a look online now
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Shimano 10 speed cassettes require a spacer, will they do on the three sets of wheels I have.
    Replaced my mates cassette on his TCR 2 a while back and those Giant wheels required a spacer, they originally had a 9 speed cassette which didn't.
  • chatlow
    ok thanks, will leave it on. what about this very thin metal washer/spacer around the edge of the 105 lockring? Does it actually do anything?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If it's a Tiagra 10sp cassette it won't need the spacer, but if 105, Ultegra or DA it will

The other one which is concerning you - it's to stop the locknut coming loose, a kind of thrust washer.
    Seing as how thin it is, fraction of mm, I reckon you can do without