Let's talk about train fares

Iamnot Wiggins
Iamnot Wiggins Posts: 685
edited October 2013 in The bottom bracket
Commuting from Brighton to London Bridge to get to work costs £400 a month. Yes, FOUR HUNDRED POUNDS. For a half arsed and non-direct service. Pretty much constitutes legal extortion, especially as there's not really a lot that I can do about it.

Where does everyone come from and how much do you have to pay for the privilege of getting to work?

Makes me miss my daily ride to work quite a bit :(

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Shouldn't this be titled 'Let's talk about living too far away from where you work' ?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • No, not really. If I wanted to earn just OK money, I'd look for a job in Brighton. The fact that the majority of my industry is based in London, and I want to earn a decent wage, doesn't mean I should have my wallet raped by a train operator.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    But if you earn a decent wage, you can afford it can't you?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Presumably you earn more working in London than you pay for your travel!!

That said I've never understood the attraction of living and commuting around London. I wouldn't do it for twice my salary.

I am 30 miles out of Edinburgh and it costs £11.20 for a return trip. So that is about £224 per month.

When I started this commute 6 years ago a return fare was only about £5.50 some inflation that!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    No, not really. If I wanted to earn just OK money, I'd look for a job in Brighton. The fact that the majority of my industry is based in London, and I want to earn a decent wage, doesn't mean I should have my wallet raped by a train operator.
    You could have your wallet raped by a landlord in London instead and save on travelling time.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    No, not really. If I wanted to earn just OK money, I'd look for a job in Brighton. The fact that the majority of my industry is based in London, and I want to earn a decent wage, doesn't mean I should have my wallet raped by a train operator.
    You could have your wallet raped by a landlord in London instead and save on travelling time.

Or get a job nearer to home, earning less money, and having more time to enjoy life instead of being stuck on an expensive overcrowded train :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    ...or the other fares; tea, coffee, sandwich, unfeasibly large biscuit.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    team47b wrote:
    ...or the other fares; tea, coffee, sandwich, unfeasibly large biscuit.

An unfeasibly large biscuit fare sounds good 8)

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Or get a job nearer to home, earning less money, and having more time to enjoy life instead of being stuck on an expensive overcrowded train :wink:

It's only an hour each way which isn't the worst commute available. Plus, I use that time for studying so it's not the travelling that's an issue. When train fares are on the increase above inflation and wage increases, that's where the problem lies, especially if you're unlucky enough to have your wages frozen due to company cuts etc.
  • daviesee
    Its London innit?
    You can either -
    1. Pay too live in London.
    2. Pay too travel to London.
    3. Get a job outside London. Less pay but less expenses.

You're choice. Moaning won't change anything.
  • So all you people who seemingly don't mind getting f*cked in the bum, where do you all commute to and from? Because it's clearly not London!
  • daviesee
    So all you people who seemingly don't mind getting f*cked in the bum, where do you all commute to and from? Because it's clearly not London!
    No, its not London as I made that choice not too.
    Why are you thinking about my bum?
  • arran77
    So all you people who seemingly don't mind getting f*cked in the bum, where do you all commute to and from? Because it's clearly not London!

Correct :wink:

I did the commuting to London for a number of years, not done it for about 6 years now, don't miss it at all :)

seanoconn
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    No, its not London as I made that choice not too.
    Why are you thinking about my bum?

He mentions his bum and raping quite a lot!

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I'm with you Wiggins, ignore these crabby northeners (apart from t47b. Ex northener) The London to Brighton train is extortionate. And for £17 I want a f@cking seat guaranteed!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daviesee
    seanoconn wrote:
    ......And for £17 I want a f@cking seat guaranteed!
    iamnot may be able guarantee it for you. He seems to be preoccupied with f@cking seats.
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    I'm with you Wiggins, ignore these crabby northeners (apart from t47b. Ex northener) The London to Brighton train is extortionate. And for £17 I want a f@cking seat guaranteed!

I'm not a Northerner :evil:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Are you north of London?
  • seanoconn wrote:

Exactly! Standing probably does have it's benefits after a day at a desk but it should be my choice! :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I commuted from sittingbourne to Canterbury in my first job. My salary was £28 and my rail fare was £7.. I gave my mum £7 so I had £14 left for myself. These are monthly figures btw!

Ever since, I have made sure that my commute is not excessive or I get petrol expenses. Probably could have made more money as a lemming, but made the decision. Now, I work with two guys in the community. One lives quite a long way away but I don't mind cos I enjoy working with him. I have a bus and train pass now
  • Mikey23, how long ago was that, if you don't mind sharing?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:

Exactly! Standing probably does have it's benefits after a day at a desk but it should be my choice! :lol:
    Good man. See you under the pier
  • Mikey23, how long ago was that, if you don't mind sharing?

Think steam.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Good man. See you under the pier

Sorry mate, I don't go for online soliciting but you have fun.
  • I did look at working in London but only halfwits and dopes would do that. I mean, if you know how much it is, you also know how ripped off you will be. Its not rocket science, its a choice so stop bleeding moaning you soft, namby pamby, latte sipping communter. :P
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • seanoconn
    I did look at working in London but only halfwits and dopes would do that. I mean, if you know how much it is, you also know how ripped off you will be. Its not rocket science, its a choice so stop bleeding moaning you soft, namby pamby, latte sipping communter. :P
    In other words, London chose not to employ you :wink:
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Are you north of London?

Nope, proper southerner me :wink:

seanoconn
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    My nephew has basically been forced to give up his London based job at HP because the fares were so excessive he barely had money left over to indulge in any sort of lifestyle. He now works in Southend with a job that pays significantly less but has enough money to live as a normal 21 year old should!!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I think I was accused of being an ex northerner?

Is that meant to mean I used to live north of where I live now or that you think I used to live in the north of England?

I am from the New Forest so that only makes me a northerner to the people of the Isle of Wiggit.

Never been north of manchester and only went that far north because it was where the plane landed.

Not sure whether you were insulting me or not, please let me know so that I know whether to take offense or not :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    team47b wrote:
    I think I was accused of being an ex northerner?

Is that meant to mean I used to live north of where I live now or that you think I used to live in the north of England?

I am from the New Forest so that only makes me a northerner to the people of the Isle of Wiggit.

Never been north of manchester and only went that far north because it was where the plane landed.

Not sure whether you were insulting me or not, please let me know so that I know whether to take offense or not :D
    Neither. I was obviously talking b0llocks.