Trail Night Riding Etiquette

James T
James T Posts: 104
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Is a rear light de rigueur when riding at a trail centre at night, or merely superfluous illumination.

Comments

• Yes but not flashing.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I never bother if I'm just riding a trail centre. The 1200 lumens of light at the front of me should tell soneine thst I'm in front of them
  • if 100% offroad then they are not required

ifthe ride hasa road best only switched on as required on road sections as most LED's are that bright these days that it affects my night vision/distracts me when following a bright light. Or have a dim and a bright one
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • RobK
    RobK Posts: 19
    If you must have it on don't have it flashing when in a group as i've been stuck behind someone with a super bright flashing light and its so off putting that i couldn't even overtake.
  • Rear lights are not needed on the trail.

They piss me off, very distracting.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just use a small knog style rear off road, it's enough for me to be seen in the event of a front light issue or burying the bike (and me) off the trail, not bright enough to distract anyone behind.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.