Canyon road bike - selecting frame size

blaf
blaf Posts: 7
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello guys,

I'd like to buy Canyon Ultimate CF SL - http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bik ... ab-reiter2 and I'm wondering what size I should get.

My mesurements are as follows (in cm :)):
Inseam: 86.5
Trunk: 66.5
Forearm: 36
Arm: 66.5
Thigh: 64
Lower Leg: 59
Sternal Notch: 155
Total Body Height: 189

Is here somebody with similar proportions? What size should I get?

I'm deciding between 58 and 60. I would probably go with 58 but worry about small head tube. In contrast to this 60 seems to be little bit long for me.

What do you think?
Thanks

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    IMO your best option is to ring the UK contact number with your sizes, apparently they are very helpful. :)
  • The Canyon email address on the website uk@canyon.com are really helpful - they answered same day on sizing questions. Only issue I had with them was the difference between the delivery date and what really happened - but that has been discussed elsewhere!
  • I have the altimate al which has the same spec, at 1.88 tall and inseem 860 I got the xl (60). I like a good stretch to the bars and wanted the longer top tube , but the 58 might suit you better. I think the head tubes are big and the canyon headset adds to this , with spacers the bars could be set quite high.
  • blaf
    I'm from Czech republic, will try czech and uk support.

Anyway I'm curious if here is somebody with similar proportions and what size he took.

Thanks guys
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    do you have a current bike, if so what size?

I just got an SLX (same frame geometry) in a L (58) because I had a specialized allez in a 58, and it fits pretty good straight out the box
  • blaf
    Crozza wrote:
    do you have a current bike, if so what size?

I just got an SLX (same frame geometry) in a L (58) because I had a specialized allez in a 58, and it fits pretty good straight out the box

I have current road bike but not sure about the geometry. I measured it myself but it's not much accurate.
    TT - 570 - 575mm
    ST(c-t) - 600mm
    HT - 175mm
    SA - I don't know. I think something between 72.5 and 73 degrees probably.

I feel little bit streched with 110 stem with hands on hoods. But with compact handlebar it would be ok I think. I think I have saddle-handlebar drop more than 10cm and I feel I need handlebar little bit higher. I can raise it only by flipping of stem but do not want to do this on the new Canyon. Under the stem I have 3cm of spacer including headset cap.

I think 58 with TT length of 565 would be ok for me as Canyon has little bit steeper ST but as I said before I worry about the head tube.

Crozza what is your mesuarements?
  • blaf
    halfround wrote:
    I have the altimate al which has the same spec, at 1.88 tall and inseem 860 I got the xl (60). I like a good stretch to the bars and wanted the longer top tube , but the 58 might suit you better. I think the head tubes are big and the canyon headset adds to this , with spacers the bars could be set quite high.

what are your other proportions? torso, arm length, ...?
  • I do not know my other measurements , but it is not really relevant as flexibility plays a big part.
    I am running a -17 deg 140mm stem on my xl, because I like to be stretched out and could not get that kind of reach on a large. On the xl I find the head tube longer than I would like and will fit some longer drop bars. One thing you could do is measure the reach and the stack on your bike(if your happy with the fit) then compare to the canyon. If the stack and the reach are the same on two bikes you will be in the same position.