Broken Planet X Freehub

Stevo C
Stevo C Posts: 132
edited September 2013 in Workshop
Does anyone know if spare springs are available - I'll ask Planet X in the morning, but has anyone else suffered a similar problem?

I've posted this in "Road Buying Advice" as well - hope that's not an issue

thanks

Steve
cheers

Steve

Comments

• What exactly is broken?
    It is a Novatec freehub, but I need to have a look at it to tell you which type as there are at least 3 for road hubs. The pawls are available separately and so the spring but only from a taiwanese retailer, BDOP cycling... once you factor in delivery costs, a new freehub seems the better option.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stevo C
    Thanks Ugo/Paulo

I found BDOP last night whilst googling - $20 shipped for pawls and spring. I've spoken to Planet X - they don't have replacement freehubs of springs. It's a Planet X Superlight hub - which looks like a Novatec F172 to me. The pawl spring is a circular wire spring and it's broken in the middle.
    cheers

Steve
  • Stevo C wrote:
    Thanks Ugo/Paulo

I found BDOP last night whilst googling - $20 shipped for pawls and spring. I've spoken to Planet X - they don't have replacement freehubs of springs. It's a Planet X Superlight hub - which looks like a Novatec F172 to me. The pawl spring is a circular wire spring and it's broken in the middle.

If it has a 12 mm axle then it is either a type A or a type C freehub. If it has an extra needle bearing then it is the type C, otherwise it is the type A. If it has a 15 mm axle, then it is a type B1.
    BDOP is the only one I am aware of that stocks spares like those...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stevo C
    Thank again - I've sent BDOP an email asking them if the pawl and spring kit they list will fit. I've also spotted that Wheelsmith have some Planet X Superlight hubs for £20 - reckon that might be a better bet, especially considering the freewheel body is made of cheese.
    cheers

Steve