Focus Cayo winter bike

brearley
brearley Posts: 165
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
Currently building up my winter bike, will finish it off when I can get the stuck gear cable out of my shifter.
Will be running Athena 11 speed shifters, this has been done on a tight budget, altogether the bike should cost under £400 so I will see how the 10 speed rear mech works with 11 speed everything else.
This should double as a spare road bike for early season races.
I've got a record headset spacer to go in which should drop the front around 5-10mm then I will cut the steerer fully.
Has race wheels in picture but for training I'll be running fulcrum racing ones.
Need to get some acetone on the deda stem to make it blacked out.
Trying out some 38cm bars, I currently ride 40s but they still seem a bit wide.
If the mech doesn't work I'll need to buy a chorus or athena mech but everything else has come out of spares.
Picture came out a bit blurry.
Build list below:
speedplay pedals 220g
focus cayo frame 1100g
fsa k force light seatpost 220g
easton ec90sl fork 320g
Fulcrum racing one wheels 1450g
Schwalbe Lugano + continental race 28 tubes 750g
campagnolo centaur brakes 335g
planet x quick release 45g
brake and gear cables 200g
deda zero 100 stem 133g
controltech bars 38cm 240g
sella san marco concor light 220g
record square taper cranks 857g
athena 11 shifters 350g
mirage rear mech 230g
dura ace front mech 75g
Chorus cassette 280g
handlebar tape 45g
seatpost clamp 15g
bottle cages 80g
headset 70g
fork bung 40g
7275g/16.005lb
WP_20130921_0011.jpg

Comments

• Looks nice, but it appears in your weight-weenie quest you have missed a fairly important component.

A chain.

I suspect the whole thing will work a lot better with one fitted.. :mrgreen:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • haha knew I'd forget something.
    in all fairness this isn't a ww build.
    I have stripped slrs, cnc brakes, super record chainsets and 20mm carbon wheels for that.
    Chain is a KMC X11L
    suspect overall weight will be just over 7.5kg
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Wow, looks great - love my Cayo.
    not convinced that this build could come out at £400 though

Matt
  • frame and seatpost came to £150 posted, forks £40 although have had them for 5 years so not really an expense for ths build as they were left over.
    chainset and bb were £40
    wheels were old race wheels sat in the garage, tyres and tubes £25
    cassette has come from race bike,
    shifters £90 on sale at ribble IIRC.
    brakes £35 chain £20
    Obviously over time counting everything that was ever bought it will come to over £400 but items bought specifically for this bike come in well below that.
  • OK i've just bit the bullet and bought an athena 11 speed rear mech for £60 off ribble.
    Should have no excuses now for the gears or anything else for that matter not to work.
    seem to now be running out of excuses to not train this winter now, having a bike that works and some of the best winter kit around
  • WP_20130926_001.jpg

95% finished, headset is slightly loose at the moment as I did not have enough spacers to put enough compression on the headset. I will slam it anyway when I get around to it.
    bar tape needs putting on however as you may have seen I'm having problems with my shifter so not taping until this is sorted.
    Also have an Athena mech to go on.
    all in all not bad for a budget build.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Other than being black, in what way is this a winterised bike?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Well it didn't cost me much, I'm not particularly bothered if it gets dirty and it won't wreck my Super record on the best bike.
    I've got some crud catchers but I'm going to buy a set of raceblade longs to go on it.
    It will be ridden all through winter but it also serves as a spare race bike for next season should the weather call for it.
    If it rides better than my chinese carbon then I may start having problems on what to race and what to have as a winter bike.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    mean...
    that's mean...
  • brearley
    brearley Posts: 165
    so finally got this built.
    Long process due to having to fully rebuild a shifter, snapping a rear mech and needing to rebuild that also.
    Then a new headset was needed.
    This is the point I'm now at.
    f4040fb0-c955-40d3-b88e-7ec9b2c39025.jpg
    7d959fea-c945-4aca-829c-86fa8324f3f4.jpg
    Need some small upgrades. Looking to get a Black seatpost clamp as the silver one looks crap and the paint is bubbling on it.
    Need some new tyres already as these £20 ones are false economy and crap (2 punctures in 1st week of riding)
    I'd love some forks like 3t funda or similar as the current ones don't look beefy enough.
    However it is my winter bike so it'll have to do.
    I'm spraying my racing bike so this may get stripped and sprayed at the same time.
    All the graphics make this look a bit busy.