Wired powertap

raymond82
raymond82 Posts: 330
edited September 2013 in Road general
I've seen a 2005 wired powertap (hub + accessories) offered for 170 pounds, I'm financially not in a position to make such purchases now but I'm anyway tempted.

I'm wondering though, how much use is a wired powertap? Is there a good way to connect the data with data from my Edge 500? I read about sporttracks but that program is only available for PC...

Comments

• dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    You can use http://www.coursealavant.com/pwx2strava.html to merge the files.

I'm in a similar boat as I use a wired srm, but like to have the gps data from my garmin 800 for strava (garmin kept in the back pocket usually). Generally I just upload the power files to GC3 and the garmin to strava. If there's a particular reason I want to see power reading for certain segments then I'll merge them, otherwise I don't bother.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd be wary of buying an old powertap given that they can die anytime and cost hundreds to fix.
    More problems but still living....
  • You can use http://www.coursealavant.com/pwx2strava.html to merge the files.

I'm in a similar boat as I use a wired srm, but like to have the gps data from my garmin 800 for strava (garmin kept in the back pocket usually). Generally I just upload the power files to GC3 and the garmin to strava. If there's a particular reason I want to see power reading for certain segments then I'll merge them, otherwise I don't bother.

Thanks, that's good to know! You touch a sensitive subject though, made me realize that with the wired kit I wouldn't need my cherished Garmin anymore... The GPS I could just record with my phone. Good to know the merging is possible though...
    I'd be wary of buying an old powertap given that they can die anytime and cost hundreds to fix.

That's a very good point, it's also what made me doubt in the first place. Since I would still need to have the hub built in to a wheel it might be too risky....