Is 50 to old to start doing tt,s.

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I have been cycling a year now and I really fancy a go at 10mile tt,s after being inspired by some older guys during the summer.
Now although they are older than me they have been cycling many years so are used to the effort etc.
So at 50 am I to old to start and with effort get respectable times.
BTW I would expect to do sub 30 for a 10miler,as these guys are a lot below that.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    You already know the answer.
  • ^^^ this. It's you against the clock, then it's you the following week against the clock. If you take 35 minutes first time the only thing to be aiming for is to beat yourself. TT's are all about giving your best, going the fastest you can, it doesn't matter how old you are. So get that skin suit on and get on the start line!
  • elderone
    Maybe dodgy,but just looking for any cop outs before committing.
    Tks supermurph,good advice that,bar the skin suit.Have only just got comfy in lycra tyvm.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    50 is just a number - in TTs you effectively race to beat your own PBs. I'm 50 and would back myself against many riders years younger than myself (also happily beating 'youngsters' in triathlon too :wink: )

Setting myself a target of sub 11 hour Ironman next season (would love to threaten to qualify for Kona champs - we'll see) - fitter now than when I was in my 30s.

Go for it!
  • Best not to restrict yourself to 160 bpm :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    If anything, I would say that TTs are perfect for the (slightly) older rider. Less chance of crashing than in a circuit or road race, you can focus on beating your own times rather than everyone else's, and a large part of the skill involved is pacing yourself, which older people are often better at!
  • Surely age isn't all that relevant on a bike....?

Speaking as someone who couldn't keep on the wheel of someones granddad or possibily great granddad the other day.

I mean, I think of myself as pretty fit, I run marathons (or I did until my knee put a stop to it), but this guy was an old man... and he properly kicked my sorry ass.

:oops:
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    The only number you should be concerned about is half of the number you're worrying about - 25 mins!!! Good luck.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Elderone, I'm 50 in March and plan to start doing TTs next year as a way to build on the current upward trend of my riding fitness and strength. My local club has a wide breadth of ages and abilities but in any event it's only the clock I'm racing against.

All the best with yours!
  • 700c
    700c Posts: 59
    To the OP - no, absolutely not. It's a personal challenge anyway so doesn't really matter

But many 50 YO's are fitter than 20 or 30 YO's, and TT's are not about explosive sprinting ability,.but power, consistency, technique and as.well as aerobic capacity, all of which you can be good at if you are 50
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Surely age isn't all that relevant on a bike....?

Speaking as someone who couldn't keep on the wheel of someones granddad or possibily great granddad the other day.

I mean, I think of myself as pretty fit, I run marathons (or I did until my knee put a stop to it), but this guy was an old man... and he properly kicked my sorry ass.

:oops:

Basically you loose between .5% and 1% fitness a year after about 30 - at 50 this means you will be between 10 and 20% less fit. But if you did nothing before you can only get fitter :)
  • elderone
    Thanks for replies chaps.Seems that doing it is a far better option than not,so I will spend the winter training for it ready for spring.
    Good luck to every one else who starts or carries on doing tt,s.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    I'll be doing some TT's next year, never done one before and I'll be 58.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    ABSOLUTELY NOT...go for it, your a long time dead as they say.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Definitely not too old at 50! I turn that age next week and have only been riding for a few years. I consider myself a learner and have set myself some targets that I wouldn't have dreamed of a couple of years ago.
    All put into perspective a few weeks ago at the EDCA100mTT when an 82yo posted 5h18m for the 100mls!
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    50 is the new 35, go for it young gun.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Go for it... don't spend money in TT equipment that you don't need. Guys were doing 20 minutes 10 milers before all this stuff came on the market. For your first TT, take it as it comes, you will do a sub 30 minutes probably and then will improve rapidly down to 26-27 minutes. From there, going into the 24-25 minutes is a lot of work and dedication and if you do get in the 24, then you might think about all the silly things that can save you a second here and one there.
    left the forum March 2023
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    edited September 2013
    Check out this guy for inspiration, although sadly, he recently passed away at 95yo. http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jul/0 ... -obituary/
    On our club rides 24 years ago when I was a young and fit 30yo, I could barely keep up with him at 71yo.
  • Of course 50 isn't too old I regularly get my 4rse handed to me by 50+ year olds and I'd like to think I'm reasonably quick. Just give it a go you'll learn a lot
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    elderone wrote:
    Tks supermurph,good advice that,bar the skin suit.Have only just got comfy in lycra tyvm.
    You're never too old to start! No excuses needed mate, you would be fine. The time you record on your first attempt is merely something to beat next time. Lycra is not necessary, some race ours in t-shirt and shorts and a couple of guys ride MTBs. Hope to see you at an OPCC event soon.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • elderone
    Simon E wrote:
    elderone wrote:
    You're never too old to start! No excuses needed mate, you would be fine. The time you record on your first attempt is merely something to beat next time. Lycra is not necessary, some race ours in t-shirt and shorts and a couple of guys ride MTBs. Hope to see you at an OPCC event soon.
    Cheer,s Simon,I going for it and will do my first at the queens head 10 next year,less there is one sooner. :D
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    There is a 10 mile event over at Waters Upton on Saturday 5th October, it runs up the A442 to Espley Island outside Hodnet and back. Otherwise you are looking at next season.

I would suggest the MSW 30 at Westbury this coming Sunday but it might not be ideal as your first time trial... though TBH if you can ride 30 miles you can race 30 miles.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • elderone
    Simon E wrote:
    There is a 10 mile event over at Waters Upton on Saturday 5th October, it runs up the A442 to Espley Island outside Hodnet and back. Otherwise you are looking at next season.

I would suggest the MSW 30 at Westbury this coming Sunday but it might not be ideal as your first time trial... though TBH if you can ride 30 miles you can race 30 miles.
    Not that quick simon :D.I have some training to do first and a bike to set up and get used to.may pop up sunday and watch though.