Cycling Books

madden2011
madden2011 Posts: 142
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
I'm sure this has been done to death but I need some new cycling books for going on holiday and after some recommendations (preferably iPad compatible). Heres a list that I've read to make things a bit easier

Charley - Domestique
David Millar's Book
Cavendish - Boy Racer
Wiggo's book
Nicholas Roche's book
A couple on Lance
Team Sky book
The Secret Race
Ned Boulting - How I wore the Yellow Jumper

Anyone got any others I could purchase before my holidays?

Thanks

Comments

• I'd only bother with Neds from that list
    A dog in a hat
    The Rider
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I've just brought the full cycle by vin denson for my holiday he's a family friend n was a great cyclist in the 60s. It's a great read.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Ned Boulting's book is a good read - my holiday book of choice this year. David Millar's is also good.
    As for the rest, I've only flicked through a few of them but none of them made me want to read much further than that. Pharmstrong's books are OK - if you like fiction.

Currently reading Paul Kimmage's "Rough Ride" which is OK as well.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    4107Ph7mThL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg

51dM5MDH40L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

51bUy5YUbML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

51xbkoG1G0L._SY445_.jpg

41DSnCqxjkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-69,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Laurent Fignon - We were young and carefree. I'm half way through and it's interesting.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Currently reading Ned Boulting's other book 'On the Road Bike' and the Cycling Anthology Volume 2. Volume 1 was also a good read.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I would have recommended most supplied already but one missing so far is The Search For Robert Millar which I found to be entertaining.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Nothing by Lance "the lance" Myarm'sstrongthankstolotsofdrugs, 'cos he's a mahoosive drug-taking lying cheat who will rot in hell and isn't fit to tighten Mercx's toestraps

"It's all about the bike" by that Penn fella

The Fignon and Millar books are excellent

The one by that Irish fella who was a pro but became a journo

Sean Kelly's biog by Eamonn Irish-chappy

Oh - and off topic, "Tor!", the History of German football, is utterly excellent and (surprisingly) very funny in places

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Oh - and delving back into my memory banks - "Cycling the Himalayas" (I think) by Bettina Selby (I think) - a remarkable story of a woman cycling alone across, er, the Himalayas on her own back in the 80s - I read this as a teenager and remember thinking that she was one very brave lady!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    edited September 2013
    I've just brought the full cycle by vin denson for my holiday he's a family friend n was a great cyclist in the 60s. It's a great read.

Borrowed it from my local library a while back - Vin's reputation as a real character with a wealth of reminscences about the racing scene back then translates very well to the printed page. +1 for the recommendation. Oh, and I never realised before reading The Full Cycle that he was a member of my old club (Clifton) during the time he lived in York!

Of the other books already mentioned, I'll back up the recommendations for those by Ned Boulting, Tyler Hamilton and David Millar. On the nostalgia front, Bikie by Charlie Woods is excellent, whilst from the world of travel writing Tim Moore's French Revolutions is hilarious. Michael Hutchinson's The Hour, about his doomed track record attempt, also comes with a large dose of bone-dry humour, in the same vein as Hutch's CW column.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I enjoyed Merckx: Half man, Half bike
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I've only read "Bicycle Diaries" by David Byrne and "The Bicycle Book" by Bella Bathurst. Byrnes book is more travel writing and only 20% about cycling. Bathurst's book is topical chapters on different aspects of cycling eg one on the TdF, one on "The serious men and the feral cyclists" (Roadies v. Commuters). It's a good holiday book, you can dip and read whichever chapter takes your fancy at the time.
  • One man and his bike - Mike Carter. Very good read.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    SecretSam wrote:
    Nothing by Lance "the lance" Myarm'sstrongthankstolotsofdrugs, 'cos he's a mahoosive drug-taking lying cheat who will rot in hell and isn't fit to tighten Mercx's toestraps

A librarian got into trouble earlier this year for putting up a notice in the Biography section to say that Lance's books had been moved to the Fiction section.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    I've only read "Bicycle Diaries" by David Byrne and "The Bicycle Book" by Bella Bathurst. Byrnes book is more travel writing and only 20% about cycling. Bathurst's book is topical chapters on different aspects of cycling eg one on the TdF, one on "The serious men and the feral cyclists" (Roadies v. Commuters). It's a good holiday book, you can dip and read whichever chapter takes your fancy at the time.

I enjoyed Bathursts book too
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    mudsucker wrote:
    One man and his bike - Mike Carter. Very good read.

This and Tyler Hamilton's book are my favourite cycling books for very different reasons.

Around The World By Bike Parts 1 & 2 by Alastair Humphreys are excellent reads if you enjoy travelogues and feats of endurance.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    This one has long been a favourite of mine..

frenchrevolutions.jpg
  • I'd only bother with Neds from that list
    A dog in a hat
    The Rider
    The secret race is "must read" material out of that list and I've read most of them.

Seven deadly sins by David Walsh is compelling stuff also.

The hour by Michael Hutchinson is a good read and raises a smile.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Another for 'In search of Robert Millar'
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • The Fausto Coppi book is good.

Try also "Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape", the Jacques Anquetil book. Now there was a bloke who led an interesting life.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Bradley Wiggins : My Time
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    mmacavity wrote:
    Bradley Wiggins : My Time

I know Brad's just won the ToB and hats off to him for that, but I have to say I'm finding this a bit tedious. It was OK for passing the 3 hours waiting in A&E waiting for an X-ray on a finger I knew was only bent, not broken, but I'm having trouble finishing it.

Found Fotheringham's books on Merckx and Coppi much better written and engaging
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Both "Millar" books are very good as is life and death of Pantani

Tyler Hamiltons secret race and Walsh's seven deadly sins are great if you want some deatils behind the extent of Armstrongs lyingand cheating.

Cav and Brads autobios are interesting ish but not great.

just about to start on Fotheringhams Merckx book
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I must be the only person who doesn't rate French Revolutions, for me it tries sooooo hard, and fails.
    Esp when compared with The Hour, which I thought was a brilliant and funny read.

As a rule I loves my cycling books, I do.

Domestique - Excellent read
    Merckx, Billy Fothers - No stone unturned.
    Dave Millar - first chapter into Barca was thrilling.
    In search of Robert Millar - loved it.
    Sex Lies and Handlebar tape - insightful.
    I like Ned's stuff.

To name but a few.

I still can't believe I haven't read the ANC book.
  • Both of Ned Boulting's books are very good, made me laugh out loud more than a few times. I'm reading "The Rules" at the moment, finding it quite hard going which is surprising as I enjoy the author's column in Cyclist and the website amused me. Read David Millar's offering in a day, couldn't put it down. Both Cycling Anthologies are a good read.
  • kaacp
    kaacp Posts: 93
    'Slaying the Badger' by Richard Moore is the best I've read recently and I'd highly recommend it. It is a great treatment of the Le Mond-Hinault rivalry.

I was disappointed by Fignon's book, I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Kaacp wrote:
    'Slaying the Badger' by Richard Moore is the best I've read recently and I'd highly recommend it. It is a great treatment of the Le Mond-Hinault rivalry.

I was disappointed by Fignon's book, I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.

I agree with both statements - I thought Fignon portrayed himself as quite unlikeable. I felt that the problem with the book was that it was an autobiography, if Bill Fotheringham had written it I reckon Fignon would have come out of it better.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Bike-Ride ... ck+sanders
    Well worth a penny.The illustrated version is better
    jc