Expected Tyre Wear Mileage

Cannock Chase
Cannock Chase Posts: 558
edited September 2013 in Road general
On average how many miles or km's would you expect to get out of a road tyre?
I'm replacing the Bontrager R1's which came on my Trek so have been Googling some reviews. As always there are good and bad for whatever tyres I look at. Some claim they've only done 1000km before they've had it! Surely not true!
What would you consider normal..??
I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
Trek Madone - Carbon

Comments

• there is no such thing as average... tyres can last 1,000 miles or 10,000 miles... depends what tyres you buy and where you ride.
    left the forum March 2023
  • I have a set of Gatorskins on my Thorn Audax Mk3 which are approaching 4100 miles (yes I admit I do log distance covered :oops:). I also have a set of Marathon Plus on my Dawes Galaxy which have just passed 4000 miles.

Both sets still going strong, if looking a bit battered.

Most riding in and around London/Surrey.
  • there is no such thing as average... tyres can last 1,000 miles or 10,000 miles... depends what tyres you buy and where you ride.
    Yes I appreciate it depends on the rider and over what surfaces but 1000 miles or even worse 1000km (625 miles) is pretty poor by anyone's standards.
    Trek Madone - Carbon
    Yes I appreciate it depends on the rider and over what surfaces but 1000 miles or even worse 1000km (625 miles) is pretty poor by anyone's standards.

Yes, but when you pay 9 pounds for a tyre OR you get a tyre which is meant to be used for time trialling, that kind of mileage is to be expected...
    In your specific case, those tyres are probably crap... you should get 2-3000 miles out of most 23 mm road tyres. If you want big mileage, then you can look at touring tyres.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    there is no such thing as average... tyres can last 1,000 miles or 10,000 miles... depends what tyres you buy and where you ride.

Yes, but when you pay 9 pounds for a tyre OR you get a tyre which is meant to be used for time trialling, that kind of mileage is to be expected...
    In your specific case, those tyres are probably crap... you should get 2-3000 miles out of most 23 mm road tyres. If you want big mileage, then you can look at touring tyres.

Eh?! "there's no such thing as average" ... then "you should get 2-3000 miles out of most 23 mm road tyres."

Make up your mind Ugo!

Anyway - there is such a thing as average - it may or may not be meaningful though. Considering we're in Road General, the OP has mentioned Road Tyre and Bontranger R1s - which are a slick road tyre you could assume that the OP wants a road tyre suitable for on the road.... The Bontranger is in the same price bracket as the Specialized All Condition Sport tyre - at just under £20 each. So it's not a cheapo tyre, but it's not one of the more expensive ones either.
    My experience of the Specialized tyres is that they last for about 1000 miles and then start puncturing frequently - at which point they are replaced - I've found this to occur on 2 sets of tyres ... I replaced with Conti GP4Seasons and more recently GP4000s (two wheelsets) and so far the GP4seasons have done >2900 miles of mostly road riding and one of the GP4000s is up to 1000 miles + (second hand when I bought it) - the other suffered a slash to the sidewall and was replaced.
    Obviously you're paying a premium for the better tyre - but I've found them to last longer so in the long run I'm saving money (assuming I don't get any more sidewall slashes!) and the tyres seem to roll better.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    As an idea of what is being said IME

Continental Gatorskins Hardshells (top notch commuting tyre) typically 6000 miles plus.

Vittoria Evo CX (probably the best fast road performance tyre) typically 2000 max.

You can not have amazing grip/feel AND lots of miles, it is a trade off.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Slowbike wrote:

Eh?! "there's no such thing as average" ... then "you should get 2-3000 miles out of most 23 mm road tyres."

Make up your mind Ugo!
    FFS... you and your other couple of friends have nothing better to do than picking on every single word I use?

Besides, if you read carefully I am not saying average 2-3000, but what I mean at least 2-3000 out of most road tyres... some will exceed, some will not
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Slowbike wrote:

Make up your mind Ugo!
    FFS... you and your other couple of friends have nothing better to do than picking on every single word I use?

Besides, if you read carefully I am not saying average 2-3000, but what I mean at least 2-3000 out of most road tyres... some will exceed, some will not

Most road tires getting 2-3000 miles is the sort of answer the OP would of been looking for though. But as you say, there can be some massive variables which makes that number quite pointless without suggestions on what tires would give you those figures.

Cheapo tires obviously aren't going to last long, but neither are the most expensive as they are designed to go fast over a race or 2, not training all year round.

Most companies will tell you what its designed for, I find Continentals the easiest with a table ranging from fitness to race and pro tour. Training and Sportivs are probably the best suited for higher mileage
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    smidsy wrote:
    As an idea of what is being said IME

Continental Gatorskins Hardshells (top notch commuting tyre) typically 6000 miles plus.

Vittoria Evo CX (probably the best fast road performance tyre) typically 2000 max.

You can not have amazing grip/feel AND lots of miles, it is a trade off.

I've been using Corsa Evo CX for all my riding since April until just over a week ago, it's been a poor year for me mileage wise but about 2000 miles and they still look like new. I've been really impressed by them in comparison to my prevous Pro 3s.
  • Calm down Gents...!!

I suppose I'm expecting to much from a road tyre. I'm sixty-two and use my bike to hopefully keep fit in old age. I used to cycle approx 1500 miles a year commuting to and from work. This was on an old rigid mountain bike shod with cheap Wilko tyres..!! When I retired they had been on for 3-4 years approx 4-5000 miles. They were starting to show cracks but apart from the odd glass puncture from the cycle path gave no problem. I think 3000 miles should be reasonable for Gatorskins which is what I am thinking of getting.
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Pross wrote:
    I've been using Corsa Evo CX for all my riding since April until just over a week ago, it's been a poor year for me mileage wise but about 2000 miles and they still look like new. I've been really impressed by them in comparison to my prevous Pro 3s.

Agreed - they are a brilliant tyre and I have currently done about 700 miles on my current set and still look like new too.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

Make up your mind Ugo!

Your first reply wasn't helpful - then you contradict yourself in the second - you're saying you should get at least 2-3000 miles out of most road tyres - isn't that a form of average?!

FFS - me and my other couple of friends? what's that supposed to mean? Are you feeling ganged up on?
    I disagree with a lot of folk on here ... I try not to pick on anyone in particular! :lol:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Make up your mind Ugo!

Your first reply wasn't helpful - then you contradict yourself in the second - you're saying you should get at least 2-3000 miles out of most road tyres - isn't that a form of average?!

FFS - me and my other couple of friends? what's that supposed to mean? Are you feeling ganged up on?
    I disagree with a lot of folk on here ... I try not to pick on anyone in particular! :lol:

qteb.gif
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I replaced my GP4000s tyres after 3500 miles; I was getting at least one punctures at every 50 miles by that stage

Add that to your average ;)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Average from 1000 to 10000 which is not an average... Yup, that's acceptable
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I get about 2-4000 miles and virtually zero punctures out of Pro 3s, on a route that doesn't involve much braking usually.
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Average from 1000 to 10000 which is not an average... Yup, that's acceptable

How many punctures?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    Ok, serious answer this time. Been riding about 2 years and done about 7 k miles on defy 4 and later a spesh roubaix comp. neither set of tyres they came with I was very happy with, just didn't feel right ... So have replaced both bikes with conti gatorskins and am well chuffed with them. Have had 4 punctures and only one on the contis which seem pretty bomb proof, roll well and suit my style of riding and living in East Cornwall. I would be disappointed if I didn't get 3 to 4 k out of them
  • I quite often ride home with the wife though the park, which has gravel paths, plus the london/surrey roads so normally the tyres don't wear out but become so cut up that I eventually replace.

even so normally 2-3k on training tyres normally 250/300g £20 ish
  • Put some GP4000s on earlier this year. Tracking my mileage I'm showing 1650 miles on them so far. The rear is starting to cut up a little, but probably some life left yet, and the front is showing slight signs of wear.
    I'm thinking new turbo trainer tyre for the rear and the winter, then new 4000s in the new year for the front and put the previous front on the rear.

Will also put some Gatorskins on winter bike possibly!!
  • I think I got about 1200miles out of my last gp4000s(rear). Many variables though, mostly done on bad Dartmoor roads, I was a bit overweight, I'm quite heavy on the brakes descending. However, I like to think it is my incredible power output that causes most of the wear :)
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I ride Ultremo's and have 3500 miles on the rear and it's still good for some more. I got 3000 out of the last one but retired it due to a cut/bulge. Without wishing to tempt providence, I'm not getting punctures but have lost a couple of Supersonics to the dreaded valve stem split. Anybody else getting this?
  • Mikey23
    @dc.. You can think that! I try to avoid anything too steep in either demon or Cornwall. Flat with nice Tarmac is where I go ...