The advantages of new 'standards'

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited September 2013 in MTB general
Let's just say I broke my Anthem frame. Unlikely, yes, cos I ride like a big girl, or maybe just the old man that I am.

So I need a new frame. Another Anthem? Well why not (apart from it having previously broken - see above)?

But it will have to be a 650b size........which means new wheels......... And tyres. Oh, and new forks

And don't those new frames have tapered headtubes? That'll be a new headset then (or at least the lower set)

And BB - is it press fit (I've no idea - but it might be). New BB then. (Will my current cranks - XT hollow tech fit?)

Seat post diameter - has that changed too? (No idea). But surely I need a dropper anyway?

But my gears will still fit, though surely 1x11 would save me weight (if not £) and make me way faster?

At least my brakes are still good to go. Oh, hang on, they (Avid Juicy 5s) are the only bit of my current bike that give me trouble - may as well change them too.

I'm keeping my saddle though (and the bar ends, lost in the shed somewhere, will surely be 'de rigueur' again sometime soon)

So many upgrades, I'll spend so long in the shed I won't have time to ride :cry:

While I'm at it, why has everything, except my salary, doubled in price in 5 years. £1k for 11 gears - wtf?

I'm done now - gonna go hug my bike

Al

Comments

• BigAl
    Should have mentioned, the above is sponsored by Fuller's (other breweries are available) and should not be taken (too) seriously
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All of it or the 'bit of bike lovin' bit?

Just get a decent FS 26er frame suuch as a late Anthem would seem the obvious choice, or look at the On-one Titus offerings perhaps?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigAl
    I should have perhaps made it clear; my frame isn't broken.

I was just having a general rant over how much I would likely have to replace if my frame did break
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Obviously a glass half empty kind of guy. Or by the sound of it, a lot of glasses.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    Yeah, perhaps. Yesterday wasn't a good day.

I guess my point is that all the new 'standards' mean that in certain circumstances, 'upgrades' are forced on you (the forks in above scenario, for example).

It's hardly a new or insightful comment but most of the benefit is for the manufacturers.

Anyway, feeling way happier today, though my head is a little sore.

My frame is fine and isn't going to break (see glass half-full now), but even if it did I'd replace with a S/H version of the same. And hey, S/H prices for 26" stuff must be falling
  • BigAl wrote:
    Yeah, perhaps. Yesterday wasn't a good day.

I guess my point is that all the new 'standards' mean that in certain circumstances, 'upgrades' are forced on you (the forks in above scenario, for example).

It's hardly a new or insightful comment but most of the benefit is for the manufacturers.

Anyway, feeling way happier today, though my head is a little sore.

My frame is fine and isn't going to break (see glass half-full now), but even if it did I'd replace with a S/H version of the same. And hey, S/H prices for 26" stuff must be falling

indeed, its the science of built in obsolescence , if you make good quality bikes and don't change the design( not necessarily for the bette)r from time to time, then people will just keep their old bikes, If all parts fit, people will buy secondhand rather than new. To my mind the recent attempt to foist 29'' ers on an unwilling public was a classic example of this. Having to the most part failed in this endeavor , they are having a second go at 650b
  • I suppose in a way it is almost a neccessity for the standards to be constantly changing and "improving", as it forces us to spend money and update, as the sport itself needs the money to progress.
  • The Rookie
    I am the sort of person bike companies must hate, building up my bikes from nearly all 'pre-loved' parts!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    The Rookie wrote:
    I am the sort of person bike companies must hate, building up my bikes from nearly all 'pre-loved' parts!

this is the entire point of pushing new standards, the evil bike brands don't want you to be able to, if the cost of upgrading gets too high chances are you will buy new.

why do you think 650b is being pushed soooo hard, it makes upgrading to a new frame so damn expensive that chances are your better off buying a complete bike.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • That’s one way of looking at it. However, if you dig a little deeper you’ll find most of changes have a good reason. Bottom bracket type and size immediately spring to mind. The larger the diameter the better, the new 35mm bar is lighter and stronger. The tapered sheerer should be stiffer. One that doesn’t seem to have any benefit is the Shimano brake disk attachment.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Especially convincing when manufacturers two years ago were advertising 29" as best ever, ultimate standard...this year 650B is best ever...
  • BigAl
    b45her wrote:
    why do you think 650b is being pushed soooo hard, it makes upgrading to a new frame so damn expensive that chances are your better off buying a complete bike.

Exactly the point I was trying to make in the (hypothetical) scenario of my OP.
  • BigAl
    Uli wrote:
    Especially convincing when manufacturers two years ago were advertising 29" as best ever, ultimate standard...this year 650B is best ever...

Clearly both are wrong. We need 28" wheels
  • BigAl wrote:
    Uli wrote:

Clearly both are wrong. We need 28" wheels

Good point, but I think you'll find 26" will be phased out, 650b will become the norm and 29" will continue to be a niche. The fact is people didn't know 650b was better because they'd never tried it.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We need standards of course or buying parts would be a nightmare. We need them to update too as parts get tougher and we ride harder. but too many is a bad thing.

44mm headtubes are a good idea - flexible. I like oversized steerers too as it made little sense in just making the stanchions of forks larger.

Bottom brackets are a joke at the minute though, many press fit ones are very unreliable.

I like centrelock rotors, but there is no weight saving overall, just convenient and less chance of stripping anything.

Larger seat posts make sense for dropper posts for stiffness. You can feel flex and rattle here.

35mm bars? How stiff do we need them? Some like a bit of give.
  • The Rookie
    Not sure about centrelock being lighter, in most cases they are heavier (Shimano discs being heavy beasts compared to say alligators).

BB's are a joke!