KONA Process 153 VS. Santa Cruz Bronson

Styrofoam-boots
Styrofoam-boots Posts: 4
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm in the market for a new all mountain bike and these two bikes are the two that I've been looking the most into.

I haven't gotten to ride either yet on my local trails and I can't find any place that has a demo of either bike in a size XL OR L.

I like to focus on going DOWN more than up so drive train and climbing is really a huge issue as of right now, things I'd be upgrading in the future, I'm comparing the low end kits of both models.

KONA Reputation

I know a lot of people think of Kona as trash now a days. Almost everyone I've asked this question to that DOESN'T work for a bike store has recommended the Santa Cruz essentially for the reason of "KONA SUCKS DUDE! or KONA IS SO FRED!" but I've been reading a lot of good things about the new process design. One good point that was brought up is that Kona makes all types of bikes, from road to cruiser to commuter to walmart to mountain. How would their scientific design and research compare to a company like Santa Cruz that only specializes in Mountain bikes.Would it be worse because they have other areas to fall back on and make money from? Trek and Specialized seem to do a pretty good job with their designs.

I was able to hop on the smaller travel version the Process 134 at my LBS and it was actually really nice. The handling was great and can pop the front end up easy and whip the bike around with ease.

I really like how the top tube dips so far down on the Kona, way below the rear wheel giving it a very DH type feel combined with the short stem. All the guys at my LBS, which sells both bikes, have been recommending the Kona over the Bronson to a degree even though they'd make more money off me by trying to convince me the Bronson's the choice.

Rockshox vs Fox

The Bronson comes with a FOX 34 Float 27.5 CTD O/C 150mm and the Kona has a RockShox Pike RC Solo Air 160mm.

I'm more familiar with FOX. My very first bike had a Rockshox fork and I absolutely hated it. That being said though I've been reading really good reviews on the new Pikes. How do they compare to the Bronson's FOX 34 Float CTD for any of you who have ridden either or both? The great reviews that are out there on the Pike have been some what excited for it, but where my concerns really lie are with the rear shock.

Does anyone have any opinions on the RockShox Monarch RT--which is equipped on the Kona?

I had a bike shop worker tell me that last years model of the Fox Float CTD was complete and utter garbage, which makes me hesitant on getting this years.

Santa Cruz

I just watched bikemag.com's Blueprint episode on the Bronson. It was pretty interesting to see the interview with the Santa Cruz CEO. He seemed extremely annoyed and pissed off with all the interviewers questions on WHEEL SIZE and nothing more really on the bike itself.

I don't know if it's just the way the video was edited, but the Santa Cruz dude almost flat out said with 27.5 becoming so popular we had to really quickly make a 27.5 bike so created the Bronson just so we wouldn't lose business. That's almost verbatim of what he said actually. Which is fine if the quality and performance of the bike is perfect, it just left me wondering what if it isn't? Did Santa Cruz really just shit out a 27.5 bike so they could have an option for people in that market?

But with that being said the likes of Steve Peat, Greg Minaar, and Cedric Gracia are all riding Carbon Bronsons in the World Enduro Races. So must be a nice bike right?

When I rode the Bronson around in the parking lot of my LBS I liked it. It did feel a lot stiffer and less nimble than the Kona though. It comes with a garbage stem and handlebars so maybe that had an effect on the steering. I didn't like how it comes with a seat tube longer than your arms. The thing can barely go down the seat tube before hitting the suspension weld. I'm going to be putting a Reverb dropper post in it and hope I don't run into that problem.

This is a really long post as a result of me wracking my brain over this here bored at work.

I'd be getting both bikes around the same price after adding a Reverb and a few upgrades for around $3800.

HERE ARE THE SPECS OF EACH BIKE

SANTA CRUZ BRONSON

full_Bronson_A_3_4_Black.jpg

REAR DER: Shimano M675 SGS (SLX) Shadow Plus

FRONT DER: Shimano M611 or 610 (Deore)

SHIFTERS: Shimano M660 (SLX) 10spd

CRANKSET: Shimano M610 24/32/42 (Deore) 10spd

BOTTOM BRACKET:

CASSETTE: Shimano HG 81, 11-36 (SLX) 10spd

CHAIN: Shimano HG 75 10spd

BRAKES: Shimano M615 (Deore) w/ 160mm rear/180mm front rotors

BARS: Raceface RIde low riser 710mm

STEM: Raceface Ride 70mm or 80mm

GRIPS: Lizard Skin 494

HEADSET: Cane Creek 10

SEAT POST: Raceface Ride 30.9x375mm

SADDLE: WTB Volt Race

WHEELS: WTB ST i23 TCS rims laced to SRAM MTH716 15mm front hub and SRAM MTH 746 rear hub w/ DT 14 gauge spokes, brass nipples

TIRES: Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3 EXO Tubeless Ready Kevlar

TUBES: Stans Sealant

KONA PROCESS 153

process_153.jpg

Frame Material Kona 6061 Aluminum Butted 153mm Travel

Sizes S, M, L, XL

Rear Shock RockShox Monarch RT

Fork RockShox Pike RC Solo Air 160mm QR15 Tapered

Crankarms SRAM S1000

Chainrings 24/36/Guard

B/B SRAM Press Fit 92

Pedals n/a

Chain KMC X10

Freewheel SRAM PG1030 11-36t 10 spd

Chainguide n/a

F/D SRAM X7 Direct Mount

R/D SRAM X7 Type 2

Shifters SRAM X7

Brake Calipers Shimano Deore

Front Brake Rotor Shimano 203mm (centerlock)

Rear Brake Rotor Shimano 180mm (centerlock)

Brake Levers Shimano Deore

Headset FSA Orbit 1.5 ZS No.57B

Handlebar Kona XC/BC Riser

Stem Kona 40mm

Seatpost KS DropZone Remote

Seat Clamp Kona Clamp

Grips Kona S-LOG

Saddle WTB Volt Sport SE

Front Hub Shimano Deore QR15

Rear Hub Shimano Deore 142x12mm

Spokes Sandvik Stainless 14g

Rims WTB ST i23 TCS

Front Tire Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.4" EXO F60 SC

Rear Tire Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.3" EXO 3C

Paint Color Matt Orange & Black

Anyone have an experience and or opinions?

Comments

• I can't really advice you since I'm not the worst mtb freak like i guess quite some of you are!
    But my colleague is raving about the Kona process 153 for almost 2 months since he first rode it at the 2014 Kona bike launch in Switzerland early september. I think the geometry on (especially their genre defining all-mountain enduro) Kona bike is exceptional and very surefooted while being nimble. both in terms of years experience and expertise in mountainbiking Kona stacks up very well against more boutique brands like norco, santa cruz or transition. Only, in the past there seemed to be a trade off with lesser components on the Kona part and slightly dull aesthetics to match. The new design team at Kona really threw everything around, starting off with the operator and then their process line up. The spec is spot on and futureproof. I guess not a lot of people can comment on the durability of the Rockshox Pike fork but in theory it seems to again redefine the genre of enduro forks for some years to come.

I commend you for doing such excellent research on you next purchase and I believe you really cannot go wrong with either. However, my bucks would be on the Kona since it's radical design ethos (i'm not talking about the bright orange hue!) for once really set the tone for other brands to follow in the future.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    To be honest I gave up at KONA IS SO FRED! Obviously you have to be in the know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Just bear in mind the fork on the kona is the cheaper version pike
  • I will be buying the Kona early next year. I hav3 ridden the 2012 model and its really very good.
    I would always take Rockshox over Fox. It wont cost much to upgrade the Pikes damper if you feel the need.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    cooldad wrote:
    To be honest I gave up at KONA IS SO FRED! Obviously you have to be in the know.

Same here what does Fred mean? I've obviously not down wid da yout.
  • chrisvanderkaap thanks for the response. That is the same thing that everyone at my LBS who've tested the bike at kona's event have said. One thing that could be interesting is that it really is a nice bike, but since it's been put out by a non boutique brand people are giving it even more props than it might deserve.

But never the less I just came into a little more money so now I'm looking between the DL (Deluxe) version of Kona and the either the Carbon version of the Bronson or the Aluminum with X0-1 kit.

I guess now my new dilemma is Carbon frame vs Aluminum. The carbon frame is only 1lb lighter and costs $800 more, I can't seem to justify that, except for the fact that its completely amazing looking and I drool over it all day. But I ride really aggressively and fall down all the time, I'm worried how a carbon frame will hold up with my ride (fall) style.

Mark909 and Cooldad regarding the fred comment:

I didn't know what it meant either, that's what people on forums and on the trails have been saying. I had to google it. Apparently it refers to the bike being like a noob walmart brand bike. Idiot cyclists call people "Fred" who either spend way too much money on a bike yet can't ride it, or can't ride and have a cheap ass brand bike. My point was people calling it "so fred" is what I'm hearing a lot and is completely ridiculous.
  • . I guess now my new dilemma is Carbon frame vs Aluminum. The carbon frame is only 1lb lighter and costs $800 more, I can't seem to justify that, except for the fact that its completely amazing looking and I drool over it all day. But I ride really aggressively and fall down all the time, I'm worried how a carbon frame will hold up with my ride (fall) style.

I own two carbon bikes but they are both race (only) frames. In that I appreciate their inherent lightness and lightning quick acceleration. In a (all)mountainbike i'm looking for something different. I'm looking for durability (hence less worrying on rock impacts and such) and above all stability. I've ridden 12 kilo cube stereo super HPC which i didn't find very confidence inspiring. Something altogether different can be said about the Kona!

fyi i'm buying the new Explosif 27,5 AM hardtail end of this month. it adds up to my steel bike collection which I love for different reasons. I love the slack head angle and the tight rear triangle. Perfect for the modest belgium/french rips.

good luck with your decision!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The suspesnsion systems on these two bikes are hugely different. I'd test some more.
  • Thanks for that link! I thought i had read almost every review on it so far lol. I've actually made my "final"--I HOPE, decision. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to order a Kona Process 153 DL version WOOT WOOT!