Cleaning chain and cassette

cmhill79
cmhill79 Posts: 139
edited September 2013 in Road general
Does anyone know of a good degreaser product to clean a chain and cassette. Was looking for something that can be sprayed on and maybe washed off with a high pressure hose?

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I just use GT85 and a cloth. Brings it up like new.
    Then give each link an oil after.
  • I use washing up liquid and a thorough rinse followed by drying and then oiling.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Muc Off spray degreaser. Spray on, work in with a brush, rinse off. Wouldn't use a high pressure hose, as it forces muck and water past your bearing seals. You don't need to use a high-pressure hose if you use the right cleaning stuff.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Any 'citrus' degreaser you can easily and readily get hold of (I use Bikehut stuff as it does the job and can be got easily.), dry and relube. +1 on the no HP hose, you really don't want to force stuff past the seals on your hub.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    To properly clean the cassette you need to remove it from the wheel ... otherwise just some degreaser, brush and a hose.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Don't use a high pressure hose!

There is a chance you will aim right into your hub and displace the grease in the bearings resulting in a very gritty bearing.

It's worth splitting the chain and fitting a quick link. That way you can remove the chain and clean it off the bike.

For regular cleaning of the cassette get a stiff, nylon brissled brush, take off the rear wheel and brush between the cogs against the freewheel rotating the freewheel as necessary. Every now and again take off the cassette and clean the individual components using a degreaser on a rag - WD40 or a citrus cleaner.
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/degreaser-drive ... B004V3QIJY

Much cheaper than branded degreasers. Dilute about 10:1 and use a spray bottle to apply.
  • Get a chain cleaning "machine" and some water soluble, biodegradeable degreaser. Does the job without the hassle and danger of pressure cans
  • Paraffin. Cheap, effective, but not very Eco friendly. Use it on my motorbike chains as well.
  • Navrig wrote:
    For regular cleaning of the cassette get a stiff, nylon brissled brush, take off the rear wheel and brush between the cogs against the freewheel rotating the freewheel as necessary..
    I bought two kitchen brushes with different shaped heads for 49p each from Home Bargains. Do the job perfectly.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • As said, get a KMC quicklink for chain cleaning (big jam jar, white spirit, shakey shakey).

Day to day post-wet-ride, GT85 (or Asda's very cheap spray lube, just as good) spray then run chain through a non-fluffy cloth then light oil then run through clean cloth again. Put a bit of cardboard between the chain and the back wheel while you spin the chainset with your hand so you can go crazy with the spray and not get any on your rims etc. Very quick and effective.

Cassettes come up great with baby wipes - no mess and gets inbetween each sprocket nicely. Get the non-fluffy ones like the Aldi ones. Trust me, if you use the wrong brand they're rubbish, but superb if you use the right ones!
  • Warm water with dissolved Ariel bio power... does a damn good job!