Chainset change

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi people,
I have a kona hei hei 2010 with slx on at the min but it's nearly time to change due to wear and tear. I fancy ditching the triple and going double with a bash guard. What would you guys recommend I an looking at changing the shifters at around the same time, they are the original deore ones and again what do you think.
Thanks

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Well the obvious answer would be to go for the M665 SLX 22/36T double and bash - no doubt you can pick up the rings and bashguard separately from somewhere like chain reaction.
    You can then pick up one of the FD-M665 22/36 specific SLX front mechs, which is much better at keeping the chain on than just dropping your existing mech down the seattube.

As for shifters, I don't know that changing them for the sake of it is really worthwhile unless you're aware that they're wearing out - just use the motivation of all your other kit changes as a good excuse to open them up and give them a really good clean and lube.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, new rings and bash, the SLX double and bash has a thicker axle and weighs more apparently which may not be what you want, double specific front mech unless you are staying 22/32 and keep the shifters.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The rookie,
    What chainset and bash would you say?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your chainset, pick the rings and bash, granny is probably fine (?) so why not just get a middle ring (Shimano) and then a bash, alloy are lighter and more suitable to XC and you can use the existing bolts, plastic bash if you think you'll be bouncing off stuff more often but you'll need longer bolts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks mate