Hunting for sport

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,318
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
E8719E59-3D37-466D-B4FD-BB67D6369F0D-1373-0000027BE0805484_zpscf19404d.jpg976E6BF4-CF54-43AF-8377-916814E1225E-1373-0000027C5FA17A19_zps0853cd18.jpg

Saw this classy number in the car park earlier today. I understand why we hunt to eat and understand the need to cull and control animal numbers. But why snuff out a life in the name of sport?

Any thoughts?
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    You're just jealous that I've got a bigger car :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Maybe the driver was celebrating that they now run free.

Maybe.....
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    Is that stuck on? Looks like a kid left their toy on the car.

At least put it at the front of the bonnet if you're going to do it.
  • I keep a can of expanding foam filler in the boot of my car for this sort of thing. A quick 4 second blast up the exhaust pipe and hey presto, justice is served. I keep it in my kit alongside my portable grider with cutting disc, knife, rope, masking tape, gloves and balaclava. Oh and a bottle of bleach and some cable ties, I do like so subvert. :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • seanoconn
    monkimark wrote:
    Is that stuck on? Looks like a kid left their toy on the car.

At least put it at the front of the bonnet if you're going to do it.
    I'm guessing super glue.... and no, I didn't put it on there.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    seanoconn wrote:
    I understand why we hunt to eat and understand the need to cull and control animal numbers

I'm glad that you understand these things, so can you tell me why do we NEED to hunt to eat?

I haven't found it necessary and I hear you have Tesco :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    team47b wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    I understand why we hunt to eat and understand the need to cull and control animal numbers

I'm glad that you understand these things, so can you tell me why do we NEED to hunt to eat?

Its called "Life"
    Its happened since the dawn of time yet some people argue against it.

I dont like it myself but I also think that people should have choices.
    I dont get the issue about people/horses/dogs "packing" after fox's either.

The fox is a pack animal, they rarely go after their pray single handed and work in a pack so to be chased by a pack is in fact the circle of life.
    That part to me isnt the issue however, I just think morally its wrong to get fun from death or anger.
    Living MY dream.
  • seanoconn
    team47b wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Because the flesh of animals tastes good. If you don't eat meat, you become addicted to cakes and sweets and develop diabetes?
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Because the flesh of animals tastes good. If you don't eat meat, you become addicted to cakes and sweets and develop diabetes?

I think there might be some logic in there somewhere :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

I think there might be some logic in there somewhere :lol:

Nope, none, nada, njet, nein, no no no no no no. none.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    seanoconn wrote:
    E8719E59-3D37-466D-B4FD-BB67D6369F0D-1373-0000027BE0805484_zpscf19404d.jpg976E6BF4-CF54-43AF-8377-916814E1225E-1373-0000027C5FA17A19_zps0853cd18.jpg

Saw this classy number in the car park earlier today. I understand why we hunt to eat and understand the need to cull and control animal numbers. But why snuff out a life in the name of sport?

Any thoughts?

Was it in a disabled parking bay. I tend to find that is where most RR drivers tend to park up.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Clarissa Dixon Wright has a recipie for fox casserole
  • It's sometimes necessary to manage troublesome creatures in your environment.(What would you do with a rat in your kitchen?)

However - killing animals for fun is bang out of order. Anyone involved in such activity should be treated with suspicion.
  • arran77
    It's sometimes necessary to manage troublesome creatures in your environment.(What would you do with a rat in your kitchen?)

However - killing animals for fun is bang out of order. Anyone involved in such activity should be treated with suspicion.

You could be talking about this place :wink:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    It's sometimes necessary to manage troublesome creatures in your environment.(What would you do with a rat in your kitchen?)

I would fix dat rat, dats what I woulda do, I woulda fixed dat rat !
    Living MY dream.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    VTech wrote:
    That part to me isnt the issue however, I just think morally its wrong to get fun from death or anger.
    Not always. It's would be fun to snipe litterers and people who don't clean up after their dogs. They make me angry, and their deaths would be quite fun. And morally justified.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    VTech wrote:
    The fox is a pack animal, they rarely go after their pray single handed and work in a pack so to be chased by a pack is in fact the circle of life.
    What, are you confusing foxes with wolves? I've rarely seen foxes in groups, or even pairs.
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Was it in a disabled parking bay. I tend to find that is where most RR drivers tend to park up.
    Well, he does have a blue badge so that doesn't seem unreasonable
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    monkimark wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Well, he does have a blue badge so that doesn't seem unreasonable
    He might have been attacked by a pack of foxes.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    seanoconn wrote:

Any thoughts?

If you understand the need to control animal numbers surely it should be done in the most humane way possible? If a fox is pursued by a pack of hounds, it either gets away unscathed or it dies immediately. It is never injured to later die an agonising death as can happen with an animal that is shot but not killed, snared, or, heaven forbid, the victim of indiscriminate poisoning. The "sport" aspect is a by product of the unpredictability of the pursued animal and not the primary reason for people riding to hounds.
    VTech wrote:
    I dont like it myself but I also think that people should have choices.
    I dont get the issue about people/horses/dogs "packing" after fox's either.

Foxes do not hunt in packs.

The situation we have right now is not a good one for the fox. This may sound perverse given that hunting of them is "banned" (although the law is so unworkable and poorly constructed that it hasn't stopped) but historically, habitats for foxes (and other hunted species) were maintained in order to ensure that the pastime could continue for all stakeholders. It is the very people, and only these people, who hunt that have a vested financial interest in the maintenance of a healthy fox population - they have no viable "business" if there is no healthy population of their prey.

Right now (at least if hunting were properly banned) there is not a single body with any "business" interest in the fox population of the UK being maintained.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • arran77
    laurentian wrote:
    If you understand the need to control animal numbers surely it should be done in the most humane way possible?

Yes it should, but can you prove this :roll:
    laurentian wrote:
    If a fox is pursued by a pack of hounds, it either gets away unscathed or it dies immediately. It is never injured to later die an agonising death as can happen with an animal that is shot but not killed, snared, or, heaven forbid, the victim of indiscriminate poisoning.

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    If you understand the need to control animal numbers surely it should be done in the most humane way possible?

laurentian wrote:
    If a fox is pursued by a pack of hounds, it either gets away unscathed or it dies immediately. It is never injured to later die an agonising death as can happen with an animal that is shot but not killed, snared, or, heaven forbid, the victim of indiscriminate poisoning.
    Good point arran. But I believe all hounds are issued with side arms and the first hound on the scene dispatches the fox as humanely as possible. That or the pack rips the fox to pieces and the fox hopes to die immediately.
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

laurentian wrote:
    Good point arran. But I believe all hounds are issued with side arms and the first hound on the scene dispatches the fox as humanely as possible. That or the pack rips the fox to pieces and the fox hopes to die immediately.

Thanks sean, that cleared thing up for me, it just seemed like a real generalisation from laurentian but it all makes sense now :wink:

w16f.jpg

seanoconn
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The thing is, this 'hunting' and bloodsports in general is so damned outdated and old fashioned. You get a dozen idiots in red jackets chasing one fox, sometimes catching and killling it and sometimes not, and they claim they do it to keep the numbers of these beautiful creatures down, complete BS!!!

Way over time to BAN this ridiculous spectacle forever ...
  • laurentian
    Good points perhaps but my post was to make the point that IF the population needs to be controlled (as alluded to by the OP) hunting with hounds is the most humane option . . . unless anyone can think of another?

Edited to say that it may not be the most effective method
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    giant man wrote:
    It was banned in 2005. Please keep up.
    Or was that a sarcastic post?
    We need a sarcasm smilie. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • seanoconn
    laurentian wrote:
    Good points perhaps but my post was to make the point that IF the population needs to be controlled (as alluded to by the OP) hunting with hounds is the most humane option . . . unless anyone can think of another?

A skilled marksman would be the most humane option.
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

Good point, and we'll have loads of them with the government continuing the cull of of armed forces :wink:

seanoconn
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    giant man wrote:
    The thing is, this 'hunting' and bloodsports in general is so damned outdated and old fashioned. You get a dozen idiots in red jackets chasing one fox, sometimes catching and killling it and sometimes not, and they claim they do it to keep the numbers of these beautiful creatures down, complete BS!!!

Let me get this right, we should ban things because they're "outdated and old fashioned"? Like horses (superseded by cars), violins (synthesisers), bicycles (cars again)?
    Technology has now reached the point where most things could be set up to run automatically, so then we could ban people.

Or as an alternative hypothesis, the vast, vast majority of opposition to hunting is simple old-fashioned class hatred. Maybe that ridiculous spectacle should be banned.
  • laurentian
    seanoconn wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

I think that could well be the most effective but, for reasons posted earlier, not the most humane
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Out dated and old fashioned huh...that's me done for then