World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I can't seem to find any replays of the TTT on the iPlayer. Has anyone else had any joy?
  • Pross wrote:
    Not a clue sorry, I think it's pretty disappointing that someone seems to rate the National Track Champs higher than the World Road Champs and also not sure why they clash, they don't normally do they? :?

I believe there is a new qualifying system for the track worlds that got dropped in quite late and messed up the riders schedules so whilst I doubt the nationals are part of that it might be something to do with the riders programmes for upcoming events.

There's a bit of chuntering amongst a couple of the Sigma guys about Perrett not riding but don't know what's behind it
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Anyone else see the post ttt interview with Cancellara?

"Fabian! One more question before you go. Can I ask if this is the lightest you've ever been??"

"No, you can't"

*plays ominous music*
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Was looking forward to seeing how Perrett was going to go too, as he had some good late season form going. He was certainly entered, so I can only imagine it was illness or injury that kept him out.

The juniors and u23s will make up for it in the road races. Surely there's a decent shot at GB winning both the men's versions, not so sure about the women's.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Pross wrote:
    Not a clue sorry, I think it's pretty disappointing that someone seems to rate the National Track Champs higher than the World Road Champs and also not sure why they clash, they don't normally do they? :?

I believe there is a new qualifying system for the track worlds that got dropped in quite late and messed up the riders schedules so whilst I doubt the nationals are part of that it might be something to do with the riders programmes for upcoming events.

I appreciate the Wiggle set up has been great for coverage and investment of ladies cycling this summer. But devil's advocate hat on could it have some negatives for the development of elite female road cyclists in GB?

It just strikes me that its not a great scenario to have the GB track girls at Wiggle pepper podiums at RR and TT nationals, to then sack it off when it comes to road Worlds. Could it not cap or hinder the development and experience of up and coming riders, who want to concentrate solely on the road/TT?

For example, if I was a junior up and coming GB girl, who had performed well domestically, showed promise, but perhaps got pipped at Nationals by Wiggle girls etc, for then to see that GB send no one to Worlds because our National champ has other priorities, I'd be pi$$ed off. I could really benefit from that experience, and my sponsors would like it, which would help me develop further, and bring a new generation through following in the footsteps of Barker/Garner etc

Just thinking out loud. Mostly playing devils advocate
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Ed-tron wrote:
    That's a good find

+1. Thanks Ed-tron.

I've also not been able to find Iplayer coverage of the TTT, thanks BBC!
  • Ed-tron wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I appreciate the Wiggle set up has been great for coverage and investment of ladies cycling this summer. But devil's advocate hat on could it have some negatives for the development of elite female road cyclists in GB?

It just strikes me that its not a great scenario to have the GB track girls at Wiggle pepper podiums at RR and TT nationals, to then sack it off when it comes to road Worlds. Could it not cap or hinder the development and experience of up and coming riders, who want to concentrate solely on the road/TT?

For example, if I was a junior up and coming GB girl, who had performed well domestically, showed promise, but perhaps got pipped at Nationals by Wiggle girls etc, for then to see that GB send no one to Worlds because our National champ has other priorities, I'd be pi$$ed off. I could really benefit from that experience, and my sponsors would like it, which would help me develop further, and bring a new generation through following in the footsteps of Barker/Garner etc

Just thinking out loud. Mostly playing devils advocate

I think there are a couple of issues. Firstly there's only a very small number of British women who ride for teams and in races at levels above the British domestic scene. The difference between the womens domestic GPs/crits etc here vs the UCI ranked races in Europe is absolutely huge in terms of distance, toughness of parcours, level of racing, quality of the fields etc.

Here was the top 10 for this year's Nats RR:

1 Elizabeth Armitstead Boels Dolmans CT 3:12:40
    2 Laura Trott OBE Wiggle Honda 1:03
    3 Danielle King Wiggle Honda st
    4 Joanna Rowsell Wiggle Honda 2:58
    5 Emma Trott Boels Dolmans CT 3:20
    6 Sharon Laws Lotto - Belisol 4:49
    7 Claire Thomas Unattached 4:52
    8 Emma Grant Matrix Fitness Racing 4:54
    9 Natalie Creswick Mulebar Girl - Sigma Sport 5:33
    10 Elinor Barker Wiggle Honda 7:29

You take Thomas, Grant or Creswick and you throw them into the GB squad for next Sat, and all you'll have are riders hanging off the back of the cars by the end of the first hour. They would be of absolute no use to Armitstead. Worse - they'd actually be a burden on the team. Their morale would be screwed as they'd be dropped so quickly..(this year's course is really tough, but I'd apply the same to any Worlds course). If GB are not including Emma Trott or Sharon Laws in the final squad, they certainly wouldnt consider taking others whose level is so far below.

There's also a theory - no evidence to prove it but one that carries some weight - that BC/GB wont risk taking anyone outside their testing pool (i.e. ODP, Academy, OOP/Team Sky) to the Worlds. Not because they suspect rider A or B outside of these, but because the risk to UKSports funding, to Sky sponsorship, to everything linked to GB, BC and Team Sky, of someone testing positive in GB kit, far outweighs any potential benefit of taking someone outside of their testing pool, just for the 'experience'
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    That's an interesting read, agreed. Thanks for going to the effort on a Tuesday morning.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    So some googling reveals that virgin customers can record red button stuff as they have specific channels for it, which is good news.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Trash-talkin'* from Tony Martin!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... artin.html

*might be stretching the point a bit
  • okgo
    He's got a short memory hasn't he. Wiggins pulled out the ride of his life not long after the Olympic RR and TDF, and also battered his opponents mid tour, I think he can deal with the TOB, which lets face it was probably not that taxing for the most part for a man like Wiggins.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    okgo wrote:
    So some googling reveals that virgin customers can record red button stuff as they have specific channels for it, which is good news.

I couldn't find out how... do you have a link please....?
    I've got a V+ box not Tivo.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • okgo
    I think the caveat was that you did need the tivo box. On Virgin they're channels 995 or something, have a look on your planner.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    He's got a short memory hasn't he. Wiggins pulled out the ride of his life not long after the Olympic RR and TDF, and also battered his opponents mid tour, I think he can deal with the TOB, which lets face it was probably not that taxing for the most part for a man like Wiggins.

To be fair Martin doesn't seem to be saying Wiggo will be tired, more that he has missed the chance to recce the course which has some technical parts towards the finish. I also wonder whether Wiggo might have been better doing a final block of training rather than rolling round the British countryside for a week? ;)

For all that, it was good to see him give the ToB proper respect and he looks in great form so tomorrow could be very interesting!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Great... thanks a lot. Yes, on my V+ box it's on channel 991.
    Set to record now. Off now for a ride.

Many thanks.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    okgo wrote:
    I think the caveat was that you did need the tivo box. On Virgin they're channels 995 or something, have a look on your planner.

On normal freeview the red button is channel 301 and you should be able to record it from the EPG
  • okgo
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:

To be fair Martin doesn't seem to be saying Wiggo will be tired, more that he has missed the chance to recce the course which has some technical parts towards the finish. I also wonder whether Wiggo might have been better doing a final block of training rather than rolling round the British countryside for a week? ;)

For all that, it was good to see him give the ToB proper respect and he looks in great form so tomorrow could be very interesting!

Yes, that was the bulk of the article, but he did say 'chapeu if he can manage to come to the event in good form'...

By huge fluke I am working from home tomorrow, too ;-)
  • Anyone else see the post ttt interview with Cancellara?

"Fabian! One more question before you go. Can I ask if this is the lightest you've ever been??"

"No, you can't"

*plays ominous music*

Must be on the 5/2 diet

Left me very grumpy too.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Turfle wrote:
    Was looking forward to seeing how Perrett was going to go too, as he had some good late season form going. He was certainly entered, so I can only imagine it was illness or injury that kept him out.

The juniors and u23s will make up for it in the road races. Surely there's a decent shot at GB winning both the men's versions, not so sure about the women's.

any coverage anywhere of the U23
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • GB's Matt Gibson came 5th in the junior men's TT this morning. Very good result for him.
  • Turfle wrote:

any coverage anywhere of the U23

&*£%^&& no, it seems - cos the BBC arent showing it and we're geo-restricted from the UCI youtube stream
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    afx237vi wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    WTF !!!! - Rumour that there is NO worlds coverage on Eurosport ??? why not ?
    In an interview with SportsPro earlier this year, Laurent Prud'homme, director of acquisitions at Eurosport, explained the rationale behind that decision.
    "We used to broadcast UCI world championships," he said. "But unfortunately the UCI had very high expectations for their world championships – financial expectations. .... "

It's on the BBC though, fronted by that well-known cycling expert Jonathan Edwards.
    Re “financial expectations” - The UCI quadrupled their prices for coverage of the main/popular events, like the men’s RR, for this year compared to last.

I’m therefore actually surprised to see the BBC is providing as much coverage as it is.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Ed-tron wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I think it's pretty disappointing that someone seems to rate the National Track Champs higher than the World Road Champs
    It just strikes me that its not a great scenario to have the GB track girls at Wiggle pepper podiums at RR and TT nationals, to then sack it off when it comes to road Worlds.
    I think there are a couple of issues. Firstly there's only a very small number of British women who ride for teams and in races at levels above the British domestic scene. The difference between the womens domestic GPs/crits etc here vs the UCI ranked races in Europe is absolutely huge in terms of distance, toughness of parcours, level of racing, quality of the fields etc

You take Thomas, Grant or Creswick and you throw them into the GB squad for next Sat, and all you'll have are riders hanging off the back … They would be of absolute no use to Armitstead … Their morale would be screwed as they'd be dropped so quickly … If GB are not including Emma Trott or Sharon Laws in the final squad, they certainly wouldnt consider taking others whose level is so far below.
    There's also a theory ... that BC/GB wont risk taking anyone outside their testing pool to the Worlds
    Think this is a bit of a washy argument – it doesn't answer Pross and Ed-tron's arguments about the Wiggle riders, while the field for the world championships, looking at the wide range of levels of participating riders, is actually weaker than a UCI ranked race in Europe.
    The inexperienced riders might be dropped like you say, but they would fare much worse in a World Tour race, so why not let them get a taste of things in Florence. They may be of little use to Armitstead, but they are of no use at all, if not present.
    You also forget the morale-boosting effect of taking part at the WC in the first place, irrespective of how it pans out (provided one’s hopes aren’t absurd).

Anyway, Sharon Laws was in the start list I saw about 3 days ago – has she since withdrawn?
    (And why isn’t Lucy Martin starting. Is she considered outside the ‘testing pool’?)
  • knedlicky wrote:
    Ed-tron wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I think it's pretty disappointing that someone seems to rate the National Track Champs higher than the World Road Champs
    It just strikes me that its not a great scenario to have the GB track girls at Wiggle pepper podiums at RR and TT nationals, to then sack it off when it comes to road Worlds.
    I think there are a couple of issues. Firstly there's only a very small number of British women who ride for teams and in races at levels above the British domestic scene. The difference between the womens domestic GPs/crits etc here vs the UCI ranked races in Europe is absolutely huge in terms of distance, toughness of parcours, level of racing, quality of the fields etc

You take Thomas, Grant or Creswick and you throw them into the GB squad for next Sat, and all you'll have are riders hanging off the back … They would be of absolute no use to Armitstead … Their morale would be screwed as they'd be dropped so quickly … If GB are not including Emma Trott or Sharon Laws in the final squad, they certainly wouldnt consider taking others whose level is so far below.
    There's also a theory ... that BC/GB wont risk taking anyone outside their testing pool to the Worlds
    Think this is a bit of a washy argument – it doesn't answer Pross and Ed-tron's arguments about the Wiggle riders, while the field for the world championships, looking at the wide range of levels of participating riders, is actually weaker than a UCI ranked race in Europe.
    The inexperienced riders might be dropped like you say, but they would fare much worse in a World Tour race, so why not let them get a taste of things in Florence. They may be of little use to Armitstead, but they are of no use at all, if not present.
    You also forget the morale-boosting effect of taking part at the WC in the first place, irrespective of how it pans out (provided one’s hopes aren’t absurd).

Anyway, Sharon Laws was in the start list I saw about 3 days ago – has she since withdrawn?
    (And why isn’t Lucy Martin starting. Is she considered outside the ‘testing pool’?)

Only my thoughts, 'wishy washy' as you deem them - or not. Whether or not you agree with me, BC do not have a track record in very recent years of sending people just to make up the numbers.

As for start lists, what you saw was a long list from BC. And I have no idea what's up with Lucy Martin - she may be injured or low on the form, for all I know.
  • Paul 8v
    Coverage is on now supposedly online on the BBC but I'm bugg£rd if I can find it!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Coverage is on now supposedly online on the BBC but I'm bugg£rd if I can find it!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/24038887
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/24038887
    Ah, thanks, I was clicking on the link and it wasn't diverting me!
  • I'm sure the UCI will listen to polite requests to unblock the U23s streams. Other than that, there's cyclingfans.
  • Paul 8v
    Cycling fans only normally has clips on it, hopefully it will have the whole thing this time.