Cycling and the gym

Obitim
Obitim Posts: 26
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Hi there,

I'm going to be starting to cycle commute to work but I'm also going to the gym and doing a bit of weights too...does anyone here do that and do you have any tips?

My gym is located close to home so I'd be weight training before cycling in most cases...although I may also be doing the weights after work as well it would depend on the shift I'm doing.

Cheers for the help!

Comments

• plet
    plet Posts: 34
    Buy the heaviest bike you can find, preferably one with a basket that you can fill with bricks and avoid the need for the g*m completely. You're welcome.
  • I do love bricks!

That is an option, but I've made a promise to myself to be able to perform 10 pull ups by my wedding next year (no reason, just for me) and not sure if tree branches will take my weight...
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I personally don't cycle in on the day that I have PT. An hours very hard work out tends to kill me for the day and makes cycling very painful. Make sure you stretch out and roll as well, adding the cycling in at first is a bit of a shock to the system!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Cheers, that could be an option, then I could do a bit of interval training at the end of my ride to work (it's a 10 mile commute) on the days I don't do the gym!
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I do interval training on every cycle- mainly caused by all the red lights! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • And a bit of agility dodging cars??
  • I was doing this until a month or two ago when my gym closed down!

Plenty of pairs of socks, extra undies and a decent towel...or else...athletes foot here you come!
  • yeah, I'll be using my gym gear for the ride and showering at work!

I'm bloody lucky that they've got them to be fair!
  • I was cycling ~15 miles a day and spending an hour each day in the gym at lunch. One useful piece of advice is around nutrition, i.e. making sure you eat enough at the right times to have the energy you need. I also used to go easy on the legs if I knew the ride home was going to be tough.

I'm just getting back into the commute, still going to the gym - but the commute has grown by 100% so will be interesting to see what impact it has for me too.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Yep, I do this & it works really great; it complements the cycling - I think the secret is that it adds variety to the daily routine - some days I will swim before work then cycle at lunch (fold up) or cycle first thing & then go to the gym. It just keeps the all round fitness reasonable.

After cycling a lot over the past 6 years, I was definitely stagnating a bit fitness wise because my arms & upper body were not getting any workout tapping keys on my work keyboard. Nutrition wise, I eat lots of pasta, unsalted nuts & fruit & it works for me, plenty of energy, though I do seem to eat lots of little snacks rather than big meals.

All the best

Pete
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Ten pull-ups by your wedding day... Is this some kind of 'bedroom activity' to impress your missus?
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    I'm just about to start this as well. I already lift weights (not that impressively heavy) and from tomorrow i start commuting 15 miles each way to work everyday.

As said, nutrition is the important factor. I'm not sure how far your commute is but it's important to make sure you get enough calories (and the right sort). Your goal depends on this, if you want to loose weight, gain weight (lean muscle) or improve cardio.

Personally, i'm trying to keep the same weight or at least add a bit more lean muscle but i tend to drop weight very quickly. As i'm about to start doing massive amounts of cardio i will up my food intake (pasta, fish, chicken, oats and protein shakes after my morning ride and workouts). I'll ride every day then 3/4 days a week do heavy lifting straight after my ride home. Fortunate enough to have a bench and weights in the garage.

I'm no personal trainer but willing to give any help or advice mate.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    I was cycling ~15 miles a day and spending an hour each day in the gym at lunch. One useful piece of advice is around nutrition, i.e. making sure you eat enough at the right times to have the energy you need. I also used to go easy on the legs if I knew the ride home was going to be tough.

- Jon
    sensible post ...
    I cycle most days and do a full workout 3 days a week as well as squeezing in the occasional run. If I slip up on the calories I'm well and truly knackered for two days. Don't underestimate it. Other than that its great, any neck/arm/back twinges I used to get on 50+ mile rides are a thing of the past...and I can throw the mountain bike about a lot more (I'm still devoid of any skills though :lol: )
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....