How to ride roots?

Rad2474
Rad2474 Posts: 162
edited October 2013 in MTB general
There's few good trails in my local woods some of them have roots growing across the track in varying amounts what would you say is the best way to tackle these,? is it soft fork keeping the weight back to lighten the front or in the middle to keep some weight on the forks. Parts of the tracks are fast but not all. Thanks.

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Keep it straight.

Other than that it depends on the shape of the roots, how much they stick out of the ground, how long the patch it etc. If they don't stick up far just ride over them but be careful in the wet. If they stick up a fair bit you can use the first one as a kicker and jump the lot, there's a bit onthe way to my local trails thats fun to leap over, other bit's that are the perfect distance apart to (badly) manual the front wheel over.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Learn to lift the front just before you hit them. Keep your weight back, try to hit them at their lowest point and hit them square.
    Speed is your friend.
    Remember, without roots and rocks there's no fun.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    edited September 2013
    As above, try to him them as squarely as possible. No tyres will provide you with much grip over wet roots. Lift up the front a bit or if you can bunnyhop them.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    All good advice, I always try to hop them, if I can't do that I'll try to manual over. If I have to pedal I keep my weight central, just enough on the front to keep it from bouncing around and enough on the rear to pedal without spinning out.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Yup look ahead and plan a line that will allow you to maximise straight-on contact with the roots and keep the power on, even if the line is longer than simply going straight ahead. Momentum and a firm grip on the bars is important, try not to let the roots steer you, take control of the bars and don't be a passenger. Be prepared for some complaints from the front end - try and keep it light, keep your weight through the pedals and don't allow yourself to be pitched forward.

Sessioning can help you to become familiar with how you and your bike react in these situations.

Or just buy a 29r
  • The rubber you use makes a huge difference, although I have only found one compound that is "good" on roots - the Continental Black Chilli.

Otherwise, as above - hit them as straight as you can, weight back a little, and float the front wheel
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Speed is your friend.

this

confidence

stay loose on the bike, don't tense up when you see some. Plan your line in advance and attack.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    square on as fast as you can, or just jump them
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or carry an axe and chop the bastards up. All the wet ones my way have evil eyes and nasty grins, just waiting for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Or carry an axe and chop the bastards up. All the wet ones my way have evil eyes and nasty grins, just waiting for me.

This is quite funny, read out of context. Maybe with the subject being roadies.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Roadies? Are you lost or drunk?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Roadies? Are you lost or drunk?

Can't I be both?
  • cooldad
    One is likely to cause you other, and allow a roadie to take advantage of you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • At least I won't remember it
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    back on subject ;-)

If going over a off camber section try to stay high if possible. Its easier to move down to the lower line to find grip if needed than the other way round.
  • No if its off camber try start low and ride diagonally up keeping the pedal on the low side of the slope down.
    Roots are your friends, without roots and rocks you may as well be a roadie.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Shiting your weight in small movements :shock:

Time to visit your GP
  • Look past them and let your bike do the work, unless trying to ride up them ofcourse, this was me at Dalbeattie a few weeks ago,

C13AD862-35D8-45CA-AF22-DE497DD5F048-430-0000002EA669520E_zpsf0c26f1d.jpg
  • cooldad
    Resting?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Bleeding, resting, and crying like a girl at this point, must have tried this 10+ times and never nailed it!
  • HaydenJ wrote:
    Bleeding, resting, and crying like a girl at this point, must have tried this 10+ times and never nailed it!

They look dry, what was the problem?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    HaydenJ wrote:
    Bleeding, resting, and crying like a girl at this point, must have tried this 10+ times and never nailed it!

They look dry, what was the problem?

They do a lot of that oop north, up at Kirri I was stumped by all the rock step ups like that. No chance to build up any momentum and cant pedal up it/no trials skillz.

I'll keep an eye out for that when I'm there next summer and if I make it I'll come on here and gloat :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Why would you try and ride up roots? just why
  • cooldad
    Er because they're there, on the trail, in front of you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Wheres the fun? 9 times out of 10 Your're just going to end up coming off
  • cooldad
    Obviously you lack the Gnarrrrly Skillllz required.
    Sometimes it’s just satisfaction. I don’t have the fitness to beat the youngsters uphill, or the balls to beat them downhill, but there is a rooty trail I ride regularly. I make it most times in the dry, 50/50 when it’s wet. Lots of people don’t so it’s my small claim to heroism.
    Although that one in the pic does look quite tricky.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Obviously you lack the Gnarrrrly Skillllz required.
    Sometimes it’s just satisfaction

Obviously. Where can I purchase said Gnarrrrly Skilllz? Sounds good. Yeah fair play to satisfaction.
  • cooldad
    Gnarrrrrly Skilllzz are expensive but I can help. Just transfer the money (cash, Paypal, diamonds or gold teeth accepted) and I’ll send them over using telepathy. No guarantee or refund though if your brain isn’t big enough to receive them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Gnarrrrrly Skilllzz are expensive but I can help. Just transfer the money (cash, Paypal, diamonds or gold teeth accepted) and I’ll send them over using telepathy. No guarantee or refund though if your brain isn’t big enough to receive them.

Ok, I've sent ten of my finest diamonds over. That should buy me a whole lot of Gnar. I dont keep my gnaarrly skillz in my brain anyway, its in my blood.