What wheels?

h4z2
h4z2 Posts: 49
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
My 2009 Trek Madone 4.5 is still on the standard bontrager race wheels. Thinking of upgrading the wheels but what to got for?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • h4z2
    Grill wrote:

Can't find a price but I guess they are high end expensive.

How much would I need to spend to get a worthwhile upgrade without making a large outlay for a minimal improvement? I am happy to consider used parts.

From my questions you can tell I am a bit new to the idea of upgrading the bike.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You can do well with handbuilts with a budget as low as 400 (Ugo is the one to speak to on this). To get a real improvement over that you're looking at 1500+ and tubular.

Those wheels are around 4k :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Hi, try using the search function, there are loads of wheel threads to gain some information. Should give you some pointers and then hopefully you can make a more informed decision.
  • h4z2
    Right, lets try another direction. I do roughly 1000 miles general road riding a year country lanes etc. I weight approximately 82kg. My current wheels weight 817g front and 1140g rear.

I intend on ordering Campagnolo Zonda wheelset tomorrow unless anyone can make a better suggestion or have a good reason I shouldn't buy these?
  • May I suggest that for your mileage and type of riding your wheels are perfectly fine?
    left the forum March 2023
  • h4z2
    Would there not be a noticeable difference between the zonda and my current wheels? I would like to do more miles, road cycling is something I am new to.
  • h4z2 wrote:
    Would there not be a noticeable difference between the zonda and my current wheels? I would like to do more miles, road cycling is something I am new to.

Yes, they will feel nicer, that's no question and if they make you go further and enjoy your cycling more, then it's money well spent
    left the forum March 2023