Should a 45 minute ride, destroy my arse?!

danbt
danbt Posts: 21
edited October 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I dusted off my (practically brand new) Specialized Rockhopper and I went for a leisurely 45 minute ride the other day, probably around 3 1/2 miles in total.

I use the stock saddle and I wear a dHb Bib, with a padded rear-end.

While riding, I only really notice slight discomfort when going over bumps/pot holes. Though, after the ride, for the next 36 hours; my arse really hurt!

I'm 22, 6ft2 and around 16 1/2 stone. So I know my weight is a huge factor here. But, should it hurt this much after such a short ride? Or is this most certainly a seating issue? I'm pretty sure I have the height right, but possibly not the horizontal positioning.

Any ideas and advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Depends on whether you're giving or taking... :lol:
  • danbt wrote:
    Hi all,

I dusted off my (practically brand new) Specialized Rockhopper and I went for a leisurely 45 minute ride the other day, probably around 3 1/2 miles in total.

I use the stock saddle and I wear a dHb Bib, with a padded rear-end.

While riding, I only really notice slight discomfort when going over bumps/pot holes. Though, after the ride, for the next 36 hours; my ars* really hurt!

I'm 22, 6ft2 and around 16 1/2 stone. So I know my weight is a huge factor here. But, should it hurt this much after such a short ride? Or is this most certainly a seating issue? I'm pretty sure I have the height right, but possibly not the horizontal positioning.

Any ideas and advice would be great.

Thanks

you will get saddle sore if you not used to it, but no not to the extent you indicate unless you have hemorrhoids

It is possible you have too much weight on your bum ,, i aim to have something like 20-25% of the weight on my arms, too much and you replace sore bum with sore wrists, slide you saddle back an inch and see if that helps
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes. Ride more and your bum toughens up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • danbt
    Right.

Sounds like I'm just being a wimp.

I'm gonna go get on the bike and sort myself out :)

Cheers all.
  • Any saddle takes a while to get used to, a change in saddle will hurt you for a while.
  • Depends on whether you're giving or taking... :lol:

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    This post needs moving to the Crudcatcher :mrgreen:
  • danbt
    Well there we are,

Back from a good 45 minute ride in an area we call, "The Valley." Which is basically just a trail made of gravel/clay/mud that runs along a stream in an oval around some foliage and forest.

I over-estimated the grip of my tires (Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.5") And under-steered straight through a section of mud and put myself in a bush of stinging nettles!

So my left arm features a nice gash from an ever-so-kind tree branch and my right arm is covered in a stinging rash, but, how about it... my arse is fine :) I shifted back my saddle by about an inch, and I think it has made a difference.

Not sure if I could get rid of my MTB to be honest, I enjoyed that :)
  • danbt wrote:
    Well there we are,

Back from a good 45 minute ride in an area we call, "The Valley." Which is basically just a trail made of gravel/clay/mud that runs along a stream in an oval around some foliage and forest.

I over-estimated the grip of my tires (Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.5") And under-steered straight through a section of mud and put myself in a bush of stinging nettles!

So my left arm features a nice gash from an ever-so-kind tree branch and my right arm is covered in a stinging rash, but, how about it... my ars* is fine :) I shifted back my saddle by about an inch, and I think it has made a difference.

Sound like you are getting on just fine. :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    danbt wrote:
    I over-estimated the grip of my tires (Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.5") And under-steered straight through a section of mud
    Easily done seeing as how those tyres will give about as much grip as a wet bar of soap on a pane of glass on mud!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    danbt wrote:
    Well there we are,

So my left arm features a nice gash from an ever-so-kind tree branch and my right arm is covered in a stinging rash, but, how about it... my ars* is fine :) I shifted back my saddle by about an inch, and I think it has made a difference.

Try getting on it again tonight, it'll probably still hurt. Takes couple of weeks for your arse to properly get used to it. When I first started riding again (similar weight to you I was about 25) I suffered for the first couple of weeks. Now sometimes I don't even bother with padded shorts. Just like the good old days.

Sounds like your getting it though. Good on ya.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes. Ride more and your bum toughens up.

Easy sailor ;)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    prawny wrote:
    danbt wrote:
    Well there we are,

Try getting on it again tonight, it'll probably still hurt. Takes couple of weeks for your ars* to properly get used to it. When I first started riding again (similar weight to you I was about 25) I suffered for the first couple of weeks. Now sometimes I don't even bother with padded shorts. Just like the good old days.

Sounds like your getting it though. Good on ya.

Yeah the aluminium hard tails are very stiff at the back and while you get great power delivery they also beat you up a bit until you get used to it. If you put some fatter tyres on they will grip better off road and smooth the ride out a bit more.
  • I used to run below 20psi off road riding on my hard tail on non rocky stuff.

To be honest I sit as little as possible, only on boring up hills. Anything with variation in terrain or trail obstacles it's seat low and weight through the legs and thighs because although I might take a seat in a berm or for a breather on a smooth section I hate the transferred vibrations to my neck.

The marathons look really rubbish. They look more like a winter road tyre. Are you sure this is a mtb, not a hybrid. :roll:
  • tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    im the same, at the moment im double bagging, Cycling gel shorts then Fox freeride shorts with chamois, feels like a cushion, although quite hot.

getting better though as I kill of the nerves around the sack area and starfish :oops:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    some saddles are just rubbish for your anatomy. recently got a SDG bell air and it is night and day for comfort compared to my old saddle. also having the saddle at the right height, length and angle will help too