World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Oh my days!

OPQS retain the title by 0.88 from Greenedge.

That was close! :shock:

Edit - Svein Tuft looks absolutely gutted. :(
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Good start to the week.

Maybe provide a slightly larger podium for next year. And those are my favourite podium girls ever.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Edit - Svein Tuft looks absolutely gutted. :(
    Me too! :(
    Orica was my PTP tip and when they took the lead at the third and last intermediate (albeit by only 1.5 secs, but earlier they were a whole 14 secs behind OPQS), I thought they'd be able to hold on to it.

Over that distance, the gap was less than 12 metres, meaning in a virtual world, as they crossed the line, the front Orica rider might have been riding immediately behind, or part next to, the last OPQS rider.
  • Yes that is a great result. Really pleased for Martin and OPQS. So pleased the Aussies didnt take it. Totally ridiculous that a TTT of that distance is so close. Holm said it would be...I guess these guys are just going as fast as is physically possible for humans. Garmin got smoked...should probably stop thinking of them as TTT beasts.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I particularly like Kwiatkowski's habit of winking at whoever is presenting him with something on the podium. He's a cheeky chap.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    WTF !!!! - Rumour that there is NO worlds coverage on Eurosport ??? why not ?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    WTF !!!! - Rumour that there is NO worlds coverage on Eurosport ??? why not ?

In an interview with SportsPro earlier this year, Laurent Prud'homme, director of acquisitions at Eurosport, explained the rationale behind that decision.

"We used to broadcast UCI world championships," he said. "But unfortunately the UCI had very high expectations for their world championships – financial expectations. We can understand this, but when people are facing a complicated economic situation, sometimes they want to get the money immediately and we were not inclined to match their expectations because cycling is really interesting for us, but we have to always bear in mind that Eurosport is pay-TV, and we have to provide our viewers with exclusive content, and we were not able to be exclusive on the UCI world championships."

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/infr ... hip_deals/

It's on the BBC though, fronted by that well-known cycling expert Jonathan Edwards.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    gpreeves wrote:
    Specialized Lululemon win the women's TTT 1 minute 10 seconds quicker than Rabobank and with an average speed of 50kph.

Well done to the UCI for organising absolutely no live coverage of the women's event. Wouldn't have taken much more effort to give equal exposure during the Worlds.

Who's the commentator on the BBC? He's just described Cancellara as a "dark horse"...
    Please tell me that wasn't Boardman?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:
    Specialized Lululemon win the women's TTT 1 minute 10 seconds quicker than Rabobank and with an average speed of 50kph.

Well done to the UCI for organising absolutely no live coverage of the women's event. Wouldn't have taken much more effort to give equal exposure during the Worlds.

Who's the commentator on the BBC? He's just described Cancellara as a "dark horse"...
    Please tell me that wasn't Boardman?

Unfortunately I think it probably was, will have to check when they upload it to Iplayer.

Boardman wasn't having his best day, later on he convinced himself that Cannondale were half a minute up on the other teams as he misinterpreted the GPS splits. Usually I find him to be one of the better pundits/commentators, but he didn't exactly shower himself in glory today.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Fantastic effort by so many teams, congratulations to all involved for a very exciting event.

And then to spoil it all, dirty Pat Maquaid gave the prizes. Clean riders all over the podium and the protector of doper giving the prizes. The sooner he goes the better.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    Would some kind soul be able to tell me who is going to win the Women's ITT and the RR? Or at least who the favourites are.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Yes, the UCI needs a clean slate, if that is possible. :(

Apologies the post above beat me by seconds, I was refering to the post above that.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Would some kind soul be able to tell me who is going to win the Women's ITT and the RR? Or at least who the favourites are.

Bit of guesswork here, but Linda Villumsen (NZ) and Evelyn Stevens (USA) are both listed as riding. They were 3rd and 2nd in last year's event, so could be in with a decent chance of winning. PFP is a handy TTer too (and just noticed she's not entered for the TT), but that's about the extent of my women's cycling knowledge!

No idea for the RR, Davidof who posts on here is very clued up on women's cycling so might be able to suggest a few favourites?

The entries list can be seen here:

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTYzNDI&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=ODkyMzA&LangId=1
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2013
    TheBigBean wrote:

RR:

Vos (obvs)
    Bronzini
    Stevens
    Villumsen
    Worrack
    Wild
    Abbott
    Gillow
    Cromwell
    Armitstead
    Ferrand-Prevot

TT:
    Stevens
    Vilumsen]

EDIT - re TT
    forgot Van Dijk
    also Johanssen
    Gillow
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    What time is the mens TT on Weds, and the mens race on Sun?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    Thanks for the help on the women's race.
  • Does anybody know why the U23 TT Youtube stream isn't available in the UK?
  • Will the races be on Eurosport? the mens road race and TT? anyone know?
  • As far as I can work out the UCI stream is unavailable here because the BBC have the rights. Meanwhile the BBC in their infinite wisdom have chosen not to broadcast certain events.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    As far as I can work out the UCI stream is unavailable here because the BBC have the rights. Meanwhile the BBC in their infinite wisdom have chosen not to broadcast certain events.

Why am i not surprised! thanks.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    How come - in the midst of GB's emergence as a cycling superpower - we're not fielding any riders in either the Junior Women or U23 ITT's?
  • Extract from the UCI website......

United Kingdom Date BST Program
    BBC Red Button Sunday, September 22, 2013 13:30-16:40 Live - Women & Men Elite Team Time Trial
    BBC Red Button Tuesday, September 24, 2013 13:30-15:50 Live - Women Elite Individual Time Trial
    BBC Red Button Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:15-13:40 Live - Men Elite Individual Time Trial
    BBC 2 Wednesday, September 25, 2013 13:40-16:10 Live - Men Elite Individual Time Trial + highlight women & team time trial
    BBC 1 Saturday, September 28, 2013 15:30-16:30 Live - Women Elite Road Race
    BBC 2 Saturday, September 28, 2013 16:30-17:15 Live - Women Elite Road Race
    BBC Red Button Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:30-14:15 Live - Men Elite Road Race
    BBC 2 Sunday, September 29, 2013 14:15-16:15 Live - Men Elite Road Race

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... E&LangId=1
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2013
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    How come - in the midst of GB's emergence as a cycling superpower - we're not fielding any riders in either the Junior Women or U23 ITT's?

British National Track Champs start Fri. Assume thats taking priority for Joe Perrett (or maybe he's crook). Dont know about the Girls, but last year's winner Elinor Barker's now moved up and again her priority is the track.

Maybe Pross or Blazing Saddles are better informed...
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    Extract from the UCI website......

BBC Red Button Sunday, September 22, 2013 13:30-16:40 Live - Women & Men Elite Team Time Trial
    BBC Red Button Tuesday, September 24, 2013 13:30-15:50 Live - Women Elite Individual Time Trial
    BBC Red Button Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:15-13:40 Live - Men Elite Individual Time Trial
    BBC 2 Wednesday, September 25, 2013 13:40-16:10 Live - Men Elite Individual Time Trial + highlight women & team time trial
    BBC Red Button Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:30-14:15 Live - Men Elite Road Race

Great, thanks.
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    Extract from the UCI website......

Great, thanks.

+1 from me
  • It would be logical for the UCI to unlock their YouTube stream for the events not being shown by the BBC... but unlikely to happen probably.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    OCDuPalais wrote:

British National Track Champs start Fri. Assume thats taking priority for Joe Perrett (or maybe he's crook). Dont know about the Girls, but last year's winner Elinor Barker's now moved up and again her priority is the track.

Thanks RR; but it still doesn't explain why, when nations such as Albania and Eritrea are entering riders, we're not.
    The fact that perhaps the strongest U23s were in GB team for ToB, and (as you mentioned) top junior riders might be concentrating on National Track Champs, may be pertinent... But could it be that BC don't want enter anyone who's not going to be a top contender for a medal?
    Are there no young riders that would benefit from the exposure to the World's stage?*
    Just seems incongruous with all the guff about Britain's TT heritage that surrounded the ToB TT...

*sorry - starting to sound a bit "what about the women and children!?"
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Thanks RR; but it still doesn't explain why, when nations such as Albania and Eritrea are entering riders, we're not.
    The fact that perhaps the strongest U23s were in GB team for ToB, and (as you mentioned) top junior riders might be concentrating on National Track Champs, may be pertinent... But could it be that BC don't want enter anyone who's not going to be a top contender for a medal?
    Are there no young riders that would benefit from the exposure to the World's stage?*
    Just seems incongruous with all the guff about Britain's TT heritage that surrounded the ToB TT...

*sorry - starting to sound a bit "what about the women and children!?"

I thought perrot was doing the U23 tt?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,452
    Not a clue sorry, I think it's pretty disappointing that someone seems to rate the National Track Champs higher than the World Road Champs and also not sure why they clash, they don't normally do they? :?

I believe there is a new qualifying system for the track worlds that got dropped in quite late and messed up the riders schedules so whilst I doubt the nationals are part of that it might be something to do with the riders programmes for upcoming events.