Compression clothing...an idiots guide

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited September 2013 in The bottom bracket
Can someone please explain the phenomenononandon to me please. It just looks 'ouch' to me.

Also, F*ck me Rapha is expensive - who the heck can actually afford Rapha clothing ?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Can someone please explain the phenomenononandon to me please. It just looks 'ouch' to me.

Also, F*ck me Rapha is expensive - who the heck can actually afford Rapha clothing ?
    I can.

Compression sounds like b0ll0cks though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I wore compression shorts when playing football (no, they don't crush your nuts!). May be a coincidence but once I started using them I stopped suffering from minor muscle strains.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Supposed to reduce soreness and stiffness and increase recovery times... Not entirely convinced myself but have trained in compression shorts and tights for a few years now. Paula Radcliffe started using compression socks in marathons and we all to follow like lemmings... Best known company is skins .Had to sleep in self inflating support stockings while recently in hospital to avoid thrombosis... Not my most comfortable night
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Supposed to reduce soreness and stiffness and increase recovery times... Not entirely convinced myself but have trained in compression shorts and tights for a few years now. Paula Radcliffe started using compression socks in marathons and we all to follow like lemmings... Best known company is skins .Had to sleep in self inflating support stockings while recently in hospital to avoid thrombosis... Not my most comfortable night

You were in hospital? :roll:
  • Can't you just buy everything a couple of sizes smaller?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    @bm... I'll tell you about it someday :-)
  • Mikey23
    @ss good thinking but nope it has to be made of 'special' material and cost twice as much ...

Probably still assembled in an Asian sweat shop by five year olds though
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    @ss good thinking but nope it has to be made of 'special' material and cost twice as much ...

Probably still assembled in an Asian sweat shop by five year olds though

Yeah but the stitching is so neat and tiny. :D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Cling film does the same job (allegedly).
  • Mikey23
    Or pallet wrap...
  • How does it aid the cardio vascular system?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    How does it aid the cardio vascular system?

Perhaps:
    By compressing the surface veins, arteries and muscles, the circulating blood is forced through narrower circulatory channels. As a result, the arterial pressure is increased, which causes more blood to return to the heart and less blood to pool in the feet.

Same idea as compression stockings?

Taken from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_stockings

Then again I may be wrong.......... my wife tells me I am regularly.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I wore compression shorts when playing football (no, they don't crush your nuts!). May be a coincidence but once I started using them I stopped suffering from minor muscle strains.

If I wore compression shorts I wouldn't be suffering from minor muscle strains, it would be a major muscle that would be strained :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Navrig wrote:
    How does it aid the cardio vascular system?

Perhaps:
    By compressing the surface veins, arteries and muscles, the circulating blood is forced through narrower circulatory channels. As a result, the arterial pressure is increased, which causes more blood to return to the heart and less blood to pool in the feet.

Same idea as compression stockings?

Taken from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_stockings

Then again I may be wrong.......... my wife tells me I am regularly.

Sounds believable, when is the next Aldi sale?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600

What a load of bollx - you're trying to tell me that major parts of the body can be affected by some cheap elasticated lycra sufficiently to add a sizeable benefit to sporting performance? Tosh.
  • Mikey23
    My thoughts exactly...

I think there have been scientific studies that conclude it's all rowlocks too
  • Mikey23
    http://www.bases.org.uk/write/Documents ... _18_19.pdf

Here's one that sits on the fence
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Then again, imagine TDN in compression clothing things. Now you're talking ................
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    arran77 wrote:
    I wore compression shorts when playing football (no, they don't crush your nuts!). May be a coincidence but once I started using them I stopped suffering from minor muscle strains.

If I wore compression shorts I wouldn't be suffering from minor muscle strains, it would be a major muscle that would be strained :wink:

I think you're dreaming out of the centre of your strained Glutamus Maximus.

Eat more fibre. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    arran77 wrote:

I think you're dreaming out of the centre of your strained Glutamus Maximus.

Eat more fibre. :D

Ah, the wanderer returns, good of you to grace us with your company :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    If folks have a need to boast ...