Planet X N2A opinions?

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Great value or cheap china?

I am looking at a new frame to replace my PX Pro carbon, quite like the look of the N2A, anyone have any opinions on them?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Lots of big name frames are made in China so I doubt this is any different to them.
  • white91 wrote:
    Great value or cheap china?

I am looking at a new frame to replace my PX Pro carbon, quite like the look of the N2A, anyone have any opinions on them?

Really like mine. Had an SL Pro before.

The frame is stiff and handling sharp. The frame is reasonably aggressive (more drop than the SL) and the extra stiffness does mean it's not as comfy to ride on long distances at the SL (the geometry being the main reason, since it does a reasonable job soaking up the rough stuff).
    It's not that's it's uncomfortable; I would be more than happy to ride a 100 mile sportive on it, but if you are looking for an upright sportive frame the N2A probably isn't the right one.

So yes I can highly recommend it... I think PX do a reasonable job in summing up what I stated above:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news/pr ... -n2a-range
    Simon
  • white91
    Should tick all the boxes, I rarely ride over 100 miles in a day, and I do like an agressive geo.
  • The N2A frame was designed for Planet X.

I have also been looking at the N2A. I think they look great in Guru blue and thanks to PX offering a custom build, its the only bike I have managed to find that will let me have a SRAM Force/Rival mix for under £1700 and thats fully built with a CF ergo PX bars. However, they are supplying training wheels with that and I will just bolt my RS80s on instead of the supplied training wheels/
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426

^^ Obviously a happy owner and the N2A is a really nice looking frame.
    Ignore all the 'cheap carbon frames' comments Planet X have been in business for years and if their bikes were not good they would be long gone and the same goes for Ribble etc. :)
  • They have launched two new versions of the N2A in the last two months. I think they were maybe struggling to sell the built bike at £2495 when it was fitted out with SRAM Red.

In August they launched an Ultegra equipped version with 45mm carbon clinchers which was £1995. That has now disappeared and a £1799 Ultegra equipped version has been launched. No Ultegra brakes and low spec wheels, but still a good deal.

I have been looking at either an N2A with SRAM Rival or a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced and the N2A is currently in the lead as it just looks a bit more special compared to the Giant.
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • Its a good bike, very stiff.
    Not the lightest.

They stopped the Sram red build as they ran out of Sram red. That's why they change builds all the time, when they run out of groupsets they do a different build option.
    PX have just started getting Shimano from Madison so I'd expect some other builds in the future as well.
  • white91
    The search continues, turns out the bloke I was buying it from has sold it on ebay :evil: