Odd puncture

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited September 2013 in MTB general
Odd one today, was whizzing along at a stately pace and took a little hop over a little ledge. Nothing unusual but it was then followed by a loud hissing sound from a flat tyre. Bit peeved i stopped and found this

35470676-db97-451f-8807-ee98d9753b66_zps2ffcb4ee.jpg

The goo coming out is from the tubeless gumph inside. It completely refused to seal leaving me with a 10K walk back to the car.
Whats miffed me is the direction of the marks they are dead straight and not following the rotational direction.
Either way im guessing its dead. Just annoyed as its pretty new.

Comments

• you should still carry tubes even if you are set up tubeless

Tyres can still rip and sidewalls can fail or you can get a hole too big for the sealant

You can repair tyres but from the picture the sidewall looks perished in several places
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • It's not odd. Torn sidewalls are common enough. Carry a tube.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That woolly worm in the pic probably bit it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • step83
    cooldad wrote:
    That woolly worm in the pic probably bit it.

Dammed woolly tyre worms! :evil: laying eggs no doubt just out of camera shot
  • Looks to me that the sidewall of the tire got scratched badly on the edge of something as you did the hop. It could only be a drop because as you said it doesnt follow rotation.

A very sharp rock of some sort maybe? A 10 mile walk....i would have been cursing and blinding like mad!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you're not going to carry a tube, should at least have had some gaffer tape to wrap round it...... Sidewall is obviously aging and I guess it either just failed or you caught it on something...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    Its changed now, ive a put a spare tube in the backpack. I did have one id used it on the way to work earlier that week an forgot to change it.

Re the perishing im a bit peeved on that. Its less than a year old and is kept off the ground so its either the stans sealant or that wooly tyre worm thats the blame
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've had a few tyres do this, new and old. My Butcher has a cut just like that and I got it to seal tubeless with a little superglue. I think the Stan's would probably have sealed the cut I had though but the glue was on the desk in front of me so I just squirted a little on.