Winter Trainer / Commuter

Scoubidou
Scoubidou Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
So I need a new (to me) bike as above and the question is how much do I need to spend to get a road bike which ticks the following boxes: 1 has a triple chainset. 2 takes mudguards and a rack for commuting purposes and 3 has a groupset higher up the food chain than 2300 / Claris or whatever it is called. I'm assuming anything Campag will not be cheap. Bike is for the club run in the winter but needs to carry me and my work stuff including laptop every now and again. Anyone got any bright ideas, current options appear to be Ribble winter trainer, Cannondale synapse, Trek something or other. Not fussed about what the frame is made out of, comfort more important than speed. Anyone got any bright ideas? Thanks

Comments

• There are lots of bikes that fit your criteria and the ones you mention are well thought of so unless you want several million different options you might need to narrow the field.

Budget?
    New or used?

You could check the classifieds for used options and there is even a wanted board so you could specify your requirements and budget and see what you get offered.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Revolution bikes are usually good value. Their Country Tourer comes fully equipped and has disc brakes.
  • The cheapest Revolution with a higher groupset than 2300 costs £600 so good bike but not that cheap really.

Try searching for Mekk Pinarolo £439 or Felt 95 £453 for reasonably priced branded bikes. Steer clear of Viking bikes as they make some very agricultural bikes imo.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Ribble Winter trainer, as you say or Tifosi CK7. I'd go for the CK7 personally.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Merlin Cycles have their own branded winter trainer now. Good value. Maybe the Revolution cross bikes? Ribble winter trainer would be the benchmark.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks folks - I think I had posted this before I found the classifieds - there are a couple of maybes in the For Sale section. Ribble does keep coming up and I can choose a triple - I'll have a look at Merlin and I do have 3 good LBS's to have a look in too.
    Budget is tricky - I don't want to go too cheap but the more I spend the less there will be in the reserves for a new summer steed, but then if I don't keep riding over the winter my legs won't be worth a new summer steed! I have a lot of trouble with decisions...... a Ribble Winter trainer with Tiagra (they don't have Sora triple option) for £680 looks like the one to beat so far.
    Out of interest J why the tifosi over the ribble?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Scoubidou wrote:
    Thanks folks - I think I had posted this before I found the classifieds - there are a couple of maybes in the For Sale section. Ribble does keep coming up and I can choose a triple - I'll have a look at Merlin and I do have 3 good LBS's to have a look in too.
    Budget is tricky - I don't want to go too cheap but the more I spend the less there will be in the reserves for a new summer steed, but then if I don't keep riding over the winter my legs won't be worth a new summer steed! I have a lot of trouble with decisions...... a Ribble Winter trainer with Tiagra (they don't have Sora triple option) for £680 looks like the one to beat so far.
    Out of interest J why the tifosi over the ribble?

TBH no other reason other than I think its a great looking bike, it's always been the one I'd go for if I had the cash and the space. They are also highly recommended by people I know who do own one. I dare say that there's not much difference between that and the Ribble. If you cant decide then let fit/geometry and budget have the last word.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Kinesis racelight T2 or Tk3.

I have one of the original Tk's with a 105 triple, budget RS 501 wheels from Ribble, 25mm tyres and full SKS Chromoplastic guards. For 5 years it was my only bike and ridden all year round. Some years the summer was good enough for the mudguards to come off!

Now I have a CR1 as a fair weather bike and the Tk for when it's wet :D