Sticking sound in rear shock

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Title says it all

When I compress my rear shock with my weight there's a sticking sound although the shock is running fine
Almost like the sound if you removed cellotape

Thoughts?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the oil moving through the valves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ej2320
    It's over a year old and it's the first time it's made this noise though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or the first time you've noticed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What shock? It could be elastomers and then the oil analogy in totally redundant.
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    Or the first time you've noticed.

No it defiantly wasn't there before, It's very noticeable
  • ej2320
    What shock? It could be elastomers and then the oil analogy in totally redundant.

It's a RS Monarch 2012
  • cooldad
    Can't think of a shock with elastomers. Can you?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Proflex.
  • ej2320
    Only other thing I can think of is its perhaps a linkage pivot but it's not like any creak I'd expect on a bike
    Almost like a click but it sounds like cellotape.. I think it would be best to take it to my LBS as no one seems to really know what it is
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Proflex.
    I was assuming this millenium.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320 wrote:
    Only other thing I can think of is its perhaps a linkage pivot but it's not like any creak I'd expect on a bike
    Almost like a click but it sounds like cellotape.. I think it would be best to take it to my LBS as no one seems to really know what it is

No idea but if the monarch uses a air can (i expect it does). Whip it apart and check the air can seals are still moist and not as dry a nun.
  • cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Proflex.
    Assumption on the internet is the mother of all arseholes.
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Proflex.

In all fairness I didn't specify the shock or age at all till prompted to do so, I should have put it in the original description
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

No idea but if the monarch uses a air can (i expect it does). Whip it apart and check the air can seals are still moist and not as dry a nun.

It is an air can, pretty standard setup I think it's the monarch R to be exact so the cheaper version
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Proflex.
    If you'd read his myriad other threads you would have assumed the same.
    Seriously - Proflex. You're just being silly. Like my Awesome Girvin Flexstem squeaking.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

It is an air can, pretty standard setup I think it's the monarch R to be exact so the cheaper version

Depressurise it and whip the can off It and check the seals are not bone dry. How old is it??
  • cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Proflex.
    Seriously - Proflex. You're just being silly. Like my Awesome Girvin Flexstem squeaking.

I tend not to bother with viewing and replying to threads with witty none related unhelpful sarcastic comments unless tatty bollocks nicklous or Mario thedghog has replied with some twattish comment tbh.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Depressurise it and whip the can off It and check the seals are not bone dry. How old is it??

Just over a year and never serviced, although I keep it as clean as I can from the outside
    I think you're right, a quick seal check won't do any harm and if that fails I'll just drop it at the local shop
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Proflex.

I tend not to bother with viewing and replying to threads with witty none related unhelpful sarcastic comments unless tatty **** nicklous or Mario thedghog has replied with some foolish comment tbh.
    Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed again, but I assumed Proflex was a feeble attempt at wit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ej2320 wrote:
    It's over a year old and it's the first time it's made this noise though
    i am sorry but why was this info not in the first post?

it is rather important info.

could be that the oil is now old and is now creating a cavitation around the valves.

but 1 year old it is service time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ej2320
    Sorry, I didn't think that it was important

Yeah, the general message I'm getting is just that it needs a service