waterproof overshoes

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Any recommendations for waterproof overshoes for my specialized mtb sport spd shoes. As there is a tread on the shoes I need them to stretch over it.

Looking to pay either side of £30.

thanks

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Neoprene overshoes are best IME. With overshoes of any type/material you will eventually suffer from water ingress but it's a question of how much and how soon.

The vents on my sole are great for keeping my feet cool but are also great at allowing spray from the road to get in. Taping vents in the sole during Winter is also something to consider.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Unless you have long mudguards / the water spray will soak your shins and eventually run down into your feet so no overshoe is going to guarantee keeping your feet dry. As you are using MTB shoes suggest you try some on - the likes of Pro and Endura made a good range.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Planet x neoprene shoes. They're waterproof apart from the great big holes they all have where your feet go in.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Pro Tarmac npu+ for me, warm and relatively waterproof (depends on how heavy the rain is) :)
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • I wouldn't bother with waterproof myself. Your feet will get wet whatever you use. You should prioritise keeping warm instead. I wear some merino socks and, depending on temperature, one of: fabric (DHB coversock); lycra (assos); neoprene (castelli Diluvio) shoe covers.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    thanks all. The PX neoprene's are £9.99 so got a couple of pairs for rotation. Also just ordered some merino socks too.
  • BBB neporeane over shoes is what I use. They keep your feet quite warm too. These keep your feet dry for longer which in my book is a good thing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yess BBBs. I think mine are called Watershield. Very good, well priced and last ages.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    How about seam sealing the ones you have? Just did it with mine. lets see how they hold up in the next downpour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91208513@N02/9862570113/
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    goonz wrote:
    How about seam sealing the ones you have? Just did it with mine. lets see how they hold up in the next downpour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91208513@N02/9862570113/

Any overshoes which claims any level of waterproof ness/ resistance will be seam sealed already surely? I have been through several pairs over the last few years. I had some Pro H2O which had taped seams but found that within two to three rides the stretching required to get them on was pulling the tape away from the overshoe. Feet got wet and then cold, so useless.

I had Campagnolo overshoes which were too short (only just came above ankle bone) and my wife hung them on the washing line to dry using clothes pegs which damaged the material in the toes (it compressed it like a bite mark) which also lead to failure.

The best so far are BBB neoprene which I have used for two winters with success. They keep you dry for quite some time, and when the water does ingress they do a good job of keeping you warm anyway. They are a thick neoprene wih a PU coating, a strong zip and good Velcro lock.

Neoprene is not the hardest wearing material so it is quite easy to damage with abrasion. After an 'off' last winter I had a couple of holes torn in one overshoe. An online purchase of some wet suit repair glue for a few quid sorted this out really well. The repair is at least as strong as the original material as it melts the two sides of the rip/ hole together. They wash well in the machine and come out looking like new each time. I am more than happy with them and would buy again.

PP
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Planet x neoprene shoes.

+1. Mine are on their 4th year now. Toasty warm without being sweaty and very waterproof.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!