New here

Kiliscott
Kiliscott Posts: 82
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all, my names scott, been mtbing for a while now. I have a saracen kili 29er. Good fast bike for commuting, but I mainly do trials. Hamsterley, chopwell, 7staines etc. it only has 100mm travel and the big wheels are effecting me in the twisty sections, as my confidence grows I will be doing bigger jumps and drop off. I've been really eyeing up the orange crush, think I'm I'm love tbh. I dunno whether to keep my 29er and get my experience up or sell it and go for the crush :evil: I've just put some nobby nics on so hopefully they will give me a bit more confidence and not have me slipping around as much. Regards scott.

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Called Scott, Hammers & Chopwell

Not Scott Mears are you? ;)

Welcome pal
  • Welcome to the Forum.
    Sounds like bike envy. Once you really get into biking, you will want a new bike every couple of years.
    That is why half the people on here will have one bike that they use all the time, and a couple of older bikes rusting away in the garage 'just in case'. :wink:
    Personally, I wouldn't get the Crush. You can get better for your money.
    And if you are having trouble with big wheels, why not drop down to a traditional 26" wheel?
    For a few ideas about hard-hitting trail-specific bikes look at the Ragley Marley. Or how about building something based on a Cotic Soul frame?
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Crush isn't very good and is really overpriced.
    You can get a much better bike for the money.
    It's not even a good ride, it's really harsh and coming from a 29er you will really notice it.
    If you want a hardcore hardtail have a look at the On One 456 carbon.
  • Once you really get into biking, you will want a new bike every couple of days.

FTFY. :lol:

And welcome! :)
  • Thanks guys, the 456s look very tasty aswell.
  • Done hamsterley again today, fine doing the jumps but once things got tight and twisty I was really slow which made things not as enjoyable. I also bottomed out on section 13 and Star Wars. Though I snapped my wrist haha
  • The Crush isn't very good and is really overpriced.
    You can get a much better bike for the money.
    It's not even a good ride, it's really harsh and coming from a 29er you will really notice it.
    If you want a hardcore hardtail have a look at the On One 456 carbon.

I actually quite like the new Crush (especially the frame). As always, Orange could do better on the price>spec ratio, but I've had a sit on one an bloody loved it!

EDIT: and the 456C is probably the harshest riding bike on the market!
  • I asked someone today about how the crush was for climbing and then descending, he said it was brilliant at doing both, though that was the green 2010 model. Looked the bees still.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The trouible is the Crush is made in Taiwan, yet is priced way above bikes of a similar spec that are made alongside it.

One persons brilliant is anothers mediocre - it's not a top level bike so if the Crush is Brilliant how good is a Scott Scale for example, I'm willing to bet my Carrera outclimbs it (under the same rider).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I would stick with what you have now before diving in onto a new bike, itll either be brilliant or make you wish youd never spent the money. Not tried a crush so i cant comment but had a play on a friend 456C and have to agree its very harsh and flighty. I know im bound to say it but a prefer the way my Scandal behaves, plus its cheaper and about 0.2 Kg heavier.

29ers usually struggle a touch in twisty sections over a 26/27/27/5 etc etc mainly due to the larger wheel size an that the tyres options can be a bit limited though they are improving greatly.

Honestly i would say carry on as you are, you can chew hills an trails all day on that just practice the twistys youll be slow to start but remember a few basics like dont stare at the tyre or ground direcly in front of you an youll be linking things up quickly enough.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    The Rookie wrote:

One persons brilliant is anothers mediocre - it's not a top level bike so if the Crush is Brilliant how good is a Scott Scale for example, I'm willing to bet my Carrera outclimbs it (under the same rider).

but they're different types of bike imo.

the scale and your Carrera are 120mm travel are they not and more xc orientated?

the crush is more of a hooning bike with xc capabilities. I also like the crush and very nearly bought one on CTW a couple of months back
  • I had a little go a 2012 crush yesterday and it felt good,was the last one in stock and was the perfect size aswell, but I held off temptation to give my other option a little try first :D I need my current bike self before hand anyways as the other half, you know, they like to complain about a full shed she never actually goes in.