***Spoiler*** Tour of Britain Stage 7

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,546
edited September 2013 in Pro race
Quiet day as the wend their way through Surrey with a finish in Guildford. I'm assuming you southerners are all out watching it live.

This made me feel a little romantic

2013-09-21%2015.13.21.png

Earlier they had their back to the road getting pictures taken with the breakaway in the back ground.Congratulations whomever you are.

4 in the break but let's be honest it doesn't matter OPQS are on the front for Cavendish. 34km to go

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Stage 67? :-)

This is one southerner watching on the telly unfortunately but I will be there tomorrow
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    They're visiting all my favourite potholes. :D
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • alan_a
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Stage 67? :-)

This is one southerner watching on the telly unfortunately but I will be there tomorrow

Oooops - sorted
  • Paul 8v
    Dabber wrote:
    They're visiting all my favourite potholes. :D
    Shame they don't' resurface the roads for the arrival of the tour like they do abroad.

It must be awful riding a super stiff race bike over our cack roads, that's why I got a Domane, I thought a bike designed for Paris Roubaix and the like would be a bit more suitable!
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Has Britain turned on to cycle racing? Huge crowds, would put a Belgian classic to shame.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    OPQS doing their ultra long leadout thing again... think Cav got it, good turn by Petacchi as last man
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Just come back from the feed zone - lots of motorbikes doing the rolling road closures, peleton looked very small and passed by quickly. Lots of people dotted around the roadside and cyclists on the road.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Viviani given the squeeze by Cav...
  • Viviani's rear wheel oversteer on the slo-mo replay :shock:

Go Cav !
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Cav went abit early there, did well to hold on. Edged over just enough to make Viviani think but without risking a DQ.
  • alan_a
    Unlucky Viviani, brilliant sprint from him. Somehow he closed the gap to Cav and was ahead of him with 10m to go, but Cav found an extra bit of power to take it.

As said earlier, fantastic crowds.
  • mike6
    Cav with the old second kick. You could tell by his pain face in the slo mo he was not going to give that one up.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Viviani would have had that but he almost lost control with about 50m to go, bike bouncing around on the cobbles
  • Pross wrote:
    Cav went abit early there, did well to hold on. Edged over just enough to make Viviani think but without risking a DQ.

wonder how he would have reacted if he had been the 'victim'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross wrote:

wonder how he would have reacted if he had been the 'victim'
    I can't recall him complaining much about that sort of thing in the past.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'm not impressed by today's cheese. A collection of smaller packs actually makes it practical and usable - and where's the fun in the that
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Viviani's bike was all over the shop!
  • Was there some sort of protest group on the left hand side of one of the climbs or was it a promotional stunt - lots of sign wavers?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Protesting against drilling for oil on Leith Hill.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    edited September 2013
    Loved it today, we were out on Barhatch road, most of family in fancy dress. My 9yo made a big Go Wiggo banner, Wiggo gave her the thumbs up and Dave Brailsford waved at her, she's buzzing!
    We then walked to the pub and watched the rest in there. Brilliant.

Oh, my mrs inadvertantly got a good pic of Quintana and Martin chatting :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    AC2FC522-C291-442B-A8CC-2904B3866F3C-204-00000010E4CB493C_zpsab8d3c47.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    We were on Leith Hill about 50 yards below the KOM finish, I thought they would go by a bit slower than they did! I could only make out Wiggo near the front and then Dan Martin at the back. Malcolm Elliot was driving the Node4 car though and I imagine Roger Hammond was in a Madison car but I didnt see his face.

There was four of us and we were all wearing 'stop drilling on Leith Hill' t shirts as our friends parents live in Coldharbour and gave us them to wear. We weren't really protesting though, there was a group of them behind the KOM barrier.

Cav must have known what he was doing at the end to give Viviani enough room against the barriers. Thought Petacchi had distanced everyone by the start of the climb but Viviani closed the gap impressively, Cav equally as impressive to get the win right in the final metres.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Loved it today, we were out on Barhatch road, most of family in fancy dress. My 9yo made a big Go Wiggo banner, Wiggo gave her the thumbs up and Dave Brailsford waved at her, she's buzzing!
    We then walked to the pub and watched the rest in there. Brilliant.

Oh, my mrs inadvertantly got a good pic of Quintana and Martin chatting :)

If it was the banner with the peach/orangey writing, it was great !
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    edited September 2013
    Delayed double post
  • mike6
    NapoleonD wrote:
    AC2FC522-C291-442B-A8CC-2904B3866F3C-204-00000010E4CB493C_zpsab8d3c47.jpg

Nice photo. Looks like you had a good spot. :D:D:D
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    piv6.jpg

The break in the feed zone
  • I bet Viviani thinks that was a load of old cobbles.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Hmm, Cav making use of home advantage there.

Chapeau though for being able to go again.
  • napoleond
    Me looking like an utter tool holding my daughter's banner...

BD267E6C-B229-46F6-ABB8-7CDAB6472B8D-204-00000011041AA4E4_zps1f108609.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach