Cotic Soul build

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited October 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Went over to see Si at 18bikes today to buy a Cotic Soul frame.

P1030513.jpg

Only really building it to make use of the 26" parts I have left over from my Ibis Mojo as I am waiting for my Santa Cruz Bronson to land. I want something I can use through winter without worry so this is perfect.

The spec will be:

Cotic Soul Frame Medium,
Rock Shox Reba RL 120mm 15mm maxle forks with a taper steer,
Hope headset,
Hope seat clamp,
DT240s hubs with ZTR Flow EX rims,
Hans Damp 2.35 front tyre, Nobby Nic 2.25 rear tyre,
XT M781 rear mech (will get a shadow when its worn out),
XT M781 front Mech,
XT M780 I-Spec shifters,
XT M780 chainset,
XT M780 Brakes,
Sram XX cassette,
KMC X10SL Gold chain,
Formula Disks 180mm front 160mm rear,
Rock Shox Reverb 2013 dropper post,
Fizik Gobi Kium saddle,
Easton Haven Carbon bars,
A stem I have kicking around.

Finished picture:
P1030542.jpg

Comments

• mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    I'll be watching this with anticipation

Welcome to the "cotic family"
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Great colour.
  • Wheels are all done and fitted now. DT240S Hubs with Stans ZTR Flow EX rims:
    IMG_2649.jpg
    Off to New York in the morning but when I get home I will have the final bits ready to fit.
  • Landed home from New York to a huge mountain of parts. Its all now put together and ready for its maiden voyage tomorrow. It weighs in at 26lbs with a Reverb dropper, a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front and a triple chainset which is pretty decent I think.

Dont like all the cabling as it looks like spaghetti junction on the bars, its got the reverb hose and a pushlock lever along with the usual cables. If i could loose the pushlock easy enough I would but sadly I think it is not all that straight forward and it requires a new damper cartridge to get rid of it.

Will get some pictures up tomorrow.
  • So last night I turned this lot:
    P1030539.jpg
    P1030541.jpg
    Into this:
    P1030542.jpg
    P1030546.jpg
    P1030544.jpg
    P1030543.jpg
    P1030545.jpg
    Just about to go for the first ride, I will report back later on.
  • mrlee
    Yes. Very nice indeed
  • Well the first ride has gone well. I have not had a steel bike since my Ridgeback BITD and I have to say I am very impressed with it, I think it could actually be my favourite bike I have owned in recent times. The brakes are great as I thought they would be and the Rebas surpassed all expectations, they feel really nice, better than the 2012 Revelation World Cups I owned in the past.
  • Very nice build bike looks great with top spec components enjoy it! I just purchased my first steel ht and I am of the same opinion it is awesome rides great and not at all heavy.

Jamie
  • :shock:
    Great build.
  • Really nice bike and good spec, enjoy it :D
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Really at home now on this, its the bike I never had but always needed.

I got another ride in on it today and despite having owned some nice full suspension bikes in the past, heckler, blur lt's in carbon and alloy, HD140 etc this baby tops them all. Set some new PB's on rocky and rutted descents today, it just inspires confidence and rides lovely, I just cannot get enough of it.
  • mrlee
    I love mine. I always fob my Merida full susser of to my brother-in-law
  • @lexD wrote:
    How do you find the hans dampf/nobby nic combo is it draggy?

It's not too bad, the front is a bit big for the fork though but will do until I need to replace it.
  • I was ordering some bits from Merlin the other day so I decided to treat the Cotic XT clutch rear mech as the chain down one particularly rocky descent on my local ride kept getting thrown off the front chainring:
    P1030556.jpg
  • It's now rocking some Fox 32 Kashima 130mm 15mm thru axle Floats in white. They are the FIT RLC ones and my mate was selling them for the right price :)
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I was ordering some bits from Merlin the other day so I decided to treat the Cotic XT clutch rear mech as the chain down one particularly rocky descent on my local ride kept getting thrown off the front chainring:
    P1030556.jpg

Have you noticed the clutch making a difference?
    I just ordered an SLX clutch for my new build
  • ej2320 wrote:
    Have you noticed the clutch making a difference?
    I just ordered an SLX clutch for my new build

It made a huge difference. No audible chain slap and the chain is no longer getting thrown off the big ring on rocky descents. I would not be without one now they really are that good.
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    So nice, one day i WILL have a cotic soul lol.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    James Q wrote:
    So nice, one day i WILL have a cotic soul lol.

That's the spirit. Or should I say soul :wink:
  • Ready to ride tonight :D
    P1030585.jpg
    P1030586.jpg
  • sbd16v
    sbd16v Posts: 93
    forks look good ;)
  • sbd16v wrote:
    forks look good ;)

Yep met some top bloke to collect them :D
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    I noticed you have switched to NN front and back didn't you like the hans Dampf?
  • @lexD wrote:
    I noticed you have switched to NN front and back didn't you like the hans Dampf?

The HD was a 2.35 but it blew up like a 2.5. It just looked out of place on the Soul and clearance was tight. When my mate offered me a pair of Nobbys for my pair of Hans I decided to go with it. Sadly on the first ride it ended in a double puncture lol. Oh well the Nobbys feel nice and ride nice.
  • Had my first ride out on the Cotic this year and it was all feeling sweet. Was really settling into it after mostly using the Bronson recently. I tend to ride this the same as the Bronson and it keeps biting me on the arse. The last time I rode it I got a double puncture, today I flatted the rear. I'd left the camelback at home as I figured I was not going a million miles away so I'd push it back if I flatted. Puncturing at the furthest point from home was not in the plan though! It was a long and lonely walk home. Still I cannot wait to get home and get some decent miles in on it. I must remember more haste less speed down fast rocky descents.
  • If you are getting too many punctures on those NN's get the Schwalbe equivalent of Black Chilli, I think its like Snakeskin or something, ran those for ages on my HT and had no flats what so ever. Expensive though.
  • I've got DD Nobby Snakeskin's on it!