World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    andyp wrote:
    Yeah and he is brimming with confidence. Even if he doesnt win I am sure he will let some firecrackers off for the fans.

Anyone know why he was racing in the Belgium kit and pointing to `Trek`?
    CORVOS_00021941-015-copy.jpg
    Last 2km, worth a watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mEtgNG-tOs

Team Radioshack are short of money so are only riding WT races for the rest of the season to save costs. Bakelandts wanted to race yesterday as part of his worlds preparation so the Belgian Fed added him to the national team, which was mainly U23 riders, so he could race.
    That was a great final few K's, especially when they banged in to each other. I liked the run in to the finish up that winding road
  • Paul 8v
    Could do although I doubt Gilbert will be riding for anyone - he more or less said so himself after his Vuelta win.
    I can't see him retaining it, he has definitely suffered from 'the curse' this year. If Sagan can keep with any breakaways he will be pretty unstoppable. That said, is anyone going to let a breakaway with Sagan in it go too far up the road?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Can't rule Cancellara out of the RR, he is bang in form
  • I like the Polish squad:
    RR
    Michal Kwiatkowski (Omega Pharma-Quick-Step), Przemyslaw Niemiec (Lampre-Merida), Rafal Majka (Saxo-Tinkoff), Michal Golas (Omega Pharma-Quick-Step), Sylwester Szmyd (Movistar), Maciej Paterski and Maciej Bodnar (Cannondale), Tomasz Marczynski (Vacansoleil - DCM Pro Cycling Team) and Bartosz Huzarski (Team NetApp-Endura).
    TT
    Kwiatkowski and Bodnar
    Contador is the Greatest
  • View rider lists based on either nationality or trade team groupings:
    http://ewoud.home.xs4all.nl/cycling/wc2013/#BELBMCOGE

Useful for assessing possible tactical alliances as the race unfolds.
  • “After a while, I said to myself that there was something about this jersey, as though it blocked me in my quest for more success”, Gilbert told L’Equipe.

“It’s not a cursed jersey, but the problem is that it doesn’t pass unnoticed in a peloton where everybody is looking at it. In the finale of a race, nine times out of ten, there’ll be someone on your wheel when you attack.

“It’s like a point of pride to go after the world champion. It’s not about the person – it’s not Philippe Gilbert they’re watching, but the world champion. This jersey is a symbol unto itself.”

Gilbert had a similarly lean season in 2012 before taking two wins at the Vuelta a Espana and then winning the world championship road race a few weeks later.

“I love this jersey and I want to keep it”, Gilbert said. “Since the start of July, [defending the jersey] has been my sole objective, and I knew that I would build for it through the Eneco Tour and the Vuelta.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Has anyone ever won the time trial and road race jersey in the same year?
  • Paul 8v
    Also, does anyone know if this will be live on TV? I actually have Monday off but I seem to remember last year they weren't showing it live? I believe the ITT is on Monday
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Paul 8v wrote:

I don't think so. Cancellera came close.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Paul 8v wrote:
    No. The closest was Indurain and Olano in 1995 who came first and second in both - Olano winning the RR & Indurain the TT.

Jennie Longo has done it in the women's races and Evgeni Petrov in the u23s
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2013
    GB teams.

Men: Froome, Wiggins, Cavendish, Cummings, Edmondson, Stannard, Thomas and Tiernan Locke. (Eisel and Kiryienka not yet confirmed)
    Women: Lizzie Armitstead, Lucy Garner, Katie Colclough and Nikki Harris
  • TheBigBean
    Does anyone have a link to a profile of the course?
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2013
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Does anyone have a link to a profile of the course?

_________/\_________/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__

(Edited to include the early hill)
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Also, does anyone know if this will be live on TV? I actually have Monday off but I seem to remember last year they weren't showing it live? I believe the ITT is on Monday

Hi Paul. Sorry if this is bad news, but the timetable for the races is here and shows the men's ITT is on Wednesday.

http://www.toscana2013.it/programma/?lang=en

Edit - the profiles are here too but Rich is pretty accurate!
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    k5lRVII.jpg

zAxZXlF.jpg

*Edit haha Rich
  • TheBigBean
    Thanks for info above. Rich's does give a give idea, but for anyone wanting a close up of the circuit, I think this is it

Gara-in-linea-donne-junior.png
  • TheBigBean
    That 16% bit with 5 km to go will make it interesting. 5km is a long time to hold on if there is any team work going on, but as this is the worlds I'm going to discount that possibility.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Oo, that's more informative ^^ thanks

Italy and GB have a common goal :P

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ttini.html
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    That 16% bit with 5 km to go will make it interesting. 5km is a long time to hold on if there is any team work going on, but as this is the worlds I'm going to discount that possibility.

yeah nobody has ever controlled the worlds so it comes down to a sprint, i think it is hard to see past Sagan, he may not have a strong team but he can ride off the back of another team, I can see Cancellara going early and Sagan going with him, or him Going with Gilberts attack then out sprinting him.

Will be good to see how GB ride to set Froome up? Surprised to see JTL is in squad, surely there must be some better options?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited September 2013

Will be good to see how GB ride to set Froome up? Surprised to see JTL is in squad, surely there must be some better options?

They must have confidence in him. Maybe use him as a free agent to ride how he likes to without being heavily marked. Wild card really, which isn't daft because if Froome were to win it would be less team dependent than say Cav's was.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I think they were pleased with how he was going in Canada riding for Froome before he crashed out. I doubt there are many better options, would Fenn, Dowsett or Rowe offer much on a circuit like this? Maybe they'll try to save JTL in the first half so that he can help out on the lumpier bit. The likes of Stannard, Cav and Thomas can do the early work leaving Edmonson, Wiggo, JTL and Cummings for the hills. What's wrong with Kennaugh at the moment?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    GB teams.

Men: Froome, Wiggins, Cavendish, Cummings, Edmondson, Stannard, Thomas and Tiernan Locke. (Eisel and Kiryienka not yet confirmed)

Men’s Elite Time Trial:
    Alex Dowsett
    Bradley Wiggins

Women’s Elite Time Trial:
    Emma Pooley
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    GB teams.

Men’s Elite Time Trial:
    Alex Dowsett
    Bradley Wiggins

Emma Pooley

Pooley not riding to concentrate on finishing her PhD
  • Paul 8v
    RonB wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Hi Paul. Sorry if this is bad news, but the timetable for the races is here and shows the men's ITT is on Wednesday.

http://www.toscana2013.it/programma/?lang=en

Edit - the profiles are here too but Rich is pretty accurate!
    Ah I must have stuck my cycling weekly stickers on the calendar wrong! Not to worry as I hadn't taken the day off for that, was to rest after going to the smoke for the TOB and do some gardening. Exciting stuff!
  • Paul 8v
    Froome and Wiggins riding together? Que WAGs cat fight!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    RichN95 wrote:
    GB teams.

Men’s Elite Time Trial:
    Alex Dowsett
    Bradley Wiggins

Emma Pooley

Now I'm a Cav fan, but will he be that useful here?
    Like others, bit surprised about JTL given his season. Which possibles have been missed out?

Nice to see Lucy Garner make the cut too.
  • RichN95.
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Now I'm a Cav fan, but will he be that useful here?
    Like others, bit surprised about JTL given his season. Which possibles have been missed out?
    The others on the long list were Dowsett, Fenn and Rowe.