Steel is real!! Stanton Slackline 631

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited October 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Yep, another bike and this one isn't even carbon! :lol:

Having had the 456c for just over a year I found myself riding it less and less. The geometry was spot on, it was incredibly light, but it never shouted "ride me" like the Mojo or even my old Maxlight. Add to this the harsh ride whoch took it's toll on longer rides and I fancied a change.

When I first bought the 456c, I looked at the original slackline, but its non-taper headtube and non-reverb compatible seattube put me off. It was a real shame because I loved the look of it and quite fancied a steel frame. I recently saw the latest version, complete with 44mm headtube and 31.6mm seattube and within a week or two my order was placed and the 456 was in the classifieds!

Most of the parts came off the 456, but I've replaced the revelations with some 150mm Fox 32 Float RL's. They're pretty basic but I can always upgrade the damper along the line when funds allow.

DSCF4824.jpg

DSCF4826.jpg

DSCF4827.jpg

DSCF4832.jpg

DSCF4831.jpg

DSCF4828.jpg

DSCF4830.jpg

The attention to detail is unreal. It's not quite finished yet, still got to fit the star nut and cut the steerer, but I've had a quick sit on it and it feels awesome! Nice and long, low and with a 65 degree headangle, I can hardly say it's not slack enough!! :lol:

Cannot wait to ride this, once I've finished the CCC2CCCC ride and I'm back at uni I'll be sure to give a good thrashing and sort out a few finishing touches, there's no way the red crest decals are staying that's for sure!

Comments

• Lovely!!!
    What was the weight of the frame?
  • lawman
    Shockingly I didn't weigh it! :lol:

It's a claimed 2.5kg, not bad considering it can take a 160mm fork. From a quick lift I'd say its about on par with the Mojo, so around 26/27lbs, but it'll drop abit when I can be bothered to set the wheels up tubeless.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I really like that!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    NIIICE I really like the graphics and the neat little cutouts on the top tube gusset and the dropouts.

Just been on the website and seen the price of the frame that is a steal for that quality.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ahh so so nice
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Minimalist! I like it, a lot.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • lawman
    stubs wrote:
    NIIICE I really like the graphics and the neat little cutouts on the top tube gusset and the dropouts.

Just been on the website and seen the price of the frame that is a steal for that quality.

It's the little details I love about it, they're subtle and it shows the attention to detail that I think a lot of brands miss nowadays. Add in the fact it is so well priced, if it rides half as well as I hope it does then it's a winner. I genuinely haven't been this excited about a bike since I bought the Mojo, I cannot wait to get on the trail! :mrgreen:

Thinking a few little finishing touches, some green decals from slik graphics for the forks and rims will finish it off nicely :D
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Very cool
  • Like this alot, enjoy lawman
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Very, very nice!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • My mate has the 853 version, he loves it. I'd ride it if it wasn't a 14.5 inch frame. I was going to get one but got there too late.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    lawman wrote:

Thinking a few little finishing touches, some green decals from slik graphics for the forks and rims will finish it off nicely :D

As someone whos bikes usually end up looking like an explosion in a Dulux factory I think the bike couldnt look any better than it is now the black and white looks very classy
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Very impressed with that, you might have just answered what I should do with all my spare parts but don't tell the missus :D and I would be supporting a local company after all with my trade 8) ...
    Seriously cant wait to hear how it rides mate.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    65 degree HA !

Slack indeed

V nice. Perhaps my next bike.
  • Very nice.

Never been a fan of the 454C, just something about it. I think its maybe the funny downtube, it just looks odd.
  • lawman
    Very nice.

Never been a fan of the 454C, just something about it. I think its maybe the funny downtube, it just looks odd.

The 456C sure ain't pretty! I also found the ride stupidly hard over longer rides, it beats you up and yet it didn't really accelerate as you would think, quick as it was it never felt like I was gaining anything from the brutal stiffness.

Hopefully this will add a bit of compliance and the geometry feels spot on, super playful! And there's no doubt this a lot prettier too!
  • Really like it, seen a few around my local routes recently and they look pretty
  • I want one!
    I've got Soul.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very subtle.. I like it nice touches on the rear drop out..
  • lawman
    So by this time I was hoping to everything sorted and had a few good rides on this, the thing I want to do after the CCC2CC is ride more and keep my fitness up whilst at uni with the slackline. Alas I've run into a number of issues :cry:

First of all the dreaded brake squeel has returned, no idea why but everything I've tried won't fix it, so new pad time. No biggy but a little annoying.

The big problem I have is the seat tube is ovalised and no seat clamp I've tried can secure the post tightly, so it's pretty useless atm. :evil: Have e-mailed Stanton to see what they say but I'm so annoyed, cannot describe how excited I was to ride this, especially after the epicness of the CCC2CC but for now that's gonna happen til I get the frame sorted :cry:
    Gutted is not the word.
  • lawman
    Well the worst has been confirmed, the frame is indeed faulty and having to send it back :( Dan at Stanton has been brilliant though, so he's sending me a new frame this week an swapping the headsets over for me. Gutted its probably gonna be another week til I get to ride it, but hopefully it'll soon be sorted!! :D
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    That's annoying, good that they're sorting you nice and fast though.
    Looks like a sweet upgrade on the 456c, never been a big fan of those.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    Been super impressed with their service so far, the frame was delivered quickly, Dan has been super helpful and had no qualms with swapping the frame for another and changing the headsets from frame to frame for nowt. I really cannot wait to give this thing a proper thrashing, it looks amazing and it feels so nice the very brief ride I had on it.

I'm also well impressed by the ESI Chunky grips I've fitted too, super comfy and I can see a set going on the HD before long!
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    It's between this and a Cotic BFe frame to replace my Bokor frame. Blue though :D

What size is the frame mate and what's your height and leg measurement? Just to get an idea.
  • lawman
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    It's between this and a Cotic BFe frame to replace my Bokor frame. Blue though :D

What size is the frame mate and what's your height and leg measurement? Just to get an idea.

It's an 18" and I'm just over 6ft. It feels nice length wise and I've got the seatpost inserted quite far, I think anyone around 6ft 2" or below would be fine on the 18". As I haven't ridden it properly yet might be worth getting in contact with Stanton, Dan is really helpful and will be able to answer any questions you have, probably best to ask on their Facebook page and you'll get other owners input too :)
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    lawman wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

It's an 18" and I'm just over 6ft. It feels nice length wise and I've got the seatpost inserted quite far, I think anyone around 6ft 2" or below would be fine on the 18". As I haven't ridden it properly yet might be worth getting in contact with Stanton, Dan is really helpful and will be able to answer any questions you have, probably best to ask on their Facebook page and you'll get other owners input too :)

Cheers pal, I think I'm gonna go for one of these over the BFe. I love the blue frames. My Bokor is an 18 and feels fine so I reckon an 18 in this will be spot on too. Just waiting to save some cash to get a nicer fork first.
  • lawman
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

Cheers pal, I think I'm gonna go for one of these over the BFe. I love the blue frames. My Bokor is an 18 and feels fine so I reckon an 18 in this will be spot on too. Just waiting to save some cash to get a nicer fork first.

A friend has the older 853 model in blue and it looks very nice, and rides brilliantly. I really can't emphasise how good Dan Stanton has been in sorting my frame out, initial delivery was very quick, he responded to any questions quickly and my frames being sorted out in less than a week. Top notch service!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Who was it that you dealth with Lawman?
  • lawman
    Who was it that you dealth with Lawman?

Dan Stanton himself, bought it direct from him on the Stanton website. Nice to actually talk to the guy who runs it all, seems like a top bloke and was incredibly helpful.