***Spoiler*** Tour of Britain Stage 6

above_the_cows
above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
edited September 2013 in Pro race
We don't seem to have one of these yet.

Sidmouth to Haytor. 138km.

All the route info and profile here: http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage6/devon_route.php#.Ujw_0KxLeOk

Right I need to do some work, some others can add some cheese and cow info.

Bye for now...
Correlation is not causation.

Comments

• Live on ITV4 now. Lovely area, shame I didn't tune in earlier as I used to live on the route (Awliscombe - village near Honiton).

Break of six at 1'51". Sky will probably bring them back.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Madrazo in the break again, he really wants that spotty top!
  • Pross
    Much earlier finish today then, they should be done before 2.30pm.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    They just referred to him in the commentary as "man of the race". :)
  • Pross
    Looks like Sky are donating a few quid to the Bardiani end of race beer kitty (assuming that is them doing the work - hard to tell on my screen).

I love the fact that 6 Mile Hill is.......4.8km in length :lol:
  • Only 21 kms to go!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross wrote:
    Looks like Sky are donating a few quid to the Bardiani end of race beer kitty (assuming that is them doing the work - hard to tell on my screen).
    I imagine they fancy Pirazzi's chances today
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Can't believe they are calling this a mountain top finish, I know the area pretty well and it's lumpy but it's not exactly the Stelvio. Hilltop or uphill finish might be more realistic.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    Pross wrote:
    Much earlier finish today then, they should be done before 2.30pm.

FFS just switched on expecting 2pm show start and 4pm race finish. However only 13kms left.

Surely they should be aiming to have all the finishes at a similar time. Bloody amateurish not to do so.
  • alan_a
    WTF? this stage is only 80 miles long.

Yes I am in a grumpy mood. The wife will make me do housework now.
  • I know, there's no time to find a suitable cheese!
  • Pross
    Might be as they have a long transfer in Friday evening traffic to contend with?
  • Pross
    knedlicky wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    They just referred to him in the commentary as "man of the race". :)

He's certainly good at sandbagging.
  • Have to agree that the scheduling is bizarre, they do have a 3-4 hour transfer ahead of them.

Hugh Porter's commentary is inane, his excitement levels seem to have no connection to what's actually happening in the race. He just reached a peak of animation while talking about Bovey Tracey Primary School
  • Good lad Martin, putting a show on
  • Stannard off the back i think?
  • Pross
    gpreeves wrote:
    Have to agree that the scheduling is bizarre, they do have a 3-4 hour transfer ahead of them.

Hugh Porter's commentary is inane, his excitement levels seem to have no connection to what's actually happening in the race. He just reached a peak of animation while talking about Bovey Tracey Primary School

Operation Yew Tree will be calling!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    gpreeves wrote:
    Have to agree that the scheduling is bizarre, they do have a 3-4 hour transfer ahead of them.

Hugh Porter should only be allowed to commentate from 3km out where his natural style actually works and where he can say "and he's ignited the burners" without sounding like a total loon.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • He just reached a peak of animation while talking about Bovey Tracey Primary School

But they are really contributing to the atmosphere of the occasion!

Martin having a pop and failing. Maybe Quintana is going to sit in wheels and attack for the win rather than going earlier for a time gap. Must know there's no hope of doing anything GC-wise given it's an easy job for sky to just chug along the climbs (though that said they lost a couple of riders this time).
  • Quintana's off.
  • Now that a Sky domestique has just chased down one of my favourite riders I now know why everybody complains about them! :)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    He just reached a peak of animation while talking about Bovey Tracey Primary School

Martin having a pop and failing. Maybe Quintana is going to sit in wheels and attack for the win rather than going earlier for a time gap. Must know there's no hope of doing anything GC-wise given it's an easy job for sky to just chug along the climbs.
    Nothing to trouble a rider of Wiggos calibre today. Even if Sky were to somehow implode and start riding backwards he'd be able to handle it himself on this terrain.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • alan_a
    Brian Smith has been excellent this week. Chapeau.
  • Lopez dragging it back.

Edit - and goes pop.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Might not be a mountain top finish, but its sorting things out a bit....
  • Wiggo's fires up the turbo diesel!

He might be a fat lad these days, but that pedalling action is still sublime.
  • Tempo time!
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    edited September 2013
    He just reached a peak of animation while talking about Bovey Tracey Primary School

Martin having a pop and failing. Maybe Quintana is going to sit in wheels and attack for the win rather than going earlier for a time gap. Must know there's no hope of doing anything GC-wise given it's an easy job for sky to just chug along the climbs (though that said they lost a couple of riders this time).

They should have bussed them up to the top of Haytor in that case.

Nice to see SImon Yates sitting in this group. Impressive young rider.

Edit: Not just sitting in the group, great win!