My cold wet hands!!!!!!

TK9477
TK9477 Posts: 5
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Okay, summer was awesome - fingerless all the way...even the rain was warm!!

So now things are changin' I need new mitts but ideally only want one pair, mainly for the 10m e/w commute.

My issues.....
- go waterproof & thermal?
The more waterproof you go the less breathable the gloves becomes & rainy weather tends to be mild which means wet from the inside out

- go just waterproof
Would get cold on the frosty mornings

- go thermal
ONLY good on frosty mornings

What does everyone here use? I
I'm pondering wind/water resistant which wouldn't work in a deluge but would work in most - and use a liner for the crispy mornings hmmmmn

These are the gloves I'm eyeing up...any thoughts..

- Altura Progel Waterproof Gloves Winter Gloves
- Polaris Dry Grip Gloves
- Specialized Body Geometry Deflect Glove

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I had a wet commute in last week - the thought of failing to dry the gloves out at work wasn't appealing - so I put some surgical gloves on over my normal mitts - result was dry hands! Ok - you sweat a bit, but after 10 miles it was manageable and left me with marginally damp gloves rather than soaking ones.

I think the key was not to have the surgical glove next to your skin (it was - but only on my fingers) ...

I'm going to try it again for other rides in the wet (may have one this evening) and I've got some long fingered gloves to test with too...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    To be honest I am still using the summer mitts and its been fine, not cold enough at all.

They are thinner and will dry quicker too. MTFU! :)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm still in mits too.

Its a bit chilly but i leave at 6 am and have a big decent straight from my door. You soon warm up.

Hold onto the summer for as long as you can the winter will be long enough.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mitts and a hot cup of MTFU. I don't usually go full fingured until it's below about +6 or so.

Aldi gloves are damn good for the price, in Aldi this weekend for me (check your local store!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I find the full waterproof gloves just get too sweaty.
    I like the deFeet Dura gloves. When it gets cold ( <8 degrees) I use the wool ones. I've got some silk liners for when it's really cold.
    The wool ones are still warm even when wet
  • slowbike
    The Rookie wrote:
    Mitts and a hot cup of MTFU. I don't usually go full fingured until it's below about +6 or so.
    Yer ... just MTFU - really good advice for someone who has circulation issues! NOT ...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    CTC wrote:
    I find the full waterproof gloves just get too sweaty.
    I like the deFeet Dura gloves. When it gets cold ( <8 degrees) I use the wool ones. I've got some silk liners for when it's really cold.
    The wool ones are still warm even when wet

Funnily enough was looking at those just yesterday. Was concerned with their water resistancy...

Do like their clothing, got their socks and baselayer and cant fault them. Need some winter merino socks too...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • I bought some Specialized BG gloves a while back on sale, they're XXL or something and I wear them over the top of another pair of gloves when it's really cold, also means I can take the top layer off mid ride if my hands get too hot....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The Rookie
    Slowbike wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yer ... just MTFU - really good advice for someone who has circulation issues! NOT ...
    Well where does he say he has that FFS? Oh he doesn't you just assumed it - class!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slowbike
    The Rookie wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Well where does he say he has that FFS? Oh he doesn't you just assumed it - class!
    Where does it say he doesn't ... ?!

The OP wanted dry WARM hands ... MTFU is hardly helpful is it ... perhaps I shouldn't be surprised....
  • The Rookie
    Slowbike wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Where does it say he doesn't ... ?!

The OP wanted dry WARM hands ... MTFU is hardly helpful is it ... perhaps I shouldn't be surprised....
    He doesn't actually say that either, you could try reading his post, he hasn't actually said his hands are cold in mitts and I suspect if he trys gloves now he'll find his hands too hot.
  • Planet X Flanders softshell gloves have been excellent. When really cold, I add a thin pair of runnners gloves as an additional liner.
    They also do a couple of even more rugged gloves, the "deluge" ones for example.
  • Now now boys handbags.......who cares how warm my hands are? Maybe the missus :wink:

My hands are fine & I was just after a 'wonderglove' for when it gets cold - this doesn't seem to be the case so I'll use my plethora of mountaineering ones as & when.......I may need waterproof ones but that's it.

However, as for MTFU you don't know me & if you did ... you wouldn't say it :twisted: so calm down big fella and keep it in your pants - this is a very helpful thread & I thank you all for the excellent contributions.
  • slowbike
    TK9477 wrote:
    Now now boys handbags.......who cares how warm my hands are?
    Oh :( I was looking forward to the handbag fight ... I put a (warm) brick in it especially ... ;)
  • CJPJ
    CJPJ Posts: 7
    I have a touch of Reynauds and circulation can be a real problem for me - particularly on hands and feet. I ride a motorbike and it's even harder to keep them warm in the winter.

I bought a pair of Gill gloves many year ago, randomly as they we the only ones left, and they have been brilliant during the winter. They are technically sailing gloves but I find perfect for the bike. Whilst it won't keep your hands completely dry, the design combined with the neoprene material means they act almost like a wet suit and actually seal in a warm layer of moisture. They are also windproof so idea for cold, frosty mornings.

Like I say, works for me s maybe can help others. Product was similar to this -

http://www.gillmarine.com/gb/products/3 ... es-126/179
  • Cold hands ruin my day. My approach is to have a box full of gloves and pick according to conditions from fingerless to insulated gloves in mittens plus Various degrees of waterproofing. Specialized have good ranges of gloves and good size choices
  • I'm currently cycling with full finger wind stopper gloves on the way in and mitts on the way home once warmer.

I've got some Sealskinz for when it gets really cold but my hands end up sweating and then freezing. I had to resort to the Sealskinz with merino liners last winter.

Actually the Sealskinz need replacing this year. Opinions?
  • Spugnut
    Spugnut Posts: 128
    I've got some sealskinz, the stretchy ones that look knitted and they've been fine for years. Even if you do manage to get them properly soaked your hands still stay warm. Well mine do anyway. They do a high viz version as well.
    Happy trails.
  • These are the ones I have http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/kj991-winter-cycle-gloves-black.html. Looks like other people have had the same problem too.

They're great with merino liners though.