Vasectomy

2»

Comments

• i had it done last year, nothing like what i expected

have the op done then as soon as you get home keep frozen peas in a tea-towel wrapped around your swingers and do so for a couple of days (keep a good supply of peas in the freezer)

i was back in work two days later (had mine done on a sunday), dont try to rush things though, i kept off the bike for four weeks because they did swell which sometimes happens but it goes away by itself

never looked back now and i was mesh with things like this :D
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Just stick a sock on it and never get it done...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Bit of a thread resurection, but hadn't spotted this at the time, but thought my experience may influence the decision process, or indeed highlight some of the pitfalls.

I had my op in October 2012 (was actually discussed in Commuting Chat at the time as another forumer was in on the same day).

Mine was under local, did my research and the GP practice I was referred to did many operations.

Got there on the day, and it was a new GP 'learning' the operation - he subsequently took over the 'job as the previous doc retired.

I asked a few questions:-

How long off the bike ? - Leave it two weeks to be sure. That long....
    What about this Long Term Pain Symptoms ? - Never had anyone from this Practice get these issues (liar)
    What happens if I did get it ? - Talk to your Urologist ! I don't have one ?

OK, off with the pants, hop on table. Injection didn't hurt, and first plumb was de-activated without any major discomfort. Onto the laft one. Zap - "Oh Jesus christ" - anaesthetic hadn't taken. Injection "Can you wait till it takes" - "Don't need to" says Doc.. Zap again. ARGH ! More injections. Third ZAP - couldn't feel anything Phew.

This then followed some frantic shuffling round - "Oh I've caught a blood vessel", don't worry we'll tie it off. It happens in one in 5. OK I think, but not much I can do with my pipework dangling out.

Patched up and out within 30 minutes start to finish. Wasn't exactly happy with the mess at the end of the op, but hey ho.

Usual stuff when home, rested, iced etc. etc.

Developed two large haematomas over the weekend, and swollen plumbs so ended up at the GP first thing Monday as I was due in work. Checked over and given a sick note for a week. GREAT. Pain then increased very badly and ended up in A&E with a shed load of codeine.

The wound wasn't closing so back to the docs. Wasn't until they gave me horse antibiotics after three weeks did it close up. Ended up off work 3 weeks.

Wound closed after 4 weeks, and the heamatomas dissapeared after about 3 weeks (like having 4 balls).

After 4 weeks, decided to get the MTB out to ride to work, rather than use my Fixed road bike (meant I could freewheel and give the knackers a rest). Wound had now knitted, so I jumped on. Lets say it wasn't comfortable, but I'd had enough of the traffic stuck in the car. Wasn't until after 3 months did the discomfort reduce on the bike.

Anyway, a little relieved that after 3 months things were settling down. Or were they ?

Doctors referred me to Urology as I was still experiencing pain in both plumbs and where the GP had tied off a blood vessel.

Went out on a Sportive in March, and OMG was I in pain the next day. This is when I suspected things were not improving.

Next followed additional visits to Urology and I'm now awaiting surgery.

During this time, I've been able to commute 10 miles each way, some days are OK, others painful. I've only done 3 longer sessions on the bike, but ended up in considerable pain after. MTB'ing has been OK as you aren't in the saddle as much as on a road bike.

Cutting to the chase. 1 in 10 men will experience long term testicular pain following surgery. This is down to the Vas being cut and blocked, which then causes the epididimis (tubes connected to your plumbs which store sperm) to swell. This is because sperm isn't absorbed quickly enough. It's also pot luck if you get it or not.

90% of these operations go well, but if you are experiencing pain after a few months, then things aren't right at all.

The down side of this, it is an extremely difficult 'condition to treat' . You will also not be told about this before surgery, and this condition can either develop shortly after surgery or months/years later.

In my case I have epididimitus and pain from the site of the severed blood vessel. I've seen a couple of Consultant Urologists, and explaining I was a cyclist etc. have recommended that the 'top' bod does my operation. I now have to have my epididimis removed (it's part of your testicle) and they will also tidy up the scar tissue around the damaged blood vessel. They can only do one testicle at a time, as there is a considerable risk you may lose one.

So, 12 months later, I'm still in pain, and can't sit for long - either on a chair or the bloody bike.

I think a proportion of my pain has been down to the in-experienced GP, but who can tell. I also think that if you leave a sedentary lifestyle, these issues would have a much lesser effect. I don't think cycling helps at all in this situation, but I'd rather they chop them off than stop cycling.

Plus side is no worry about contraception, down side is this condition causes too much pain to get frisky too often.

That said, 90% go well and you should be up and running in a couple of weeks. If you fall into the 1 in 10 they don't tell you about (until you get it) then good luck as they really don't know what to do. My operation only has a 50% success rate, so fingers crossed I fall on the right side this time.

Just a warning, as you will need the support of your partner if it doesn't work out. You'll wonder why the hell you did this to yourself. Sorry for the long rant, but I think blokes need to be made aware of the risk of long term pain. Neither did my GP or the operation GP mention these risks, despite me asking direct questions.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    mak3m wrote:
    I was fine after a couple of days.

i opted for a hospital job, didnt fancy getting it done in the back room of the doctors. so the worst part of the whole process was having to shave yourself, then shuffle towards the operating theater in one of those awful gowns with your backside hanging out and a velcro window on the front ;)

Reason for this is that sometimes - when you are asleep they turn you over and give you one. So if you have a sore ar3e after the op then you have been a special treat for the surgical team.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Had mine done years ago. Local practice, with local anesthesia. On the day, doctor asked me if I did not mind for a student doctor to do one side (big mistake, if this happens to any future guy, just say no). The veteran doctor did his side no problem, the student one, m0therfuck3r, I could have killed him. First the injection was like someone has just kicked my in the cojones. Then he managed to cut a vessel, it took an extra 20 for the other doctor to fix it. A few days off work, stayed away from any very heavy lifting for a couple of weeks just to make sure. After that, great, no more worries, jumping off the train just before arrival!
    J
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )