Castelli Sanremo Thermosuit

Nobby Nic
Nobby Nic Posts: 119
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi I`m thinking of getting one of these for winter riding, looks a good bit of kit and good value with the PBK discount code.
Obviously not as flexible as separates but I figured I`d not often go out with shorts and a jacket anyway.
I just wondered how it fairs in wet weather, any other opinions ?

http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli- ... thermosuit

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have the Sorpasso tights and Transparente jersey which form the basis of the speedsuit - neither provides any resistance to water. Its still a great combo for faster paced, cold weather riding - but not really warm enough for deep winter. You'll get better weather resistance from Gabba long sleeve and Fluido tights - interesting the Fluido tights are discontinued and Castelli don't supply a tight with a weather-proof front this year. I'd quite happily wear the Gabba / Fluido combo in heavy rain whereas you'll get soaked in the SanRemo.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    edited September 2013
    im waiting on delivery of this outfit myself.

might wear it at the weekend if need be but im attempting to hold off on properly cold weather gear until october...

and as soon as i posted that it came through the door at the office...

will try it on tonight
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It does double as a Power Ranger outfit - so pretty versatile ?
  • Thanks for the replys, I think I`ll take a look at one. :D In case of a heavy shower I suppose a rain jacket in the back pocket might be the answer then.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I just got some Castelli Arrivo bibs which are the Sorpasso with Windstopper X-Fast panels on the front, which seems very similar to the stuff my Gabba is made of. Its obviously going to be wind blocking but I'm hoping it might help with a little wet stuff as wel, or at the very least do a good job of keeping you warm when wet. I've used the Sorpassos for 2 winters now and they are cracking although they havent quite been enough on the coldest windy days when the wind chill really gets you, so I'm hoping these will be toasty warm!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • cougie wrote:
    It does double as a Power Ranger outfit - so pretty versatile ?

:D:D:D
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Can't you make your own cheaper?

Pop to a market and buy a Car Sponge and a 'two-sizes-too-small' Onesie. Slice off a slice of the Car Sponge with a bread knife and sew it to the bollock and arse area of the Onesie, then liberally spray the whole thing with a can of Scotchguard. £25 tops.
  • spasypaddy
    my thoughts on the sanremo:

sanremo in a medium is perfect on the legs, felt fucking glorious but the top felt very tight, in fact was difficult to take on and off, almost felt like i had to dislocate my shoulder to get my arms out. not entirely sure its too small though as when i was in a bike position it felt phenomenal all over.

Does anyone who has one agree that it should fit like that?
  • bigpikle
    sounds like the fit of a good speedsuit - stand up and it wants to pull you over, but on the bike it is perfect. Surely thats the point?
  • spasypaddy
    like i say, i dont know.

it was the almost having to dislocate my shoulders to get it on bit that worries me :lol:

i want someone else to tell me thats how they bought it...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    personally I wouldn't - when it gets mucky it all has to go in the wash (and drying an adult size all in one is a pain in the backside) you can't swap the tights and wear the top more than once, other than thermal layers underneath there isn't much variation in layers like you could with separates... and the bright arm is on the wrong side for the left hand drive roads!
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I bought one two weeks ago.
    it's probably the best bit of kit i've ever had.
    I've come from an assos airjack and tights and although the top feels thinner the bottoms feel just as good at insulating and the pad is awesome.
    I've only ridden it once warming up around the track at weekend so can't comment.
    I'm looking to get the sotile due gillet to put over the top in winter anyway as I like the idea of having a fluro mid section.
    with regards fit I have the medium and it fits perfectly.
    I'm 5 9/10 and around 70kg,
    I do all my races in skinsuits and fit is always important to me, with this I have to bend slightly to get the jacket over my arms but once on it is the most comfortable, best fitting kit I've ever owned.

Get one, you won't regret it
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    like i say, i dont know.

it was the almost having to dislocate my shoulders to get it on bit that worries me :lol:

I've got a club skinsuit (giordana) for track and trust me, you're not alone.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:
    like i say, i dont know.

I've got a club skinsuit (giordana) for track and trust me, you're not alone.
    so what youre saying is its actually meant to be like that...

it makes me look horrendously fat as well :lol:
  • bigpikle
    spasypaddy wrote:
    so what youre saying is its actually meant to be like that...

it makes me look horrendously fat as well :lol:

they're meant to do that as well - revenge of the Italians ;)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nobby Nic wrote:
    Thanks for the replys, I think I`ll take a look at one. :D In case of a heavy shower I suppose a rain jacket in the back pocket might be the answer then.

I always take a rain jacket in the back pocket. If you have a mechanical you'll start to cool down very quickly so you always need an emergency layer there.