remove freehub body of hope pro evo 2

Privateirony
Privateirony Posts: 44
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys I need to replace the freehub body on my hope pro evo 2 due to gouging. I have taken the cassette off, but I am now left with the arduous task of removing the freehub, anyone know how to do this or are there any videos on this anywhere?

Comments

• Ha! Been trying that, obviously need more strength
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Put the cassette back on and then pull it...
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    As said put the cassette back on, give you more to grab onto. Mine just pulled straight off.

Here's a vid.

http://youtu.be/XbOEc0Jrz9A
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    the ends sometimes get a little stuck...try a little light lube on it....then pull it hard :shock:
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Twist and pull
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    you have to remove the little end caps first I believe
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk wrote:

Thanks dude, not just a case of twist and pull... seems like you can pull as hard as you like until the end cap is removed that freehub body wont shift
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My similar Trizoid won't just slide off, I use a wide flat blade screwdriver to slowly lever the freehub away from the rest of the hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ej2320
    camerauk wrote:

Thanks dude, not just a case of twist and pull... seems like you can pull as hard as you like until the end cap is removed that freehub body wont shift

Sorry, I assumed you'd removed the end spacer..

Also worth checking out the Hope YouTube channel, they have some very informative how to videos, one of which is a hub strip and rebuild
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    I linked the Hope vid above. :)
  • ej2320
    Siarm wrote:
    I linked the Hope vid above. :)
    so you did, that was the one I was on about anyway
  • Thanks people very helpful as usual. I switched out the alloy freehub for the steel version seeing as I'm using the slx cassette atm
  • ej2320
    Thanks people very helpful as usual. I switched out the alloy freehub for the steel version seeing as I'm using the slx cassette atm

Wait.. What? There's 2 different freehub types?..
  • ej2320 wrote:
    Wait.. What? There's 2 different freehub types?..

Correct. One is made of Aluminium and the other Steel.