Local Keswick knowledge

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited September 2013 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone know if the old railway track C2C sustrans route that runs parallel with the A66 out of Keswick is suitable for race bike tyres? Haven't got any choice really other than ride on busy A66 so will have to use it, but wondered if it was rough/sharp stones/cinder? cheers in advance for any knowledge
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Unless things have changed in the last couple of years (which I doubt), the lower (Keswick) end is finer material and just about rideable on race-bike tyres. You could probably get to a holiday village (comprising a few terraced cottages and a bunch of permanent caravans) just over a mile from Keswick centre okay.
    But the surface of the remaining 2 miles till you are about 1/2 mile short of Threlkeld then gets progressively coarser and looser, the stones pointier and sharper.

I tried to get through coming from the Threlkeld direction and punctured after less than 1/2 mile, and without a spare tube with me, had to walk the rest of the way to Keswick - which also didn't do my cleats much good on such a stoney surface.

One alternate is to ride from Keswick to the holiday village, then join the A66 using the access road from the A66 to the holiday village. However probably a far better choice to Threlkeld on a racing bike is a small road on the south side of the A66 between Keswick and about where the Sustrans route ends, going past Burns Farm Campsite. I don't know it but later discovered it on maps.
  • thanks appreciate that, will look on map for alternative route south - cheers
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Are you doing c2c?

We used Road bikes, and followed the c2c route without much problem, then we chose to stick on the A66 for longer, as the old A66 runs right beside it on the other side of a hedge (you can see it on google maps) and was perfect for cycling on - literally a closed road for miles.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • yup doing c2c tomorrow, will see if i can find that road on google, tho concensus seems to be go up towads castlerigg stone circle and rejoin A66 further east
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    yup doing c2c tomorrow, will see if i can find that road on google, tho concensus seems to be go up towads castlerigg stone circle and rejoin A66 further east
    Yeah that's right, nasty climb out of Keswick up to the stone circle!

Once you get onto the A66 (around Threlkeld) I would stay on until the turn off towards Greystoke.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • we had a delay at start as one rider forgot shoes so had to make a detour to cleator bridge, which was fortunate as when we got to Loweswater, team sky jag came past with Wiggo driving, he waved, a couple of miles up the road he was by side of car getting changed ready to recce route to Kendal for day 2 of ToB and took time to have his piccy taken with us. Delays meant we took a chance on railway track, quiet rough in places but saved a bit of time, nice change to the hills