Cannondale headset advice

Lee83ant
Lee83ant Posts: 4
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I have just purchased a Cannondale bike frame SL 5 off eBay as my old Carrera frame was is on its last legs and has always felt to small for me, I have now found myself lost in a world of Headsets and out of my depth when it comes to finding the correct fitting model.

The Cannondale website is kind of vague on replacements and most of the threads I find relate to earlier models which i believe are the same but contain dead links. My Forks are 1.1/8 Suntour Epicons but the frame is 1.5 I believe?

To top things off I am on a tight budget also.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks :)

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I wouldn't advise buying a cheap headset, yes it will work but from personal experience you'll be plagued by creaks and clicks.. The headset is the one thing I'm happy to pay premium on

If the headset is 1.5" then that's the size cups you'll need, although make sure it is threadles and not integrated or something else

Unless you have a headset press I would advise getting a shop to fit the headset cups

Then you can buy a crown race that lets you run a 1 1/8 fork on a 1.5 headset

(Someone please correct me if I've made a mistake)
  • I'll correct you. 20 quid on something cane creek will do just fine.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You have made numerous mistakes.
    If the measurements are correct you will need a reducer headset, and I doubt it will be a cheap one.
    First you need to be sure about the measurements, then work out what sort of headset, ie external, internal etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    PS the dale is not quite the 1.5 standard.

get some reducers for it to 1 1/8 then fit a standard headset.

but before you spend any money will the fork steerer be long enough?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown