Any CAD designers here

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
I am looking to get a product developed and am looking for a cad designer who can turn around a design quickly and who can work with visual effects in mind (17-30 year old market).
Spec is iges or step.
Living MY dream.

Comments

• What are you looking for?
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • VTech
    I am looking for a 3D design for an injection moulding company.
    It is for a diagnostic tool, measuring roughly 22mm x 45mm x 75mm.
    It needs to be bling for the target audience and open at one end to house electrical components.
    Similar in shape to a pit of 10 cigarettes.
    Living MY dream.
  • i just recently had some CAD designs done for 3D printing through David Wood at Make3D. I only paid £50 for my CAD design, but this was for 3d printing so didn't have some of dimensions necessary for injection moulding, but he said it wouldn't be much extra for those to be added in at a later date. If you want to shoot me a PM I can send his email over to you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,688
    Got years of CAD experience but not really 3D stuff unfortunately.
  • I've got years all 3d solidworks pro engineer but not much injection molding.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,394
    I've done some 3d stuff.

This is the company where I did my training and they also carry out 3d design work commercially. In Coventry and close to you:

Stem 3d
    Leicester Row
    Coventry
    CV1 4LH

Phone: 024 76220199
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds more like you need a grapic designer.

none of my CAD work looks bling.

iges and step are just tranfer files.

or are you saying that is the format you have the data now and you need someone to import it to there system and them make it look good?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • VTech
    No, thats what the injection moulding company specified as the format they need to make the tooling.
    Living MY dream.
  • nicklouse
    Yep a transfer file. So your cad person can use whatever program as long as they can provide you with a step or Iges file.

The fun part will be finding someone who owns legal software and the time to do it for you as licence holders can be funny about who owns items designed with the use of their licences.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I use CAD on a daily basis. Like Nick says, it isn't for showing off graphically, it's for getting technical information and precise dimensions across. 3D Studio MAX or something similar is what you want to use (or get someone who knows how to use it).
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I've just started CAD at college. Using Autocad.

As for showing of graphically, you can add textured surfaces, lighting and shadow and render a picture of it.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Use a 3D CAD programme to create a rendered model for presentation purposes or get a model printed.
    There are some considerations for material shrinkage, mould-flow and draft angles that will be down to material choice and process - best people to advise in such case will be toolmakers / injection-moulders that will likely require some tweaks to your original 3D design.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    If you had a money you could get a 3D printer and make it at home.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • nicklouse
    another week of designing plastic parts done. Works Beer and BBQ time.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    another week of designing plastic parts done. Works Beer and BBQ time.
    Which package do you use for this?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    nicklouse wrote:
    none of my CAD work looks bling.
    iges and step are just tranfer files.

Will your modded 'rack' look bling?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!