Dropper post lower?

RobK
RobK Posts: 19
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, just got my self one of those cheapo dropper posts off the bay and wondering how i could get it to sit a little lower as when its fully extended its just a little bit to high, the little black box rests on my seat post collar and apparently the black box needs to have a little bit of float in it so heres a pic
WP_000206.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    change or file the seat clamp.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    nicklouse wrote:
    change or file the seat clamp.

That seems to only solution to me
  • RobK
    Really don't want to be filing my bling bling hope clamp down so as mad as it sounds i'm thinking about cutting a little off the seat tube :shock:
    Only about 10 - 20mm :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That is certainly beyond mad compared to filing or replacing the hope clamp!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    RobK wrote:
    Really don't want to be filing my bling bling hope clamp down so as mad as it sounds i'm thinking about cutting a little off the seat tube :shock:
    i remember someone who did that to a reveb and trashed the whole seat post.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    I think he meant the seattube in the frame not the seatpost....... Yes I remember that - funny as heck!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nicklouse wrote:
    RobK wrote:
    i remember someone who did that to a reveb and trashed the whole seat post.
    Nick I actually think he seriously means the seat tube, not the seat post.
    Actually trash a frame for a Hope seatclamp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RobK
    I do mean the frame :shock:
    it does sit much higher than the top tube......
    WP_000207.jpg
  • nicklouse
    almost as good as cutting the seat post.

bin the clamp and get a suitable one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or you get get shoes with thicker soles.
    gbcshoe3.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RobK
    Can anyone recommend a thinner clamp?
  • nicklouse
    just about any.
  • The Rookie
  • He wants it to be as thick as the Hope one he has, but he needs it to be thin enough to slot under the remote control box. ;-)

Peronally, I'd just file down the back of the Hope, so it fits under the box.
  • RobK
    In the end i used my bench grinder to thin the clamp down and the area cannot be seen as its covered by the control box and jobs a good'un :)