Converting a hybrid

zingaiya
zingaiya Posts: 52
edited October 2013 in MTB beginners
Afternoon all...

I've entered the Tameside XL Triathlon, which has a 15km mountain bike course. They've explicitly banned cyclocross bikes, so I'll have to do it on my Carrera Subway hybrid.

What do I need to change so that I've got a chance of not dying?

I'm planning on doing a recce of the route in the near future, but I'd like to get the bike ready before then.

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just some nobblier tyres, or a suspension fork too if you think it warrants it. Lower gearing will help if very steep.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Subway uses the same frame as the Carrera MTB's, they are a bit heavy, but would probably survive a nuclear event.

I'd stick to quality (lightweight) knobbly tyres and lighter tubes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've had a chat with my LBS, and he's sorting me out with new forks and new tyres.
    Coincidentally doubling the value of the bike...
    His reasoning was that I could either pay the same amount of money as the forks (plus sale value of the old bike) for a new, substandard MTB that just isn't very good, or get the forks and have a reasonable MTB that I can convert back if needed.
  • The Rookie
    I'd not be adding weight, unless you mean lightweight rigid forks?

Cheap suspension forks will be worse than the rigids on there, what forks?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Suspension forks. Don't know what yet, but at £250 or so, I wouldn't count them as cheap. LBS bloke advised to not go any cheaper due to the rapid drop off in quality.
    As a fatty (15st), additional weight on the bike isn't really that much of a concern (the percentage increase in overall weight will be tiny).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd like to know what I'm spending £250 before I spend it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • On the grounds that I know nothing about mountain bikes, I'm at someone elses mercy regardless.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could ask them.

Or I'll sell you some forks for £249.99 and save you some money.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Triathlon completed....

the new forks were x-fusion enix, and a pair of fat tyres. Additional weight wasn't particularly an issue, as I spent most of the uphills pushing anyway.

Only fell off twice.

Once at speed onto some nice forgiving rocks, once while stationary, when I toppled into a deep ditch full of brambles.

I have to say, you mountain bikers must be mental to do this for fun. It's one of the most terrifying things I've done (and I go caving!).
  • The Rookie
    Zingaiya wrote:
    I have to say, you mountain bikers must be mental to do this for fun. It's one of the most terrifying things I've done.
    Terrifying IS fun though!