Qatar

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,688
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
I've recently been approached to see if I'd be interested in applying for a job in Qatar and know there are a few ex pats out there that use this board. Can you give me some information about the pros and cons of living there together with an idea of the monthly outgoings to live there with good quality accommodation? In reality the move is not hugely likely even if I get offered the job as my eldest is doing her 2nd year of GCSEs. However when I mentioned it to Mrs P, expecting the idea to be dismissed out of hand, she seemed quite keen (it's funny what the thought of a 50% salary increase and no tax can do!). If I did go for it then I suspect in the first year I would go on my own so it would be useful to know the cost of living as a singleton as well as with a family as I would still be paying a mortgage and bills back home in that scenario.

Comments

• No direct experience, but as I was born in Bahrain, and then worked in Kuwait and Saudi for a bit, I can tell you it will be HOT, DAMN hot!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I've not worked there but have had opportunities to go to the UAE and know enough people that have worked in Saudi, Qatar and Dubai.

There are those that love it and those that hate it.

The Saudi workers all lived on special compounds. Their whole life revolved around living there, both work and play. Freetime was always with workmates.

Qatar and the UAE seem to be 'better' places to live and work but for western women, it can still be a problem for them coping with their new 'lower' status in when out in public.

I was chatting to a woman whose husband worked for Shell out there. She said "It's tax free unti you want to take it out of the country". If you still have a mortgage or other financial commitments in the UK then check what the deal is with that.

It's hot and dusty.

I have no idea what they class as a 'race' out there! ;-)
  • Pross
    I think it involves camels but there's a debate on whether it's a race if the camel stops for a drink.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Think about quality of life and all that. Me - I wouldn't go for 10 times the salary and no tax. Unless a lack of money is a huge problem, why choose to move to a lifeless dump with a terrible climate and, I suspect, not much to do? It's obvious it's a crap hole from its Wiki page alone!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Spooky - here I am enjoying a bit of insomnia and come across this in the paper...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/before ... n=ExpatTDs

The comments below add some colour to the main piece. Btw The Telegraph is paywalled these days after you read 25 articles, fyi.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I have been having problems too.
    I just can't seem to get the nasal passages clear...
  • Pross
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I have been having problems too.
    I just can't seem to get the nasal passages clear...

Have ever made a post on this forum that isn't totally surreal / mental?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Interesting article... If you don't like it go home v stay here and make it better
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Worked there for a short while before Xmas last year.

You'll probably be based in Doha, the capital, which was where I was.

A few points (positive and negative):
    - The weather's hot most of the time - I was out in late November / early December and it was late 20s- early 30s most days - but in summer it's insanely hot - many ex-pats bail out and come home (often family move back for the summer, leaving the working person out there alone)
    - The locals are friendly and very relaxed about foreigners compared to some other countries in the area (Saudi, for example); the business and general language is English, even in shops, etc. - but a few words of Arabic can be useful/polite
    - there's a massive ex-pat British contingent there, whom I found to be exceptionally friendly
    - Costs-wise, most things are comparable to the UK, with some exceptions: notably accommodation (pricey but not excessive), alcohol (unsurprisingly costly), petrol (ludicrously cheap). Some foods here cost a fortune there (eg apples!) but other things are much cheaper (eg dates, olives, etc)
    - You'd need to account for the costs of schooling, etc. and weigh up the costs of foregone income back home eg if your other half worked here
    - Your work package should include an allowance for flights, etc but you need to include an allowance for this
    - It's only tax-free if you're living there permanently (ie all the time / 365 days)
    - The whole thing about it being a Muslim country, different culture, etc needs to be recognised - this isn't a disadvantage, just a difference that needs to be thought about
    - Terrain is very flat and there's not a lot of green, although there are some areas where at mahoosive cost they've put in grass!
    - Driving a bit mixed, tends to be quite aggressive and accidents are common, but cars are relatively cheap to buy and run - if you're living there a car is pretty essential
    - Cycling does happen - there are clubs, etc - but you'd probably need to take a bike out there. It's hot so many riders seem to get out there in the early morning, before the traffic picks up

Think that's all I can think of - there are plenty of websites with more info - hope this helps

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Pross
    Thanks. I've been doing a bit of research but I think you get far more help from hearing people's experiences both good and bad. I still quite like the idea of trying it although I'm thinking Oman may be a nicer place to live. My main concern is that there might not be much to do over there. I'm also learning that the salary that has been mentioned to me is probably a bit low as it is all inclusive so by time I've sent enough home to pay the mortgage and bills for family on top of living costs out there it probably isn't much better and then if the family move out my accommodation costs would go up and I'd have two lots of school fees to pay plus the wife would have no income (although she could probably find decent paid work herself). Not sure I like being reliant on a sponsor allowing me to leave the country either.

On the other hand the Gulf states seem to be about the only places where people are my line of work are valued so highly in comparison with other occupations and it would be nice to try something new.
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    Secret sam sums it up well.

I've been living in Qatar for 14 years and have always enjoyed it. I don't live in Doha so cant comment on life there, I live in a small community on the opposite coast from Doha. I have never struggled for things to do. As well as cycling on excellent roads (scenery can be a little monotonous) there is golf, sailing, football, in fact any sport you are involved in UK you can continue here. I have many friends in Doha and they all seem to have active social lives.

If you have a decent sponsor then the exit permit you need to leave the country is not an issue. It is hot just now but within a month the weather will cool enough for outside sports and I personally prefer Qatars climate to the UK, mind you this past summer in Scotland was glorious.
  • Pross
    Thanks Corona. I like the idea of giving it a go but the financial reward would have to outweigh the risk which the initial deal mentioned to me probably doesn't quite manage having found out more about education costs etc. on top of accommodation, car, loss of second income. What line of work are you in out there? I think the best option for me may be to try to find a larger company in this country that gives an opportunity to work there on a temporary basis to get an idea if it is for me or not but I think UK based overseas schemes are generally dealt with by London offices of the major consultants.

The more I've been thinking about it the more the idea of emigrating appeals to me, not just the traditional Aus / NZ / Canada options but also possibly India but I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to things like this.
  • corona
    Hi Pross. I'm a teacher so luckily don't have to pay any school fees. I do know that there is a real shortage of places in quality schools in Doha which drives the price up a bit. I guess you just have to do your sums and make your choice. you don't say what line of work you are in, but if it is oil and gas or any kind of civil engineering, construction, then there's plenty of work out here.
  • Pross
    Yep, I'm in Civil Engineering (Highways). I guess supply may be decreasing and salaries increasing due to the industry picking back up over here. I'm going to investigate it a bit more to get an idea of what a good rate would be for my experience / qualifications. The job I was initially approached about was for £64k all inclusive which at face value seemed huge but having looked at job sites it is actually probably at the low end as many others include accomadation, car and flights.
  • corona
    You definitely will have to factor in accommodation, as it can be expensive for something decent, single accomm. is obviously cheaper. I don't have any accurate figures to hand as I don't stay in Doha , and I am given a house. Cars are a bit cheaper than UK and petrol less than 6p a liter (sorry couldn't resist it). One paid flight back a year if you are on family status is the norm.

A useful website is Qatarliving which will have up to date prices. Many ,many new projects on the go just now and it will only get busier in the lead up to the world cup.
  • Pross
    Thanks. From what I can work out accommodation will be around 10,000 QAR for a fairly basic flat to 20,000 QAR for a family villa so around £1,750 to £3,500. With that a tax free salary of just over £5,000 per month doesn't look so good.
  • Pross,

I can't speak directly of Qatar having only transited through it once, but I lived as an expat in Hong Kong for 14 years, so have some experience of living and working overseas.

The most successful expat relocations nearly always come with those people that want to experience a complete change of location. They throw themselves in to the local life, have a go and learning the language, and try to integrate themselves into the local culture as much as possible. It helps if they are keen to relocate to the particular place the job is offered. The least successful ones are those where they just go for the money, and try to maintain their pre relocation lifestyle to the greatest extent possible. That is not to say that the money isn't important, and it is very wise to do your homework. In HK, the costs of good accomodation and childrens' education is extortionate, and it is very easy to see a good headline salary dissapear very quickly.

Although I'm now living just up the road from you in Monmouthshire, I have absolutely no regrets at all about my time overseas. It was a fantastic experience, and the memories are far more valuable than the benefits I personally had to my finances. I married a girl from HK while I was there, so I'm lucky enough to get back there regularly on family visits, and I'll probably move back there at some point in my life to see out my days as the winters are so much gentler than they are here. That said, Monmouthshire is a wonderful county, and the quality of life and the cycling here are great as I'm sure you would agree.

In respect of families, the dislocation is usually far greater for the spouse than for the person working. It would be wise to not underestimate how much strain it puts on a relationship for one partner to live in the UK whilst the other works abroad. It is also wise not to underestimate how hard it might be for your wife if she does relocate with you. While you are busy working, she will be sitting around away from family and friends, and that can be very tough. It takes quite some time to assimilate a new life. When I first moved out to HK I was told the first 5 years would be the worst, and there was a lot of truth in that. Particularly, life for an unemployed wife in the middle east can be challenging, as others have commented. A lot of expat relocations I knew of failed because the spouse was unhappy.

Kids education is always a critical issue. Overseas international schools can be very expensive, and there are often limited places in the best ones. Having the kids educated back home while you are living overseas can be a painful process for both kids and parents.

You also need to consider the length of time you expect to be overseas, and the implications on pensions and re-employment prospects should you return. Don't think the life is for everyone - a lot of people end up going back early because they hate the changed lifestyle. Other, like me, find they love it, and in my case a 2 year initial contract ended up in a 14 year stay.

You've mentioned you are not a risk taker a few times. My thoughts on that are that you only get one life. The bigger risk can be in not taking the opportunites in life that come your way, as it can be even worse to think what if than it can be to face the realities of the move not working out.

So, overall, it might well be the best thing you ever did. But, equally, it might be one of the worst. It is certainly a decision not to be taken, or dismissed, lightly. And you really shouldn't focus too much on the financial rewards, except to make sure you won't get any expensive shocks. It is much more of a life experience thing.

I'm just up in Usk if you ever fancy a beer and a chat. I've had a few colleagues spend time in the middle east. Some hated it and some loved it. And some loved some locations there and hated others.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Paul
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    Hmmm, Interesting thread for someone with an interview at Saudi Aramco next week....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Hmmm, Interesting thread for someone with an interview at Saudi Aramco next week....

Really? I visited them in Saudi when I was working in oil, and found it all a bit sinister and hierarchical. Wasn't for me. But hey, if they're paying a good enough salary.....!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    Pffft, I dunno. I confess that part of it is that I ve not had an interview for 2 years and (hopefully) have a few coming up, plus a cheap trip to London, plus I'm not to full of myself to see what they have to say for themselves...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Pross wrote:
    Yep, I'm in Civil Engineering (Highways). I guess supply may be decreasing and salaries increasing due to the industry picking back up over here. I'm going to investigate it a bit more to get an idea of what a good rate would be for my experience / qualifications. The job I was initially approached about was for £64k all inclusive which at face value seemed huge but having looked at job sites it is actually probably at the low end as many others include accomadation, car and flights.

I don't know how that compares to your potential UK salary, but personally I'd tell them to shove it.

I'd be looking for at least a 50% hike on your UK salary, with (say) 2-3 flights per year thrown in, a month in a hotel (etc) when you first arrive to help you settle in and get accommodation, etc etc etc.

Absolute mountains of work over there, they are building like there's no tomorrow and the road infrastructure will need to follow. The pick up in activity back here should, in fact, drive up wages as fewer people will be considering working abroad if they have full time employment back home.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Since you are in two minds the only way you should try this is to go out on single status, which would see you back every three or four months (typical cycle is 12wks on, 2wks off). Do not go lock, stock and barrel with the wife and family. It does not make it any easier whilst you are there; it will strain the relationship; there are still two sets of outgoings. However, it is a damn sight easier to get out of if you don't like it or you get more pressure from the family to leave than to stay; your partner doesn't have to give up her job; the kids stay settled with school and friends; you get to scout out the good places and the ones to avoid, things to do, meet people etc.

OK, it was '97 when I was there and Doha has changed a lot. Not quite as much as Dubai yet, but still some big changes. Coming from Dubai as I did, it was always seen as a poor, uninteresting neighbour - a lot less to do, only two bars, blah blah. However, the locals were really friendly, the expats very accommodating and the 'night life' was a more neighbourly BBQ-and-drinks scene. Never a week without a party. Get your booze licence and its pretty cheap from the lock-up 'offie' and you have to be going some to use all your allowance.

I've only ever worked out there (M-E) where the deal included flights, cars and accommodation, so never had to factor those costs in. Food probably averages out similar to here (a lot of stuff needs to be imported of course), fuel is cheaper, cars are cheaper but you need to allow for the rigmarole of driving licences, taxation and car licence (used to be renewed together with some rudimentary test, IIRC), technology goods are cheaper. Working week is typically 50-60hrs, so you will also put in a lot to get your higher salary - check out the specific Ts&Cs of the contract.

Sorting utility bills always appears to be a nightmare. You need(ed) an exit visa as well as an entrance visa.
  • Pross
    Thanks all, it's that exit visa that worries me the most. I've heard it referred to as the world's biggest prison as you can't leave without your sponsor allowing it.

On balance I've decided to give it a miss. The only real reason for chancing it would be financial and from looking into everything I would be lucky to come out level despite the salary seeming so good at first glance. As pointed out above the sector is really picking up over here again which is likely to lead to the Middle East having to seriously up their offers to appeal as a lot of people have gone out in the last few years due to no alternative. I'm hoping to find a UK based company with work out there as that might give me the chance to sample it for a month or so at some point. Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Oman all look better options too and India is quite appealing. Ironically it looks like I may be about to win a bit of work in the Middle East in my current job, the first we've had but unfortunately it's in Iraq! Luckily I won't need to visit but it might be the first of several jobs out there so who knows....
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Work at Atkins is picking up on the Highways and Transportation side.
  • corona
    If you think wages are going to rise soon then you probably are best holding off just now. A higher salary than a UK teachers is a major factor keeping me here.

Don't let the exit permit situation put you off. I honestly don't give it a thought, book flight tickets, apply for exit permit, it just becomes part of the routine. I work for a big company who can get me a permit 24 hours a day, that may not be the case with a smaller company.

Oman is a lovely country, it has mountains, the cycling looks a bit more challenging than here in Qatar. I would consider a move to Oman, but not Dubai, it's great to visit for a weekend, in fact I drove to Dubai from Qatar last year. It's a bit too big a city for me.

Good luck anyway Pross,