Specialized fsr xc - tango'd

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I really wanted a full sus instead of a hard tail and seeing as the company I work for has stopped their c2w scheme I decided to build a bike on a budget.

Originally I was only looking at hardtails as full sus frames were going to cost too much. So with a budget of around £500 to stick to I set about searching for a frame or donor bike.

A quick search of these forums threw up this spesh fsr xc frame at a good price. So it was bought.

20130830_211433.jpg

Rock shox psylo SL with adjustable 80-125mm travel was purchased, an old fork I know (2004 iirc) but for the peanuts price I paid I'm not too fussed.

20130831_093228.jpg
20130831_093350.jpg

Also purchased a couple of other bits which are as follows:-

Brand new x-fusion 190x50mm rear shock. I wanted a fox but got this at half the price of a 2nd hand fox shock.

Ritchey OCR rear wheel which needs some slight attention but again bargain price.

Current spend is £190 & I will post some more photos when new parts arrive.

Update 27/10/13 - New spec below & photos on page 3

Frame: 2009 Specialized far xc

Fork: Rockshox Reba RL (120mm)

Wheels: Superstar tech 3 evo (XC-430 - Switch evo hubs)

Tyres: Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo

Chainset: FSA with hollowtech bb.
Shifter: Shimano deore
Rear mech: Shimano SLX
Cassette: Shimano alvio 9 speed 11-36T.
Pedals: DMR V8

Brakes: Avid elixir 3 - 180 front & 160 rear.

Handlebars: Superstar Decent (780mm wide although may chop a bit off them)
Stem: Superstar Zenith AM
Grips: Superstar
Seatpost: More alloy
Saddle: Selle Italia Obix

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Saw that for sale, looked awesome and they did a great job coating it blue. The blue with yellow decals look really nice
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Nice frame, I think I remember the original thread when the guy had it powdercoated and the yellow decals made up.

I have a couple of bars for sale if you need one?

Easton Monkey Bar 31.8mm, 660mm wide, 20mm rise £18 posted
    Truvativ riser 31.8mm, 650mm wide, 25mm rise £15 posted

Also got a budget wheelset (blue decals to match the frame) with discs if you were interested
  • Will the rear shock fit? I have same frame and from what I read the Fox triad is a custom spesh fit and easily be replaced?
  • The frames were originally fitted with the x fusion shock as STD. Fitting sizes were 190x50mm.
  • Update 02/09/2013

A couple more purchases:-
    Alex ZX24 with Shimano M475 wheelset from Twellysmat on here. Basic wheelset but will get me shifting for now.
    FSA double crankset (hollowtech bb)

Also picking up an Azonic stem and bars from a friend of mine who has split his old GT Idrive.

Currently bidding on a pair of new Clarks S2 brakes.

Rear shock has still not arrived.

I will update with photos when the new bits turn up.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Looking good (i would say that)

that shock will fit fine
  • Thanks Dan.

All the parts are on their way now. Can't wait for everything to turn up to get it built.
  • A few bits turned up and I got to mock it up. Need some new shock bushes though

20130905_191732.jpg
  • Bit of an update.

Rear shock bushes arrived yesterday but were the incorrect size. The packet says 15.8mm width but they measure 25mm.

Tyres still haven't arrived despite being on parcel force 48hr and it being 4 days now. I got the cranks and rear mech on all cables routed just need a new inner for the front mech before I can get that sorted.

20130908_082747.jpg

Seat post, new bushes and disc adapter should be here by Tuesday hopefully.
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Coming on great that should be a nice ride when completed 8)
    . Why don't you give the crank arms a coat of paint while you are waiting for the other bits to arrive or polish them up?
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Looking good!
  • Thanks guys. Tyres and is to post adapter turned up today so another step closer.

Just seat post and shock bushes now which should be tomorrow hopefully.

I do however have an issue with the rear derailure sitting against the frame and not shifting into the bottom cog, but I think this is down to chain length possibly.
  • id check your b tension screw if the mech is hitting the frame
  • The b tension screw is all the way in but my thoughts is maybe I need a longer screw.

20130910_192513.jpg

20130909_172918.jpg
  • to sort out the rear derailleur you might be able to rotate it back on the top part (B-link) and adjust the tension screw, I think :D. Have a play with the adjustments and see if it helps!
  • Beautiful bike and great job in matching colors !!!
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • She's pretty much finished. Just waiting for a bush removal tool so I can fit my new TF tuned bushes then she's done.

Frame: 2009 Specialized far xc

Fork: Rockshox Psylo SL

Wheels: Alex zx24 with shimano m475 hubs

Tyres: Michelin mud

Chainset: FSA with hollowtech bb.
    Shifter: Shimano deore
    Rear mech: Shimano SLX
    Cassette: Shimano alvio 9 speed 11-36T.
    Pedals: DMR V8

Brakes: Avid elixir 3 - 180 front & 160 rear.

Handlebars: Koshi
    Stem: Azonic shorty.
    Grips: Boardman lock on
    Seatpost: More alloy
    Saddle: Selle Italia x1

IMG_20130912_191901.jpg

IMG_20130912_191757.jpg

I'm really happy with it. I will probably swap the stem out soon though.
  • Looks Great
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    looking good

you sticking with the yellow decals ?

You know you can remove bushings by hand ?

Just get a blade in between the shock housing and the bushing to lever enough space to get a small screwdriver in, then lever off
  • DCR00 wrote:
    looking good

you sticking with the yellow decals ?

You know you can remove bushings by hand ?

Just get a blade in between the shock housing and the bushing to lever enough space to get a small screwdriver in, then lever off

If the tool doesn't turn up today, i'll give that a go. Don't know why i didn't think of that in the first place to be honest.

Yeh i think the yellow decals will stay for now as i really like them. Hopefully get out on it this weekend down the local trails.
  • More bushing problems. It now appears that the X fusion shock i have purchased may have 1/2" DU bushing not 12mm as per most specialized/x fusion shocks........so no riding this weekend :(

I'm just waiting for TF Tuned shox to get back to me and confirm my suspicion.
  • Finally have the correct bushes. Its the first x fusion shock that TF tuned shox have come across with 12.7mm bushes.

They have been fantastic with their customer service and sent me the correct ones out with no additional postage charge.

Hopefully get out this weekend before heading to Sherwood pines in a couple of weeks.
  • Took it out for a blast on Thursday night....first Tims outing on a pitch black single track was a bit of a laugh. It has highlighted a couple of niggles though.

Biggest is that the pyslo fork has far too soft a spring in it for my lardy arse. It also appears that springs are no longer available for them either, so new forks will be on the cards soon.

Bars also have too much rise so will be looking out for some low rise bars to replace the current koshi bars.
  • cubedean
    Browsing through on-one' website i came across these wheels at a cracking price, the wife told me to treat myself so i did.

Ryde Adrenalin CR1 - Carbon/Aluminium mix
    Superstar 180/160 rotors
    Orange rotor bolts

I also swapped the Selle italia X1 out for an old Shadow conspiracy seat i had laying around until my new charge spoon comes.

20131005_004808_zps48a3628b.jpg
    20131005_004825_zps258a8a47.jpg
    20131005_004910_zps80206929.jpg
    20131005_004929_zps93171efb.jpg
    20131005_204847_zps4afe345a.jpg
  • cubedean
    Update.

New bars, grips and stem from superstar & Rock shox Reba RL.

Got a new seat and kmc chain to go on after I had to shorten it on a ride after it snapped.

IMG_20131014_173211_zps7d4f057e.jpg
  • How much has all that cost now then?

Looks absolutely cracking. :)

I'm thinking about building a full-sus next year but don't want to spend a fortune either. I already have some handbuilt wheels but other than that I'd need everything.
  • cubedean
    Thanks dude. The original build came in at approx £460. But with updates its closers to £900 now.

I'm looking at swapping the wheels out for some orange superstar ones (which I wish I bought in the first place).
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Looks good, love those wheels 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cubedean
    arran77 wrote:

Thanks. May be for sale soon if I decide to go with the orange superstar ones.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    cubedean wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Thanks. May be for sale soon if I decide to go with the orange superstar ones.

I might be interested if you go that route :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn