Decent cycle computer for around £50 and under?

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

I haven't had a cycle computer since I was about 13 and since getting a road bike I quite fancy getting one again.

Not looking to spend loads but wondered what you guys would recommend for around the £50 and under mark?

I use Endomondo on my phone as I like to see my average speed, distance, top speed etc. but would like to have something on my stem I can see in real time!

Thanks in advance, J.
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    On my 29er MTB I use a cateye Velo wireless. Easy to install , nice big display, check out their website for details. It displays actual speed and you scroll through time, distance, max speed, average speed etc.

I have bumped it around off road with no problems and being wireless no cables.
  • Can recommend a Garmin Edge 200 with GPS and it can be switched between bikes more easily(no wheel magnet, transmitter etc). @Halfords with 10% British Cycling membership discount you can have one for less than £80.
  • Semantik wrote:
    Can recommend a Garmin Edge 200 with GPS and it can be switched between bikes more easily(no wheel magnet, transmitter etc). @Halfords with 10% British Cycling membership discount you can have one for less than £80.
    +1. Just save up for a Garmin, it's worth every penny.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Another vote for Garmin here too.

I got my Edge 200 secondhand on here for £50 so if you keep an eye out you'll find one.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • If you do decide to save up for a Garmin 200 then you should change your mind and save up for a Bryton Rider 20. Usually found cheaper and also has ANT+ that the Garmin doesn't! That means you can use it with heart rate monitors and cadence sensors!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The garmin edge 200 is a good device but the edge 500 is more accurate and the screen display can be customised to show what you like from loads of options. The 500 can be set to update position every second so is even accurate enough for mountain biking. The 200 uses dynamic updating which means updates can be a lot less often reducing accuracey. I would guess your phone would be similar accuracy to the 200 but don't really know.
  • 700c
    700c Posts: 59
    Kajjal wrote:
    On my 29er MTB I use a cateye Velo wireless. Easy to install , nice big display, check out their website for details. It displays actual speed and you scroll through time, distance, max speed, average speed etc.

I have bumped it around off road with no problems and being wireless no cables.

+1. Great value, simple set up, can be had for £25 online.

Garmin edge 200 is a completely different proposition and blows the budget somewhat!