World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited October 2013 in Pro race
UCI Road World Championships ----Florence, Italy, Sept 22-29

GB

Men’s elite road race longlist (eight-man team): Mark Cavendish, Steve Cummings, Alex Dowsett, Josh Edmondson, Andy Fenn, Chris Froome, Luke Rowe, Ian Stannard, Geraint Thomas, Jonathan Tiernan-Locke, Sir Bradley Wiggins.

Men’s elite time trial: Alex Dowsett, Sir Bradley Wiggins.

Ireland

Predictably it's Martin, Roche, Deignan +1

I've seen the +1 referred to as (RR,TT) which implies that rider will do both - can't really see it not being Brammeier though he's not so sure...

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... -new-list/
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Best case scenario is it holding together for the bunch sprint and Wiggins causing a crash in the final corner ruining Cav's chance of the win ...

Restore some balance to the farce ...
  • Best case scenario is it holding together for the bunch sprint and Wiggins causing a crash in the final corner ruining Cav's chance of the win ...

Does Dan Martin take the win in this scenario?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

So whatcha reckoning, TWH, Ireland FTW?
  • The Australian 'long' list is too long to be worth posting - it's everyone who has ever seen Home and Away or Neighbours. They will however have to sign a declaration before being selected.

Doping Document

An added criteria for this year's race will be the requirement of athletes wishing to be considered for final selection signing the Cycling Australia "No Doping Declaration", a statutory declaration that obliges athletes to unequivocally state their history with drugs in sport. Athletes must, as well as stating that they understand the WADA code, and what can be considered doping infractions also nominate themselves in one of the following categories.
    Paragraph(s)

2.1. [ ] I am not now committing and never have committed an anti-doping
    rule violation when participating in or involved with cycling, or any other
    sport compliant with the World Anti-Doping Code, in Australia or elsewhere
    in the world.

2.2. [ ] I have one or more prior convictions from an Anti-doping Agency for
    an anti-doping rule violation and attached to this declaration are the
    relevant documents including the notification of any and all sanctions that
    were imposed on me.

2.3 [ ] In addition to the anti-doping rule violation/s disclosed under
    paragraph 2.2, I have committed one or more additional rule violation/s
    when participating in or involved with cycling, or another sport compliant
    with the World Anti-Doping Code, in Australia or anywhere in the world and
    attached to this declaration is a statement by me setting out all the relevant
    circumstances of each and every such activity including the dates, team
    membership and the substance/s or method/s I used. I have not been
    convicted by any Anti-doping Agency for any of those activities.

The maximum penalty for making an intentionally false statement on a statutory declaration is four years in prison.

A Martin win would be fantastic and show that a home countries rider needs only talent to succeed ... and as Gilbert is a strong favourite, after LBL, who knows ...
  • ^And before anyone mentions his name, Mick Rogers crashed last weekend and...well...

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ro ... s-campaign
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    A month or so back I was convinced a Colombian would take this but unless the Colombians at the Vuelta have been sandbagging it doesn't look likely now. Gilbert looks to be hitting form perfectly and probably an ideal course for him. Has the Italian team been announced? Maybe Moreno Moser as an outside bet?
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Im really looking forward to it, lots of GB elements to look out for

U23 men’s road race – with Simon and Adam Yates should be good, as they seem to be in some form

GB ladies elite has a lot of well known names in it, though no Wiggle riders. I presume they'll be up against Voss...

Tao Geoghegan Hart seems a top lad, so best of luck to him in the juniors
  • Ed-tron wrote:
    GB ladies elite has a lot of well known names in it, though no Wiggle riders. I presume they'll be up against Voss...

I noticed this, does anybody know why?

I can't say that I'm particularly disappointed, King and Trott's choice of glasses have really put me off them. They almost make Froome look stylish. :?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Can't find any odds on it yet.

I'll eat my hat if Tony doesn't win the TT
  • gpreeves wrote:
    Ed-tron wrote:

I can't say that I'm particularly disappointed, King and Trott's choice of glasses have really put me off them. They almost make Froome look stylish. :?

I guess one part is that Joanna Rowsell is still not fully fit. I would have thought as British Champion she would have done the time trial but she is only just back racing after the crash in London.

I would say experience is the key for Ms King and Ms Trott. Looks like they are setting up Lizzie Armistead for a head to head with Vos.
  • Der Kaiser wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:
    Ed-tron wrote:

I guess one part is that Joanna Rowsell is still not fully fit. I would have thought as British Champion she would have done the time trial but she is only just back racing after the crash in London.

I would say experience is the key for Ms King and Ms Trott. Looks like they are setting up Lizzie Armistead for a head to head with Vos.

Main reason none of Rowsell (who's back racing - won the scratch race in the Belgium International track meet in Gent at the weekend), Trott or King are riding, is because it clashes with the British Nat Track Champs. The track remains the priority for all 3 of them.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Pross wrote:
    A month or so back I was convinced a Colombian would take this but unless the Colombians at the Vuelta have been sandbagging it doesn't look likely now. Gilbert looks to be hitting form perfectly and probably an ideal course for him. Has the Italian team been announced? Maybe Moreno Moser as an outside bet?

Not yet. I doubt Moser will be in it as he's been over raced by Cannondale this year and I *think* has had to end his season already.

I think for the first time in 20+ years we have a 'dog in the race'.

Probably amongst the contenders rather than the favourites....

I think for the first time in 20+ years we have a 'dog in the race'.

Probably amongst the contenders rather than the favourites....

Whats the story with CI and Brammeier?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    Why is Froome not down for the TT? Is he suffering from post tour lack of shape?
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Why is Froome not down for the TT? Is he suffering from post tour lack of shape?

Well, he certainly was at Tour of Colorado - we'll see if he's looking in better shape at the 2 Canadian races this weekend. But he also wants to concentrate on the road race
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Hope Alex Peters gets a ride in the U23 but there is a lot of talent to choose from
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    No odds?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    No odds?
    Ladbrokes said they wouldn't accept hat-eating as a stake.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.

I've been too busy with work (:() to watch anything post Tour so I can't comment on the form of the contenders.

All I know is worlds prediction rule #1. If they don't start the Vuelta, they won't win the worlds rr.
  • Ireland
    Following his impressive ride at the Port Talbot Time Trial last weekend, Marcus Christie has been selected to race in the U23 Time Trial at the World Championships. Christie will join Ryan Mullen, who had been previously selected for the Time Trial. Eleven Irish riders will compete across the Junior, U23 and Elite Men and Women categories at the UCI Road World Championships in Toscana, Italy at the end of the month.

Nicolas Roche, who is having an outstanding performance in the Vuelta d’Espagne, will compete in the Elite Men’s Time Trial, as well as in the Road Race. Three riders have already been selected to ride in the Elite Men’s Road Race; Roche, Dan Martin, and Philip Deignan. The fourth rider will be announced following a final selection meeting next Monday, and will be selected from Matt Brammeier, Sam Bennett and Philip Lavery.
  • USA

The elite men’s road team features three automatic nominations and four discretionary selections. The three automatic nominations are Freddie Rodriguez (Berkeley, Calif./Jelly Belly Cycling), Andrew Talansky (Napa, Calif./Garmin-Sharp) and Tejay van Garderen (Boulder, Colo./BMC Racing Team)........ Joining that quartet are four discretionary selections -- Chris Horner (San Diego, Calif./Team RadioShack Leopard Trek), Taylor Phinney (Boulder, Colo./BMC Racing Team), Alex Howes (Boulder, Colo./Garmin-Sharp) and Peter Stetina (Santa Rosa, Calif/Garmin-Sharp).
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Do they air the u-23 this year or do they still don't bother...?
  • Italian jersey
    castellimagliamondiali2013_40698_2013.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    It seems Tom Boonen is not in the Belgian squad - is he injured?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I saw the Yates brothers going out for a training ride as I was riding home, riding through Prestwich they were clearly still warming up but were already flying... although it's nonsensical to look at 2 guys on bikes and judge form, they looked like they were well prepped
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Italian jersey

Not very Italian looking is it? Don't like!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    clanton wrote:
    It seems Tom Boonen is not in the Belgian squad - is he injured?
    About 4 weeks ago Boonen declared his season over. Seems he’s had a cyst for a while in what was delicately referred to as his sitting area; it was the reason he withdraw from both the Tour of Denmark and the Eneco Tour after initially planning to ride them. The hope is that the wound will heal satisfactorily if he’s off the bike.

The alternate, an operation, was decided against in case it causes the development of scar tissue, which might then cause its own problems.
    Since he also had cyst problems in 2011, OMPQ have said this coming Winter they will be analysing his saddle adjustment and seating position, to avoid similar problems next season.

In the WC TTT, which OMPQ won last year, Kwiatkowski is replacing Boonen, the rest of the team staying the same (P. Velits,Vandewalle,Terpstra,T. Martin,Chavanel).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    Italian jersey

Not very Italian looking is it? Don't like!
    Why "not very Italian looking"?
    It very 'Forza Azzurri' and that's pretty Italian.
    I give it a +