(Cheapish) Long Sleeve Rain Jacket

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
OK the weather is changing and I badly need a lightweight Long Sleeve Rain Jacket (small enough to stuff into a jersey pocket).

I have heavier (and warmer) jackets already, so just looking for something to pack for the odd shower.

I guess the key is to try and get one that is breathable but cheap (words that usually don't go together).

I've seen this one at PX that implies it has decent 'breathable properties', but no reviews

Outwet Long Sleeve Rain Jacket
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLO ... ain_jacket

I have been recommended the Endura MTR Emergency Shell - but £90 is a little more than I want to pay (or 3x). Maybe the Eudura Pakajak is another option?

Any other recommendations for around £30?
Simon

Comments

• I have an Altura Pocket Rocket which is light weight, waterproof and packs down small. Shop around and you should get one for about £50. A cheap one will do the job for a while but without taped seams it won't be fully waterproof for long.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited September 2013
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/santini%20kines%20super%20light%20packable%20jacket/santini/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/30615

If they've got your size, £36 down from £90

This is far more packable than a Rapha Rain Jacket for example, won't seem as well made as it's very thin, but it is a proper light jacket and suits your 'just looking for something to pack for the odd shower' at budget money.

They won't be there long now I've posted this I'll bet. I bought the last Large one the other day for the exact same reason of wanting something extremely packable just for the odd bad luck shower or to keep with me in case of being stranded on the side of the road for a while.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/santini-kines-jacket-mens
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Loving the Google Translate description of that PX jacket!

Technical specifications:

Trench Coat and Gilet of new clothing line "OW NO WIND NO RAIN",are the best tech technically
    and advanced articles in research of the materials suitable for sport and free time.
    These products match an absolute comfort together with an extreme lightness and minimum volume;
    in the most exposed side sewings are termo-fixed in order to avoid infiltrations.
    The esternal side is resistant till more than 10 mt of water (1 pressure BAR),therefore,
    these products are also windproof.
    The internal side is transpiring and is able to put out the umidity till 10.000 gr/square meter
    in 24 hours (human body is able to produce maximum 3.000 gr about each day).
    Tests done in several sports (from professional to fan) ahve showed the efficiency of these products
    of collection "OW NO WIND NO RAIN",IN BAD WEATHER CONDITION
  • mfin wrote:
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/santini%20kines%20super%20light%20packable%20jacket/santini/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/30615

This is far more packable than a Rapha Rain Jacket for example, won't seem as well made as it's very thin, but it is a proper light jacket and suits your 'just looking for something to pack for the odd shower' at budget money.

They won't be there long now I've posted this I'll bet. I bought the last Large one the other day for the exact same reason of wanting something extremely packable just for the odd bad luck shower or to keep with me in case of being stranded on the side of the road for a while.

How do they come up for size? Sounds Italian so assume smaller than standard UK sizes. I'm 42 chest - XL OK?

@keef66 : The description is so badly translated that it makes me wonder whether this stuff is cheap rubbish and only made to sound like it was designed for pro's (although they do appear to sponsor a pro team)
    Simon
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    @keef66 : The description is so badly translated that it makes me wonder whether this stuff is cheap rubbish and only made to sound like it was designed for pro's (although they do appear to sponsor a pro team)

The photo looks like something I saw being demonstrated at the Cycle Show last year; looks as if it shouldn't be waterproof, but it was sitting there over a bucket with a litre of water in it and nothing seeping through.
  • keef66 wrote:

The photo looks like something I saw being demonstrated at the Cycle Show last year; looks as if it shouldn't be waterproof, but it was sitting there over a bucket with a litre of water in it and nothing seeping through.

Hmm.... Thanks. Sounds like it could be worth a punt so I've just ordered the Outwet from PX.
    Simon
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    How do they come up for size? Sounds Italian so assume smaller than standard UK sizes. I'm 42 chest - XL OK?

Yes XL will be bang on I would think judging by the sizing of mine.
  • mfin wrote:

I think PX have a tongue in cheek attitude to their marketing! Obviously a lot of their gear is sourced in the Far East, their new bib-short supplier is called "Mr Pants" (at their suggestion). They were probably just messing about and translating the bumpf the manufacturer sent them.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Planet X clothing is sourced from various manufacturers Veermarc etc as well as the Far East as is a lot of clothing. They do have a tongue in cheek attitude to describing their products sometimes, they are based in Yorkshire after all, but quality is not a problem IME. :)
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Planet X clothing is sourced from various manufacturers Veermarc etc as well as the Far East as is a lot of clothing. They do have a tongue in cheek attitude to describing their products sometimes, they are based in Yorkshire after all, but quality is not a problem IME. :)

Yes I have also been very pleased with the PX clothing. I think that PX jacket is worth a chance as looks exactly what I'm looking for. It's only £30 so not a major purchase and hopefully will not be heavily used anyway. Worst case is that it will be used for (muddy) MTBing :D
    Simon
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I've seen them in the PX shop and they look just as good as others I have seen, all the clothing I have from them is still wearing well even the gloves that only cost £6. :)
  • I like some of the PX stuff, but I was disappointed with the £10 Biotex "underglove". I was expecting a slim-fitting liner glove made from some breathable, technical fabric to wear inside my winter gloves. Instead got an ill-fitting PoS that looks like a polyester kids glove you'd buy from Poundland. Rubbish!