Big fast tyres.

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Every so often I take the Cotix X onto the road ( its my gravel bike really) and realise how nice the ride is with 38mm tyres at 80psi and discs. As another disc bike is due purely for the road I will have room for big tyres. Can anyone suggest anything 28 mm or ideally bigger that rolls well. Weight is worth considering but I am not over worried about puncture protection as I reckon that nothing big will be super light/fragile anyway.
Obviously something that takes fairly high pressures would be nice. Any suggestions?

Comments

• My favourites were always Vittoria Randonneur Hyper (now called Voyager Hyper) in 37mm on my Surly Cross Check - nothing really has come close since for that type of tyre. I couldn't quite fit their 32mm version on my current tourer / commuter under mudguards so have gone with Marathon Supremes in 32mm which come up slightly narrower.
  • I have been running Gatorskins in 28mm for the first time this week on my Boardman CX and have been pleasantly surprised how comfy they are
  • Likewise I have 28mm gatorskins on my commuter, very happy with them.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Schwalbe Marathon Speed - 30mm. Flexible sidewalls but sufficient tread to be faily impermeable to punctures. 80 psi is pretty high for a tyre this big.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..