29er bikes

scaz424
scaz424 Posts: 5
edited September 2013 in MTB general
does anyone who owns a 29er tell me the pros of them I am thinking of buying one

Comments

• i dont own one but i was going to buy one a while back

pro's bigger wheels better traction from larger wheels and more roll over ability.
    con's often worse spec then there 26" similar model enless you custom build
    con's local bike shop warned that no one under the height of 6 foot tall should attempt riding one because it would look really out of proportion and funny
  • I've recently switched from 26" dual suspension to a 29" hard tail.

The bigger wheel diameter gives better traction when climbing, clears obstacles easier and keeps momentum better then a 26". 29ers also tend to suit taller riders.
    Its also been said that 29ers have better grip but i'm not sure if their is a noticeable difference.

Main reason for me to change was the ease 29ers goes over obstacles. I went quicker everywhere on the 29er - probably a personal thing
  • ive tried a few 29ers. as nice as they are i feel at home with 26" that what i know lol
  • Anyone of any height can ride a 29er just fine as long as they get the right size.
    29ers give more traction and a smoother ride and are faster for most xc and trail riders but they don't steer as well and the wheels are heavier and less strong.
    Some people like them, some don't. I think im bi-curious, I tried one and liked it but not sure im ready to buy one, something just didn't feel right to me.
  • I'm more of an XC rider and really appreciate the additional rolling momentum that a 29er will maintain. However I do tend to be wary of downhilling and taking air simply because the larger wheels look more likely to buckle under that sort of impact stress (I'm sure that I'd give a 26" more abuse!).
    I'm very happy with mine, as it suits what I do.
  • I think im bi-curious, I tried one and liked it but not sure im ready to buy one,

Same here.
  • I think im bi-curious, I tried one and liked it but not sure im ready to buy one,

Same here.

q2soHN2.jpg
  • I've had a 29er for over a year now. It's better over most surfaces and climbing but it's not as manuvable. If I was getting a new bike now, I'd go for a 650b.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Go and try a few. There's a slightly different feel to 29ers and 26ers that you may or may not like.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    I have a cube acid 2012 (upgraded to SLX drive train & Crest Wheels) and the quickest time I can complete the local Red trail (49km) is 3hours 10min. Back in June I purchased a Canyon 8.9 29er hardtail and i have completed the same loop in 2hour 50min. Obviously theres weight differences betwen the 2 bikes and a superior shock on the Canyon but my experience is a 29er will cover the distance quicker. The trail I ride has a mixture of fire road climbs, single trail, rock section etc. The 29er rolls over rougher surfaces easier than the 26" wheel and I also felt less fatigue on the 29er after longer spins. I recently completed 144Km spin in the local trail centre and the Canyon was faultless.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've had a Ritchey P29er for over a year which I run with a rigid fork. My mates on their full sus 26ers couldn't keep up on the climbs which wasn't surprising given I'm lighter than them - it was when they couldn't keep up on the downhills either they were dismayed. I can climb trails on my 29er I've never been able to ride on a 26er in 20 years. Cheap 26er wheels might be weaker, but my P35 rims on Hope hubs are bomb-proof. Been running some 3" wide Surly Knard tyres for truly awesome grip and coping with deep, dry sand.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    The missus and I have been contemplating FS 29'ers for a while and tried a few. She (being altogether better organised) has just acquired one, with a "small" size frame. I don't think there's any disadvantage for shorter riders as long as the frame is the correct size (in fact, it seems that you sit more between the wheels on a 29'er rather than over them on a 26'er). That's not to say that there aren't some benefits for the lankier rider.
    Our rides tend to be all day affairs with short "technical" sections, so the mile-munching properties of the 29'er should offer the best advantage.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Moreyn
    Moreyn Posts: 124
    I'm also considering a 29er; been looking at them for the past month or so. Canyon was one of my considered 29ers? But their sizing would put me between a SMALL & Medium? and they have a waiting list! No UK sales outlet. So I'm looking at the Trek Cobia; it has Rockshox air sprung forks, nice frame 17.5 size is just right for me. The only draw back is the Elixir 1, brakes? Diamondback Apex is a nice bike; but coil sprung forks. otherwise a cracking buy.

Would appreciate some advise on what too; and what not, to look at when considering a 29er purchase?

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Would also consider a used (like new) 29er bike?

Thanks
  • OK, start with a confession, back on a bike after 3 years and before had some nice XC full sus and hardtails. I ride XC, not in denial about what I do, prefer up to down and do a lot of cyclical trails or point to point. Target for me is SDW in a day, right now lucky to do 30 miles so some way to go.

Ok, got that out the way, after three years you almost forget what riding a bike is like, so after reading lots, being 6'3 and riding 100% XC I went for a 29er (with some trepidation).

Got to say I really like it! Taking it as a package, so include 29" hoops with 2.3" tyres (used to be full sus 2" tyre) the package is a lot smoother riding, so tractor wheel ruts etcetera and a lot less hurtful than they used to be.

Just done my fitness test 10 mile loop in the same time I used to do on my first proper ride out, and I haven't been doing any other exercise in the gap.

So my take like others here go sit ride try, but for me, as a package, noticeable difference and no regrets at all.
    James

Coffee fuelled, 365 mountain biker and off road at night most often.
  • The comments about 29er wheels being weaker is not necessarily true. If everything is equal then 29er wheels are a little weaker but a well built 29er wheel is no weaker than your average, factory built 26" wheel.
    I have ridden a Giant Anthem 29er fairly hard and I could feel a little flex in the wheels when jumping in to berms or drifting in to rooty turns but not enough to worry me and they were true at the end of the ride.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I ride mainly XC and really enjoy riding my Carve 29er. Best to give one a ride and see what you think. My wife prefers her 26er as it does not have huge wheels.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    Just picked a 29er up a week or so ago and am loving it. Went for a ride with a local roadie bunch the other day. They were ripping me for sounding like a landrover, but when I overtook half of them at 40mph with schwalbe rocket rons on they soon shut up. The main thing I've noticed with the 29er is Tue speed. Fastest I ever went on 26" was about 35. Hit 48 on 29 the other day and shat myself. (Not literally)
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • kajjal
    Foobies wrote:
    Just picked a 29er up a week or so ago and am loving it. Went for a ride with a local roadie bunch the other day. They were ripping me for sounding like a landrover, but when I overtook half of them at 40mph with schwalbe rocket rons on they soon shut up. The main thing I've noticed with the 29er is Tue speed. Fastest I ever went on 26" was about 35. Hit 48 on 29 the other day and shat myself. (Not literally)

I once hit 42mph on a fire road and know exactly what you mean ! It was bad enough until I got to the section heavily rutted by forestry trucks. At that speed any sharp turn or braking means you will wipe the bike out and sandblast your self on the fireroad grit :o

I have not repeated that again :)
  • Kajjal wrote:
    Foobies wrote:

I once hit 42mph on a fire road and know exactly what you mean ! It was bad enough until I got to the section heavily rutted by forestry trucks. At that speed any sharp turn or braking means you will wipe the bike out and sandblast your self on the fireroad grit :o

well don't you two sound like the core demographic that manufacturers should certainly focus their ongoing bikes at.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kajjal wrote:
    Foobies wrote:

well don't you two sound like the core demographic that manufacturers should certainly focus their ongoing bikes at.

Forum needs a like button.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've got a 29er Trek Stache 8. Love it to bits, rolls really well, geometry (G2) is spot on and handles trail centres great.

So much so that my Orange 5 only gets a look in when the going gets tough, (N. Wales, Alps etc).

Did the Brecon Beast on the Trek and it was spot on.
    Trek Stache 8 29er
    Orange Five Pro 2011
    Rock Lobster Team Ti (Custom) 2010
    Whyte Stirling - Hybrid
    Southdowns MTB Club http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk/
  • Kajjal wrote:
    Foobies wrote:

Just accept your sexuality and buy a road bike.
  • kajjal
    cyd190468 wrote:
    The club I ride with has an11km XC loop that we all do times on. It's very much like a world cup XC loop. We have nearly all changed to 4inch 29er duallies over the last 12 months as the top of the table began to show that in that area 26ers are not as fast. But if you're not on the clock it really comes down to personal preference and whether you value 26er fun over 29er comfort.

I noticed my 29er is faster for XC riding than my previous 26er. Still enjoy riding both :D