Bike Advice

JT_300
JT_300 Posts: 8
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking to get into road cycling and I'm after some advice with regard to what bike to get. I've done some research and I think I'm right in saying I need to spend around £550 to get a good beginner bike? And since its the 'end of the season' there are some good deals to be had on this years model, well if they have the size!

So the bikes I've looked at are as follows:

Raleigh Revenio 2.0 - £550
Felt F95 - £500
Battaglin S11 - £490

Please let me know your thoughts and any other options you care to through my way.

Thank you

JT

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If It was my choice it would be:
    1 Felt
    2 Battaglin
    3 Raleigh
    None of them are bad just my preference.

Try and get a ride on them all before you decide it is a lot of money if you get it wrong. :)
  • Thanks for reply. I've had a ride of the Raleigh but I'm going to struggle to get to test the other two. Are they going to be that much different?

Thanks
  • diamonddog
    Possibly geometry could be different, try and look at the differences if any. The gears on two of them are the same Shimano Sora which is Ok and I think the Raleigh is Shimano ST2300 which is also OK. All are entry level but if you have ridden it and like the Raleigh then go for it and above all enjoy it. :)
  • diamonddog
    By the way the Sora options are 18 speed and the 2300 is 16 speed.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Had a quick look and the Raleigh is available at £440 elsewhere. Most places will price match.

Trek and Specialized also do good bikes in your price range.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    Had a quick look and the Raleigh is available at £440 elsewhere. Most places will price match.

Could you give a link please? Is this the Revenio 2.0?

I think they're all sora but I could be mistaken!
  • kajjal
    JT_300 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Could you give a link please? Is this the Revenio 2.0?

I think they're all sora but I could be mistaken!

Sorry my mistake it was the 1.0 :oops:
  • I did do a quick search and found it cheaper! But I'm hoping to get on the cycle to work scheme, does any one know if they do it? Or how good the company is?

http://www.mailorderbikes.com/m1b0s271p ... nio_2_2013
  • diamonddog
    ^^ This, I wouldn't think they do Cycle to Work scheme.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    JT_300 wrote:
    I'm looking to get into road cycling

Which sort: racing, fitness, leisure, commuting?
  • MichaelW wrote:
    JT_300 wrote:
    I'm looking to get into road cycling

Which sort: racing, fitness, leisure, commuting?

It'll be more towards fitness and leisure with some commuting thrown in.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    For commuting, esp through winter, consider tyre and mudguard clearance.
    Do you need a racing double or compact double gearing.
    Do you need mudguard or rear rack eyelets?
  • MichaelW wrote:
    For commuting, esp through winter, consider tyre and mudguard clearance.
    Do you need a racing double or compact double gearing.
    Do you need mudguard or rear rack eyelets?

Thanks, thats something i overlooked. I've just checked the Raleigh and you can fit mudguards but I'm not going to need a rear rack.

The Raleigh is from a shop where as the other two are online, how will the online bikes be delivered? Will they require a shop to set them up? The guy in the shop said £50 for set up and £30 for service.. Is this about right?

Thanks
  • kajjal
    To give you a comparison when I bought my Road Bike for £700 the shop built it up properly and I also got a free service 6 weeks later to make sure all was OK. Generally a bike service costs about £30 if you pay full price depends on the shop and what is involved.

I setup the bike myself for free so did not pay the shop, other people can advise on the quality and cost of setups.